It’s not just about calories

Options
Hello all. I just wanted to share something with you.

I used to post on these forums a lot and I would always say it’s not as simple as calories in VS calories out. I’d have lots of people saying that it is that simple.

So during lockdown (after a long strength bulk) I decided to do a cutting experiment. I would only track my calories and only worry about meeting my calorie goal and eating enough protein (around 120grams a day)

I would eat anything or drink anything I liked but tracked it perfectly. I would have a whisky a night, I’d eat chocolate or other foods that I would normally class as “treats” saved for my cheat days.

And you wanna know what I discovered.

It makes a difference. A big one. Especially the alcohol.

I didn’t gain weight, but I didn’t lose anything either

However, As soon as I cut out the junk and drink and ate at the same calories I started dropping again.

Ive tracked my weight daily since March. I’ve now lost over 10lbs and would have lost way more if I had cut out the cheat foods sooner.

Discuss?

Replies

• lukejoycePT
    lukejoycePT Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    You didn't tell us for how long you tried this 'treat-laden' cut?
    And were your macros different with and without treats? And the same number of calories in both cases?
    And how do you know 'especially the alcohol' made a difference, did you have a period with treats and alcohol and a period with treats but without alcohol?

Without further info, I would guess it's to do with water retention.

I did the treats part for a few months. Calories were the same. Macros were similar but obviously alcohol is empty carb calories

Yes I had a period with no alcohol and treats of two weeks. It made a definite difference.

I thought about the water retention but I also took measurements 3 x a week. I know all about the woosh effect. However, I was seeing the water retention happen over the course of the week in weight fluctuations but at the end of the week my totals would be the same. Normally this would be lower, normally 1lbs lower.
  • Biggiwig69
    Biggiwig69 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Totally agree! I replaced processed bars with eggs or apples (same calories) as snacks and started losing.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    The change in diet mentioned by the OP (esp the whiskey), probably did slow his loss - in that he probably felt significantly more sluggish (particularly after the whiskey if he was no longer used to it)(he may have also not felt very well - somewhat upset stomach- if a sudden diet change) and his activity level (both neat and exercise) likely dropped quite a bit. .. but due to calories out shifting downward.
  • lukejoycePT
    lukejoycePT Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    You say nothing about your activity.

Activity was the same throughout. If anything I am training a little less now.

Those above who want to throw the science card out there or even suggest I just ate crap and didn’t log correctly. That isn’t the case. I logged correctly, I have cut and bulked many times. I weigh my food. I scan everything and double check. I food prep and have go to meals that I make regularly and have done for years.

I drink on weekends. Always have and still lost 1lbs a week but for some reason having one drink a night stalled my fat loss.

I’m not trying to say that calories aren’t the most important because I agree they are. But I’m saying, from my experience, what I eat and drink makes a difference at how fast I lose body fat.

And the guy above talking about alcohol being a 4th macro is talking nonsense. It’s essentially carbs that’s it. You can’t have alcohol without sugar. It’s empty because it doesn’t do anything for your body other than create An inflammatory Response.

Also when I said my macros were the same I mean in rough terms as in I kept my carbs below 150grams ate high protein and the rest are fats. But if we are saying that calories in vs calories out are the only factor which a lot of people on here preach then macros wouldn’t matter. I could eat just donuts and still get a six pack.