Do you follow any "diet" plan besides just calorie counting?

Options
Rannoch3908
Rannoch3908 Posts: 177 Member
So I know that the key to losing weigh is simply eating less calories (no secret or quick fix). And that it's just about lifestyle changes in the long term.

But I know many people find following an eating plan, diet plan, etc can help with their success.

Whether it's keto, intermittent fasting, low carb, weight watchers, paelo, vegetarian, dash, south beach, etc

Does anyone find that following a plan like above has helped them lose weight faster and stick to it longer?

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    It helps lots of people. Some people do better with less options. It gives them less to consider at meal time. I am the opposite.

However, I took inspiration from the Mediterranean diet and I have some DASH diet influences but mine is still custom for me.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Nope. I do make sure to hit my macros, especially my protein, but that has more to do with my gym goals than my weight loss goals.
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    I strive for what my dietician advised: half of every meal, including snacks) should be veggies. Not really a restrictive diet, though. I’m also slowly cutting down consumption of red meat, but that’s an environmental choice more than health-based.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,979 Member
    Options
    I just count calories in/out. I do try to hit my protein goal, but I don't follow any prescribed "plan".
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,125 Member
    Options
    No plan, just foods I enjoy and aiming for a minimum of protein and fiber. I don't deal well with restrictions or meal plans!
  • rosegreen12
    rosegreen12 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Protein, carbs and calories here. And 2 calorie/carb apps. Seems like the older you get the more things you need to pay attention too, at least I didn't have much problem losing weight when I was young. That's just due to genes, tho'.
  • Jacq_qui
    Jacq_qui Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    No, not for me. Always trying to eat healthier.
  • GummiMundi
    GummiMundi Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    No plan here, either. I try to keep it somewhat balanced in terms of macros, but that's it. I know that for some people structured/restrictive plans work well, but not for me. If it weren't for the freedom that MFP gives me, I would never had lost weight.
  • SeanD2407
    SeanD2407 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Once in a while i'll go heavier on protein for a few weeks and lighter on the carbs. Not for any health reasons, just because proteins and fats keep me fuller longer. I always go back to carbs in some capacity though.
  • mk820820
    mk820820 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I was just calories. After losing 52 lbs. I have been stuck at the same weight. I decided to do me to to see if a drastic change would restart my engine. In the last 6 days I have lost 6 lbs. Man it's hard not eating carbs. A silly little 100 calorie bag of popcorn is 20 carbs and that's all I supposed to eat.
  • mk820820
    mk820820 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    *do keto*
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,174 Member
    Options
    I did the "eat stuff you like at the right calories, and work on improving nutrition" plan, like a lot of people here. I even wrote up some suggestions about how to do that somewhat methodically, just with my false starts and mistakes left out.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm/p1

It's in the "Getting Started" section's "Most Helpful Posts" area now. :)
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,401 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I did the "eat stuff you like at the right calories, and work on improving nutrition" plan, like a lot of people here. I even wrote up some suggestions about how to do that somewhat methodically, just with my false starts and mistakes left out.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm/p1

It's in the "Getting Started" section's "Most Helpful Posts" area now. :)

Yes @Rannoch3908 listen to AnnP. She's my big hero <3
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    So I know that the key to losing weigh is simply eating less calories (no secret or quick fix).
    Agreed.

And that it's just about lifestyle changes in the long term.
    Only if you need to change your lifestyle, I didn't as a long term weight maintainer with a healthy diet, active and a regular exerciser but simply maintaining at too high a weight. That situation may well be unusual as it appears many had a long slow weight gain over years and did have to make lasting changes to both their diet, activity level and exercise habits to achieve and maintain their weight loss.

But I know many people find following an eating plan, diet plan, etc can help with their success.
    Yes it helped me, an eating schedule / weekly calorie level change with the added accuracy of calorie counting for a period of time rather than a change in foods. Too many people seem to go out of their way to make dieting harder and more unpleasant than it has to be!

Whether it's keto, intermittent fasting, low carb, weight watchers, paleo, vegetarian, dash, south beach, etc.
    I did 5:2 intermittent fasting for the duration of my weight loss.

Does anyone find that following a plan like above has helped them lose weight faster and stick to it longer?
    Yes it made adherence to a calorie goal easier for me (for many people 5:2 would make the process harder). I'd failed several times attempting losing weight with food exclusions and everyday calorie deficits, learning from the past was a big factor in finally being successful.
    The goal wasn't to make it faster - the goal and the outcome was to make a sensible rate of weight loss sustainable and as least unpleasant as possible.
  • SadiesBFF
    SadiesBFF Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I do 16:8 intermittent fasting. 12-8 is my eating window. I try to eat healthier but it’s hard sometimes rip
  • Tazaria87
    Tazaria87 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I do a mostly Paleo way of eating and intermittent fasting while counting calories. I absolutely love it
  • KimiAR
    KimiAR Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    For the time being keto keeps me from eating to much on what I shouldn’t so I’m using it. But it’s a tool. I’m not going to give up carbs forever but my body prefers to run on less of them than I like to indulge in.
    I’ve used ci/co before to great success... then got pregnant 😆 so back at sq one.
  • kjaylah
    kjaylah Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I’m starting with intuitive eating as I need to learn to listen to my hunger signal. So I’m just going to be aware of what I’m eating for now, and then go on a diet plan later if the intuitive eating isn’t working for weight loss.