Cheat day once a month?

Options
So I have been dieting and exercising for the last couple months with great results. I am morbidly obese and I have lost 40 pounds so far. I am on a very low carb, low calorie diet and even after 2 months I'm still craving carbs. If I have one cheat day a month where I can have unlimited carbs, would that seriously mess up my diet? This would give me something to look forward to, but I'm worried it might set me back. I am intending on working out extra the day before and the day after to hopefully offset the effects, but I don't know if that will do any good. I'm hoping for some advice. All I want is one bowl of rice lol

Replies

• SeanD2407
    SeanD2407 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Have a cheat meal instead of a cheat day. I don't like the words "cheat day" because you can easily erase 2-3 weeks of hard work in one full day.

If you feel like cheating (and cant fit it into your macros) just do a cheat meal. 1000-1500 over your daily budget won't be the worst thing in the long term.

Sometimes I feel like 6-7 different types of street tacos or a full pizza. That won't fit in my daily allowance, so I just treat myself every now and then.

But cheat meals > cheat days. imo
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    You indicate you are morbidly obese. Do you have other health conditions that make carbs off limits? If not, is there any reason you can't incorporate some carbs into your daily calories?
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    If a cheat day works for you "mentally" then do it. Just remember that you are not really getting away with anything. Over-consumption is a choice no matter how you choose to do it. If you overeat, that is eat more calories than you plan to eat, that effects the speed at which you lose weight. Arguably, an extra 1000 calories on a "cheat day" means that 2/7 of a pound won't be lost that month. Balance the importance of the two choices, 2/7 of a pound versus a day of an extra 1000 calories TO YOU. The only thing that matters is the balance TO YOU. Make your choice accordingly.

What everyone else said about balance and determining how much under to eat still applies. You really do need some carbohydrates in your diet -- as well as fats and protein. There are many ideas about what the balances should be. None have been specifically shown to correlate with weight loss (total or speed) over the long haul so do what works for you while striving for health through balance.
  • podperson1
    podperson1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    One bowl of rice isn't going to set you back. A day of 'unlimited' carbs might be a bit more worrying.

Try and work them into your plan. For example, I eat pretty low carb most of the time but I allow myself one carb-heavy meal a week - so something like fries or pizza that I get cravings for. I still try and work on portion size though and listen to my body's hunger cues. Previously I could have easily scoffed the whole pizza down, now after a few slices I can feel myself being full.

I also find that the scales always go up the day after, mainly due to sodium content I think, so I try and make sure I'm drinking plenty of water to counteract that.
  • Lynatea
    Lynatea Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I'm finding for myself, that on a 'cheat day' that I feel sick afterword. So, they are few and far between for me. I'll typically eat at maintenance calories or have one item that I've been craving, rather than go all out.
  • papayahed
    papayahed Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I tried low carb for bit but when I started having dreams about oranges I knew it wasn't for me. It sounds like your bowl of rice. lol. Like a few other people mentioned a cheat meal like twice a month or whatever works for you might be a better option.