Meal replacement shakes

Does anyone drink any meal replacement shakes? I know lots of people are against them however I know they can create quite a deficit in the short term for weight loss. Does anyone else drink them? If so, how many per day and what kind?

Replies

• Lynatea
    Lynatea Posts: 311 Member
    No shakes for me either, I'd rather eat my meals.
  • Chutchins0619
    Chutchins0619 Posts: 2 Member
    I do after the gym, I eat two meals and since I IF I do a shake. I also don’t starve myself. I guess it’s what everyone feels they are comfortable with. I don’t eat enough calories in a Day sometimes so the shake helps with that
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I use them from time to time, but for me they are to help me get calories in vs. try to lose weight. I find them convenient and better than no food at all. I will have them sometimes a few times a week to a few times a month depending on my schedule.
  • BrittanyFarrell1
    BrittanyFarrell1 Posts: 25 Member
    edited June 2020
    I always keep one in my lunch bag for if I'm feeling snack-y and want something "sweet" or if I'm running around a classroom and dont have time to sit down and eat my morning breakfast I'll drink one. But I end up feeling hungry about 2 hours late if I dont follow it up with at least 8 ounces of water
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    @JackieFernandez87 Jackie, it's true. Shakes don't have a high satiety factor. I enjoy them as an add-on. They're a good Grab N Go item when you don't have a lorra lorra time. A couple of scoops of any of them will do you in a pinch.
  • Jacq_qui
    Jacq_qui Posts: 429 Member
    I was on them for years. I found it difficult to reinstate food again, I hadn't learnt what I should be eating instead. But that was me! I would eat them if I was ill or something and couldn't cope with cooking!
  • sofrances
    sofrances Posts: 156 Member
    edited June 2020
    I occasionally have some of the "Fast 800" shake.

I don't generally use them to replace food on a daily basis. I use them:
    (a) when things really get on top of me and things don't have time to prepare healthy food.
    (b) if I'm targeting a particular calorie level and my "real" food doesn't quite get me there, so I need an easy and healthy way to top up.
    (c) when I want to top up my protein (the shake I use is pretty high in protein).

So, for me, the priority is finding a healthy meals replacement shake to have on standby - a lot of them aren't healthy. And they very rarely form more than 500 calories on a given day, and most days I don't use them at all.
  • mc62412
    mc62412 Posts: 195 Member
    I do shakes. I do the equate meal replacement shakes. They have vanilla chocolate and strawberry. In the beginning I felt hungry, but now when I drink it they hold me over a good 3-4 hours.
    I’ll grab one in the morning if I’m running late or if I have to get to work for 5am and there’s no time to cook breakfast.
    I usually only drink mine in the morning for breakfast/brunch depending on how busy my day is.
  • AgnesFerniot
    AgnesFerniot Posts: 62 Member
    They don’t work for me, give me terrible food binge backlashes
  • clairesbubbe
    clairesbubbe Posts: 18 Member
    I have one for lunch. I am usually hungry several hours afterwards so I have either cottage cheese or an apple. I use Procaps chocolate secure with a cup of dark chocolate almond milk. I add some water and shaved ice then mix it in a bender. it's a complete meal replacement. The water doesn't dilute the flavor but it prevents it from being too thick to go through a straw.
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    I do shakes for breakfast sometimes. I like the pre-made Pure Protein or Ensure for a quick grab-and-go. I also like the Elevation Chocolate Whey Protein from Aldi. I keep a jar of that and a blender bottle at work. It dissolves well in water and it tastes good, plus its super cheap.
  • tryingtobehealthy37
    tryingtobehealthy37 Posts: 17 Member
    rhaiin wrote: »
    I do shakes for breakfast sometimes. I like the pre-made Pure Protein or Ensure for a quick grab-and-go. I also like the Elevation Chocolate Whey Protein from Aldi. I keep a jar of that and a blender bottle at work. It dissolves well in water and it tastes good, plus its super cheap.

I’ve never seen one in Aldi which part should I look in? Thanks

• mc62412
    mc62412 Posts: 195 Member

It’s In the aisle with the cereal ... at least in my aldi it is.
  • tryingtobehealthy37
    tryingtobehealthy37 Posts: 17 Member
    mc62412 wrote: »

It’s In the aisle with the cereal ... at least in my aldi it is.

Thanks I will have a look next time I’m in there