Help please ... Why I'm gaining weight instead of loosing it!

Options
MimiKitta
MimiKitta Posts: 2 Member
Hi,

I'm 58 years old women, 128.1 Kg, My doctor put me on 800 calories diet.
I lost 2 Kg for the first 2 weeks then I start to gain instead of losing weight.
my diet is the same, 2 replacement meals + light dinner, I don't exercise.

any idea why? or how I can improve it? I need to lose weight as much as I can before my coming surgery. Thanks

Replies

• MimiKitta
    MimiKitta Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm but my next appointment with the doctor is in July and I thought if someone else had the same experience before. anyway thanks
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Agree with the above posters, and also if it's only been a few days, give it time. You need to monitor the trend over weeks, not days.
  • age_is_just_a_number
    age_is_just_a_number Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Are you really only eating the 800 calories a day your doctor prescribed?
    Perhaps you are not logging everything you eat?
    What is that light dinner made up of?
    What proportion of carbs, protein and fat are you eating?
    800 calories is really low. Presumably your doctor is one who specializes in rapid weight loss for 250+ pound people. If they are not, then you need to talk with them about the rationale for that large calorie deficit.
    Good luck with the surgery.
  • rockconner
    rockconner Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'm no doctor & you should follow their advice, but 800 calories per day seems quite low. Sometimes if you eat too little it changes your metabolism & hinders weight loss. Many sources I've encountered recommend no less than 1000 calories per day for women.
  • Beautyofdreams
    Beautyofdreams Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    I have been on a doctor supervised 800 calorie diet myself. They have their place. I would look at the aspects of your diet that are not pre-weighed and measured. Purchase a food scale that weighs to the gram. Weigh all food that you eat in its raw state or frozen state to the gram. Follow package serving sizes or your diet's suggested serving sizes. Do not go by measuring utensils since there is some variability in them. Track the weight on one scale only. Follow its weight trend. If you are already doing all of the above and still gaining then consult your doctor. Good luck with your upcoming procedure.
  • nurabh94
    nurabh94 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water? This is an important factor with dieting especially when you’re on such a low calorie input. I think as well the light dinners probably need to be looked at as some people above have said. If you can, definitely discuss with your doctor as it’s not right for you to be gaining with such a low input unless you’re moving even less/with a thyroid issue/and a lower BMR?

Good luck I wish you all the best!! 💕
  • roger00022000
    roger00022000 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    It almost sounds to me like your metabolism has gone into starvation mode. This is when the body doesn't get enough intake and in order to function correctly, begins store everything rather than burn off the calories. I have had that happen because of the job I was doing. I was only eating a single medium to high calorie meal a day, and my body just started to store everything as fat for future use, rather than burn it off. As a result, I gained a heck of a lot of pounds even though I wasn't eating much.
  • Mazakdude
    Mazakdude Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My situation is totally different but I may be able to offer some encouragement. I’m 43 years and male so that makes a huge difference. In September of 2019 I weighed in at 141kg with high blood pressure. I began tracking my calories with MFP and found to my discouragement that my calorie intake didn’t match up to what I weighed. Without any changes to my diet I was consuming between 2000 and 2300 calories a day. Before anyone asks, yes that’s tracking everything from my Caesar salad to the honey I put in my tea. It’s unusual for someone to maintain the weight I was at on the calories I was taking in. I found that if I broke my calories up into more meals that it helped. I never ate breakfast so all my calories came in two meals. Really one late in the evening since my lunch was usually a PB&J sandwich or similar. I added several small snacks to my day and replaced my lunch time sandwich with a 30 minute walk (about all I could manage). My weight started to come down immediately. Since then Ive lost 50kg and my blood pressure is back to normal and I’ve been able to add much more exercise to my routine. That’s 50kg in 9 months without a VLCD. I’m not a physician but my suggestion would be, spread your calories out over the day and try to add as much activity as you can tolerate. More than anything don’t give up! Every little bit that you do that much closer to where you want to be.
  • Hooliekom
    Hooliekom Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    It almost sounds to me like your metabolism has gone into starvation mode. This is when the body doesn't get enough intake and in order to function correctly, begins store everything rather than burn off the calories. I have had that happen because of the job I was doing. I was only eating a single medium to high calorie meal a day, and my body just started to store everything as fat for future use, rather than burn it off. As a result, I gained a heck of a lot of pounds even though I wasn't eating much.

Starvation mode isn't actually a thing. Also, how do you think you GAINED weight if you weren't eating much? You only store fat if you are taking in more calories than your body can use, so you were probably eating more than you thought you were, or things that were calorie dense (that didn't seem to be all that much food). Or you were retaining water.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    I personally don't know any medical professional who would put someone on 800 cal aday but I do know of alternative medicine folks who would. I'm going out on a limb but this sounds exactly like what many chiropractors are doing. Two drinks and a meal. 800 cal.

Are you prepping for WLS, weight loss surgery?
  • rockconner
    rockconner Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I have been on a doctor supervised 800 calorie diet myself. They have their place. I would look at the aspects of your diet that are not pre-weighed and measured. Purchase a food scale that weighs to the gram. Weigh all food that you eat in its raw state or frozen state to the gram. Follow package serving sizes or your diet's suggested serving sizes. Do not go by measuring utensils since there is some variability in them. Track the weight on one scale only. Follow its weight trend. If you are already doing all of the above and still gaining then consult your doctor. Good luck with your upcoming procedure.

When I ate like that for a few weeks I didn't lose either. My experience indicates there's such a thing in the brief term as eating too little to efficiently burn fat. Since I brought my daily intake up around 1300 calories (I'm a guy) I've lost much more weight per week.