heavy women with tattoos and lost weight- advice?

Options
I'm looking for some personal stories from heavier women (size 18) who have had tattoos (lower back and outside of thigh from top to 3/4 down), and how did they look after you lost weight? I'm about to go get one, but don't want it to look all weird and wrinkly after lol. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

Replies

• bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    No personal experience, but a good tattoo artist can do amazing things with coverups and touchups. I'm sure they'd be able to fix you up somehow.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    I don't have a tattoo where you're talking about however, I do have one on my hip. It does grow/shrink with me...it's not very detailed so I can't really tell you about that but it does grow and shrink...
  • lguy29
    lguy29 Posts: 131
    Options
    I want to get a tattoo as well, but I'm not going to do it until I'm where I want to be with my body. A good goal/incentive for you!
  • SuperScrabbleGirl
    SuperScrabbleGirl Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I would avoid any area that you're expecting to reduce or enlarge in a big way.
  • Tankplanker
    Tankplanker Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    If its going to be a decent size I'd really recommend waiting till you've lost your weight. I want a full back tattoo and I'm not even going for the initial consultation until after I am at my goal weight as it will change as my shape changes.

If its a small tattoo then go for it, it'll only get smaller as you lose weight.
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    I hear tattoos hurt
  • audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I want to get a tattoo as well, but I'm not going to do it until I'm where I want to be with my body. A good goal/incentive for you!

Good idea...this would be great incentive to lose weight and not worry about what it looks like afterwards:wink:
  • editara13
    editara13 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I would suggest that you focus on getting to your desired weight goal first and then after that reward yourself with the tattoo. Have a great Journey with MFP :-)

3574379.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    As long as you stay toned, mine have simply grown and shrunk with my weight.
  • ajfranzen77
    Options
    I have a tattoo on my lower back and so far there is no change. However, I do have one that I got before I gained all my weight and it got stretched and now as I am loosing it looks really really bad! It will be removed in the future. If you are in the process of loosing weight I would wait until you are almost to your goal weight before getting one. I personally wouldn't want to spend that kind of money to get something just to have to turn around and pay again to have it touched up or fixed.

Good Luck!
  • ginny1214
    Options
    Well...lol
    I have a lower back tat, one on my hip, and one across my lower atomic, just above my csection scar. The one above my incision line looks horrible. I mean I was pregnant bout it was very low. I'll be getting it covered up eventually, one on my hip looks even better than before!! Ha ha one n back noticed it got bigger as I started gaining but I guess a loss of 25 lbs doesn't make a diff on that one
  • Pidders89
    Pidders89 Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    its not where you have asked about but i have a tattoo on my ribs to my hip and it has just grown with me, i think it depends how quickly you are losing it and if the skin has time to adapt too xxx
  • Kalrez
    Kalrez Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Wait until you're close to your goal. If you get it now, there's always the chance that your body will change and the tat will look godawful afterwards. It's definitely worth the wait to ensure that it's going the look the way you want it to look, as opposed to hoping that it doesn't get distorted.

That's the situation I'm in now. I want to get a phoenix on my side/rib. But I'm waiting till I get to my goal so that it won't look like hell when I'm done.

I'd rather wait than take my chances.
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Please excuse my blunt reply.

You mentioned that you did not want your tattoo to be wrinkly. Remember, tattoos are for life. Eventually, it will get wrinkly anyway, because unfortunately, that is how all our skin will get to be at a certain age. If you are okay with this, then I don't think you have much cause to worry about it being wrinkled otherwise. IMHO.
  • mdperry
    Options
    I'm waiting until I'm at my goal weight. I am afraid of how it would look after my body changed.
  • Melmade
    Melmade Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I would ask the people at the tattoo place. It seems like most I've seen tend to stretch/shrink with your skin, depending on your skin's elasticity. I think they could touch up later if the shape is distorted. I think if you have stretch marks you could use Mederma to minimize those and help your skin's ability to bounce back. Also, slow and steady on the weight loss will help give your skin time to retract. I've seen too many times people losing weight really fast only to be left with droopy pouches. It's also hereditary, so like I said, ask the tattooist. Usually they know best if they're experienced.
  • AliDarling
    Options
    i got the tramp stamp, but for me, that area hasnt been effect much, or since i dont really show it off, hasnt mattered. when i lost all my weight and inches the first time, (size 32 to a 14) pre pregancy, it shrunk a bit cause of all the excess skin. it looked liked how it should have.
  • aethompson5507
    aethompson5507 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    i have one on my lower back, and im a size 18. and i wasnt when i got it done. i can tell its gotten a little bit bigger but as long as your toning as your losing the weight you really should be fine.
  • DietingMommy08
    DietingMommy08 Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    I have a tattoo across my lower back... when I lost weight before it seemed to look better... it actually went across my lower back... when I gained my weight back it seemed to get smaller as I got wider, it dnt go across my lower back anymore. Lmfao.

I did however get a tattoo on my outer thigh recently so idk how thats gonna look when I lose weight....

As well as my half sleeve... I am also wondering how that is gonna look when I lose weight.

Haha.