Macros

Options
I'm trying to zero in on my nutrition and want to start tracking my macros. I've used 3 different online calculators and they've all given me different numbers that aren't even close. One told me that I should be eating 80 grams of protein per day, the other said almost 200! That's a huge difference. How can I find the right formula for protein, carbs and fat?

Replies

• KristyBlack
    KristyBlack Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Using percentages makes more sense than using actual numbers for many of us since our calorie numbers change. My aim is 40% carbs, 30% fat and 30% protein. I came up with these percentages by reading various sites recommendations for an old fart with Type II, sites like https://www.cdc.gov/diabetes/managing/eat-well/diabetes-and-carbohydrates.html, etc.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,034 Member
    Options
    Using percentages makes more sense than using actual numbers for many of us since our calorie numbers change. My aim is 40% carbs, 30% fat and 30% protein. I came up with these percentages by reading various sites recommendations for an old fart with Type II, sites like https://www.cdc.gov/diabetes/managing/eat-well/diabetes-and-carbohydrates.html, etc.

I agree that this ^^^ can be true. It's straightforward, and as long as practical minimums are hit, that's great. But another (competing) idea can also be true.

My calories vary quite a lot day to day, too. I figured out my goals in grams for protein and fats, and rounded to easy-to-remember numbers. I just eat to those numbers as minimums every day**, and if there are calories left once the nutrition is set, I eat whatever I feel like (sometimes including the "4th macro" (<= kidding), alcohol (<= not kidding). When the numbers at the bottom of my diary turn a mix of red and green, I just pretend it's Christmas. ;)

** I also count veggie/fruit servings and shoot for a minimum there, too.

Nutrition is important, but multiple strategies can make sense for different people. I'd observe that some people - endurance athletes are a common example - could shoot themselve in the foot using pure percentages. Those distance cycle/run people get thousands of extra calories some days, and they need quite a few of them to be carbs. Filling out that kind of calorie hole with protein or fats might be a little too satiating to be practical for some, besides.
  • grob49
    grob49 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    The rule of thumb for protein is 1 to 1.5 grams of protein per pound. You can up that to 2 if you're in a bulking phase
  • RockingWithLJ
    RockingWithLJ Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    grob49 wrote: »
    The rule of thumb for protein is 1 to 1.5 grams of protein per pound. You can up that to 2 if you're in a bulking phase

Depends on what he needs, yes? Goals matter when macro planning. 0.8-1g of protein per lb is great for fat burning.
  • srwwiley
    srwwiley Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello Fit Family - Started, or shall I say re-started my fitness journey, 5/6/2020 after a year or so off.... In the gym doing HIIT and strength training 5 days a week with a 20 minute cardio blast prior. Normally I leave the gym burning 600-700 calories and pretty damn happy. Really started dialing in my macros 40P/40F/20Cin the last month... fast forward to today, I have only lost 1.4% body fat but gained 2 lbs of muscle..... My stats are age 57, 5.7, 140 lbs, current BF 27.6, goal body fat 20%....... I guess my question is my daily MFP goal is set at 1500, is this enough calories to consume and are my macros correct for fat loss? Thank you for any advice that can be offered.