Vegetarian weight loss tips?

Options
juliedes96
juliedes96 Posts: 1 Member
Any vegetarians have advice on weightloss nutrition?

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,398 Member
    Options
    Eat what you like, just less. Might sound trivial, but that's all you need for weightloss. Try not to eat too little protein (for muscles) and fat (fatty acids, brain function, intestine happiness), other than that it doesn't matter.
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Rely more on "real" food rather than processed things aimed at vegetarians. It will save you a lot of money too. I eat a lot of vegetables, legumes, grains etc as well as seasonal fruit when it's good (right now I'm on a big plums kick because they're great but that's not going to last). Experiment with cooking, makes it more fun.
  • SeanD2407
    SeanD2407 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Gonna be tough since vegetarian protein sources are higher in calories (nuts and seeds) , but it can be done. As for weight loss its about calorie deficit and not so much macros.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    SeanD2407 wrote: »
    Gonna be tough since vegetarian protein sources are higher in calories (nuts and seeds) , but it can be done. As for weight loss its about calorie deficit and not so much macros.

Nuts and seeds actually aren't major protein sources for most vegetarians. They are calorie-dense and most people (especially those looking to lose weight) should treat them as a good source of fat, not protein. Plant-based protein sources include beans, tofu, tempeh, seitan, TVP, and soy milk. There is also a fair amount of additional protein in things like grains and vegetables. Also, if OP is a lacto-ovo vegetarian, they're still getting animal protein from things like dairy and eggs.

OP, as others have said, focus on creating a calorie deficit and make sure you're getting sufficient protein (which isn't that hard when you're regularly eating the foods above).
  • VeggieMeg71
    VeggieMeg71 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Let me start by saying I'm not a "clean" eater. I've been losing about 2 pounds per week by filling at least half of my plate with fruits and vegetables, and the rest grains (whole grains, when possible) and proteins. Typically my macro distribution ends up being approximately 50% carbs, 30% fat, and 20% protein. My protein sources are beans, seitan, eggs, plain Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, soy milk, tofu, and tempeh, and I do eat store-bought, processed meat alternatives, but not all of the time. I try to get 60 g of protein per day and at least 25 g of fiber. I've tried to cut back on foods with added sugar, and I'm not going to lie, I use artificial sweeteners on occasion and drink a can of Coke Zero daily. No apologies. I have been cooking at home almost all of the time (due to stay-at-home orders) and exercising 40 - 60 minutes each day. What works for me may not work for others, but I hope you find this information helpful. Feel free to ask me questions if you want!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Let me start by saying I'm not a "clean" eater. I've been losing about 2 pounds per week by filling at least half of my plate with fruits and vegetables, and the rest grains (whole grains, when possible) and proteins. Typically my macro distribution ends up being approximately 50% carbs, 30% fat, and 20% protein. My protein sources are beans, seitan, eggs, plain Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, soy milk, tofu, and tempeh, and I do eat store-bought, processed meat alternatives, but not all of the time. I try to get 60 g of protein per day and at least 25 g of fiber. I've tried to cut back on foods with added sugar, and I'm not going to lie, I use artificial sweeteners on occasion and drink a can of Coke Zero daily. No apologies. I have been cooking at home almost all of the time (due to stay-at-home orders) and exercising 40 - 60 minutes each day. What works for me may not work for others, but I hope you find this information helpful. Feel free to ask me questions if you want!

Haha, I'll also cop to being a member of the vegetarian/vegan Coke Zero club. Same here -- one can a day!