Starting to exercise

Hello everyone

I’m not new to MFP but have decided to get myself fit and healthy.

I was exercising this time last year and was just about running a 5k And doing an hours personal training each week, but then I got tired and ill with sinus problems which stopped everything. Over the next few months I caught every virus going and ended up crashing and off work several weeks at a time.

Due to this lockdown I’ve had time to recover properly and would like to start exercising again but am not sure how to start? I went on a long walk recently and then suffered with lower backache for a week.

I am 3 stones overweight and am now on a mission to get that down using MFP.

Could anyone kindly make any suggestions on how I should gradually start to get my fitness back again?

Many thanks.

Alison.

Replies

• netitheyeti
    netitheyeti Posts: 539 Member
    I started working out again earlier this year after months of being *really really* sedentary... I started with really easy low impact workouts I found on youtube that I could do in my living room (for example, fitnessblender has a decent amount of stuff that's pretty beginner friendly), and then I slowly added in harder/longer videos. I admittedly don't know much about back pain and how exercise might make it worse tho
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    You used the right word Alison - "gradually".
    If a long walk is too much for you right now then try a short walk and build up from what you can manage.

Starting to do some sensible weight / resistance training would be a good idea too. Back problems are often made worse by muscle weakness. Not just the big muscles but all the small muscles that help with back mobility and posture. I can't fix the structural problems with my lower back but life is far bette and much higher functionality when I keep my core muscles strong.
  • imxnianne
    imxnianne Posts: 216 Member
    What goals are you looking for?

Just to lose weight? Are you wanting to workout just cardio, or add in strength training? Are you wanting to tone, or just drop down weight in general?

If you just want to lose weight, it’s very much easier even without working out. You don’t need to limit yourself to anything. Best way is calorie deficit. Make sure to track everything you consumed and weight them correctly.

If you want more toning, it’ll be with easier with cardio and dumbbells. More reps, even with little weight will improve the physique.

When you meet your goal, you’ll end up wanting to eat healthier when you feel better for maintaining the results.

It’s not a month long journey.
    It’s a forever journey! Stay healthy and hope you hit your goal!
  • alison6902
    alison6902 Posts: 12 Member
    Im grateful for your replies Very useful information. Feel like I can Now start to get moving. 👍😃
  • alison6902
    alison6902 Posts: 12 Member
    Goals are to drop the weight and tone up so cardio and strength training. Thanks again everyone. I’ll keep you posted. 👍