Advice on breaking a plateau?

Options
Hi everyone! Since February, I have lost about 30 pounds and am still going. However, I think I've reached a plateau. My weight is staying the same, not going up or down. According to my Apple Watch, I normally burn around 1700-2000 calories a day. Well today I checked, and I only burned 1,276. I am in a 1,200 calorie deficit, so that right there is what is making me believe I've hit a plateau. If you guys could give me your thoughts and opinions, and advice on what to do to break my plateau, I would really appreciate it! Thank you! :)

Replies

• harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Have you recalculated your calories to make sure you are still in a calorie deficit?

What is your height and current weight?
  • Hanibanani2020
    Hanibanani2020 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Well you can’t go any lower so are you definitely weighing all your food correctly? How about exercise? Change it up maybe?
  • malliemajorz
    malliemajorz Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Yes, I calculate all the calories I consume daily very carefully, I am very sure I never go over 1,200. I am 5’4 and 180 now, my starting weight was 209.
  • harper16
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Yes, I calculate all the calories I consume daily very carefully, I am very sure I never go over 1,200. I am 5’4 and 180 now, my starting weight was 209.

You are using a food scale? What type of exercise do you do that is burning 2,000 calories a day, and do you eat back those calories?
  • Hanibanani2020
    Options
    Do you hit 1200 though? Have you considered having a week of eating at a higher rate as a diet break? That helped me
  • malliemajorz
    Options
    harper16 wrote: »
    Have you recalculated your calories to make sure you are still in a calorie deficit?

Yes, I calculate all the calories I consume daily very carefully, I am very sure I never go over 1,200. I am 5’4 and 180 now, my starting weight was 209. Is there a chance my body could be becoming used to my deficit, therefore it is burning less?
  • harper16
    Options

Yes, I calculate all the calories I consume daily very carefully, I am very sure I never go over 1,200. I am 5’4 and 180 now, my starting weight was 209. Is there a chance my body could be becoming used to my deficit, therefore it is burning less?

The minimum a sedentary female should be eating is 1200 calories a day, so definitely don't go any lower.

How much weight are you trying to lose?
  • malliemajorz
    Options
    Do you hit 1200 though? Have you considered having a week of eating at a higher rate as a diet break? That helped me

This might be the problem. Most of the time I am only consuming between 800-1000 calories. I do have about two cheat meals a week though where I might go over a little bit of my calories, but I never thought of it that way. I will try that, thank you!
  • malliemajorz
    Options

The minimum a sedentary female should be eating is 1200 calories a day, so definitely don't go any lower.

I am trying to lose about 50-60 more pounds by next year. I do have a food scale, and I try to walk 10,000 steps everyday along with HIIT workouts. As I replied to the other person, most of the days I am not even close to reaching 1,200. I normally consume 800-1000, could that be a factor?
  • Hanibanani2020
    Options
    You’re not even close to enough calories and are dangerously low. I suggest speaking with a dietician. You’re starving yourself which is not an effective way to lose weight long term and puts your health in great danger
  • harper16
    Options

I am trying to lose about 50-60 more pounds by next year. I do have a food scale, and I try to walk 10,000 steps everyday along with HIIT workouts. As I replied to the other person, most of the days I am not even close to reaching 1,200. I normally consume 800-1000, could that be a factor?

Yes. Eating that little isn't healthy. You should consider dropping your weight loss to 1 lb a week which is healthy weight loss.