Belly fat

Options
Okay guys so I know when in a calorie deficit you can’t target a certain area...but if I’m reducing my calories will my belly fat come off a little bit?
I literally have what I call a hanging basket hahahaha!
But I would like a smaller belly so I don’t look 5 months pregnant
Is there anything else I have to do to reduce this?

Replies

• Lildarlinz
    Lildarlinz Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Hi Ann
    How do I know if I have enough total body fat? Xx
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    If you have enough total body fat to keep losing weight, and stay healthy, then odds are decent that you'll lose some abdominal fat as you lose weight. For many of us, that's the last fat store to deplete. If you don't have enough total body fat to keep losing weight, then recomposition (staying at the same weight, but strength training to slowly gain muscle mass) would be another option, but slow.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,432 Member
    Options
    Lildarlinz wrote: »
    Hi Ann
    If you have enough total body fat to keep losing weight, and stay healthy, then odds are decent that you'll lose some abdominal fat as you lose weight. For many of us, that's the last fat store to deplete. If you don't have enough total body fat to keep losing weight, then recomposition (staying at the same weight, but strength training to slowly gain muscle mass) would be another option, but slow.

BMI is a potential screener, so is height to waist-size ratio. There are online estimators for body fat percent, and although a BIA scale will be inaccurate for body fat percent, it will probably not be way out in left field, if values from multiple days are averaged, so it would give you an idea generally where you are, with a margin of error.

None of those are 100% definitive - they're just ways of approximating, or figuring out who needs a closer look. If in doubt, and none of the screening kinds of things help you figure it out, I'd suggest discussing the question with your doctor, asking if in her/his opinion it would be safe for you to lose more weight.
  • Lildarlinz
    Options
    I did my BMI and I was 25.9 I am now 24.9 so I have lost weight but I don’t know whether I have lost any fat
    Saying that I brought a scale the other day that measures body fat I think I was 33 or 34 and now I’m 30.8 so I don’t know if that makes a difference x
    Hi Ann

BMI is a potential screener, so is height to waist-size ratio. There are online estimators for body fat percent, and although a BIA scale will be inaccurate for body fat percent, it will probably not be way out in left field, if values from multiple days are averaged, so it would give you an idea generally where you are, with a margin of error.

None of those are 100% definitive - they're just ways of approximating, or figuring out who needs a closer look. If in doubt, and none of the screening kinds of things help you figure it out, I'd suggest discussing the question with your doctor, asking if in her/his opinion it would be safe for you to lose more weight.

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    So, if you have a bf% around 30, it means you still have a good bit of fat to lose. Continue with your deficit and do some exercise to maintain your muscle mass. When you get your bmi closer to 21, I'm guessing you will notice changes in your bf also. If you notice a trend down in weight, but not fat, you probably need to increase strength training.
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Hi Ann

For menstruating women, formerly regular periods turning irregular or stopping altogether is also a sign that weight/fat loss may have gone too far and a doctor should be consulted.
  • Lildarlinz
    Options
    Thank you moosie
    So if I continue with the calorie deficit and lose the fat, I should see a bit of my tummy shrinking? Xx
    So, if you have a bf% around 30, it means you still have a good bit of fat to lose. Continue with your deficit and do some exercise to maintain your muscle mass. When you get your bmi closer to 21, I'm guessing you will notice changes in your bf also. If you notice a trend down in weight, but not fat, you probably need to increase strength training.

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    This thread is really helpful and it's pretty much the plan I have followed to get back after gaining or my pregnancies.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Yes, it just can take a while depending on how you carry your weight. For example, my weightloss showed immediately on my chest, then belly, then thighs. But, I still have a stubborn area of fat and skin on my belly that doesn't go away unless borderline underweight/fat. Other people hold on to weight more in their upper bodies. If you tend to be thicker on top/middle, it might take longer than for someone who tends to hold fat in their butt/thighs.
  • Lildarlinz
    Options
    Great stuff thank you!
    Someone told me I wouldn’t loss the weight on my belly! I know it won’t come off in one specific area but a few years back I didn’t eat for 6 weeks and I lost loads of weight and I had a flattish tummy (grief it was naughty I know) so it just didn’t make sense
    As I said I’m not expecting abs I’m just want a flatter tummy!

Thank you so much! Now I don’t feel defeated or like I’ve been losing weight for nothing xx
    Yes, it just can take a while depending on how you carry your weight. For example, my weightloss showed immediately on my chest, then belly, then thighs. But, I still have a stubborn area of fat and skin on my belly that doesn't go away unless borderline underweight/fat. Other people hold on to weight more in their upper bodies. If you tend to be thicker on top/middle, it might take longer than for someone who tends to hold fat in their butt/thighs.

• sakurablossoms82
    sakurablossoms82 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Since I started MFP 3 weeks ago I already lost 3cm around my hips and about 1cm around my waist. But next to tracking my intake I also started to exercise more on a daily basis. So if it's because of me eating less calories or because I exercise more no idea.
  • SyrumNeko
    SyrumNeko Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My advice is to take the body fat scale result with a MASSIVE pinch of salt - every scale I've ever used over the years has put my bf% around the 30-32% mark, regardless of my weight or measurements at the time (at one point I was a size 8 and fairly muscular, at another a 14 and flabby) which made no sense to me. Anyway, got measured properly with calipers and apparently I'm around the 22-23% mark at the moment. Even that's not exact, but looking at photos of other women online around that bf% it does fit for my current shape! I'd love to get to use a bodpod one day, or a DEXA scan!

Focus on carrying on with what you're doing, keep your sugar intake low (it's AMAZING how much sugar can make you bloat!), make sure you're getting the right macronutrient ratio for you, and you'll see a reduction in your tummy pouch - though I know the wait won't be easy as these things always feel like they're taking FOREVER!