Sweet tooth

Hi so I’m just starting out on my calorie counting journey.
I have a really sweet tooth. Would it harm to have a little something sweet every day aslong as it’s in my calorie allowance?
Thanks in advance

Replies

• harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Nope. Enjoy.
  • carlsberglewis1
    carlsberglewis1 Posts: 45 Member
    Your body is craving salt, not something sweet..
    Mix a teaspoon of salt in some slightly warm water, and just neck it..

Thanks me later
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Go for it and enjoy.

My advice for dealing with a sweet tooth: pay attention to how it operates. For example, mine is a greedy little *kitten* that keeps wanting more and more if I give it something. So, as a result, I only have sweets as an evening snack because otherwise I keep craving and giving into the craving all day long. Some lunch places I frequent give a piece of chocolate for dessert, and eating that one piece of chocolate after lunch often spins my day into a sugar-hunting frenzy (or carbs, in general).
  • tryingtobehealthy37
    tryingtobehealthy37 Posts: 17 Member
    Your body is craving salt, not something sweet..
    Mix a teaspoon of salt in some slightly warm water, and just neck it..

Thanks me later

That’s very interesting honestly never thought of that. It’s always about 7pm I start craving sweet stuff.
    Thank you I am going to try that

• tryingtobehealthy37
    tryingtobehealthy37 Posts: 17 Member
    hipari wrote: »
    Go for it and enjoy.

My advice for dealing with a sweet tooth: pay attention to how it operates. For example, mine is a greedy little *kitten* that keeps wanting more and more if I give it something. So, as a result, I only have sweets as an evening snack because otherwise I keep craving and giving into the craving all day long. Some lunch places I frequent give a piece of chocolate for dessert, and eating that one piece of chocolate after lunch often spins my day into a sugar-hunting frenzy (or carbs, in general).
    Go for it and enjoy.

Yeh know that feeling but luckily I don’t crave till night

• conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    I allow enough calories to have some kind of sweet almost every day....frozen Reese’s Pieces or mini Jr Mints......3 or 4 really satisfy that craving!....
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,329 Member
    Are you bored at night? That might be a reason why you crave snacks then.

Personally I always reserve some calories, about 150-200 for snacks after dinner each day. I would be grumpy if I had no dessert. Mind you, when I was losing weight I kept my deficit a bit smaller (thus slower weight loss) just to account for this. I don't want to be miserable but enjoy life. If I have one of those moments where I still want to go on a whole pack of liquorice or crisps binge then I just accept it and buy what I crave. It doesn't happen too often due to not restricting a lot. If I do then I might skip dinner instead. I might be a bit hungry later on as it's just less satiating. Or still have dinner and forget about it.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Go for it and enjoy.

Same here. Denying sweets is incredibly difficult for me and once I start I cannot seem to get a grip on it. :(
    The best thing (IMO) you can do is make sure you log every single thing that jumps into your mouth, that taste of peanut butter or lick on a spoon or whatever. It all counts. Seeing those numbers is the one thing that makes me think about what I'm doing. If you grab an extra cookie or piece of chocolate, log it and you'll start thinking about whether the calories were worth it. Then you can either think of lower calorie alternatives, ways you can 'have your cake and eat it too' or decide to go without.
    Good luck to you!!!

And using salt water? Doubt I'm ever going to satisfy my sweet tooth with that. It's nasty. :)
  • netitheyeti
    netitheyeti Posts: 539 Member
    I never cut sweets *entirely* out, even when I was on 1200 a day. I found that the less I ate of it the less I really wanted it over time though? Like, I still enjoy the occasional ice cream or piece of chocolate, but it's not a daily craving. Imo nothing wrong with having something sweet here and there, mind you - I did find that there's some types of food, for me, that I just can't have in the house without ending up eating all of it until it's gone, so those are on my "special treat" shopping list vs something I'd get regularly (curse you, wasabi peanuts, you're so good but noone needs to eat 600kcal of nuts in one sitting, hah)
  • Waller5150
    Waller5150 Posts: 2 Member
    My diet consists of 2 wheat biscuits (weetabix) with semi skilled milk and sugar plus a banana for breakfast. Lunch is a big old salad with ham, cheese and grapes all diced in, occasionally ill switch it for a cheese and steak melt subway (6"). Dinner.... Whatever the missus feeds me. Some nights, I'll smash half a tub of Pringles. I still have 2 sugars in my coffee. I've dropped the fizzy drinks (I love coca Cola) and run/walk 5k a week 4 times. I lose 2 pound a week every week almost without fail. Just my 2 pennies worth and oh... If there is cake, I'll have a polite piece but not my old habit of smashing half of it lol. Managed nearly 17lb with this method
  • clairesbubbe
    clairesbubbe Posts: 18 Member
    The only sweet I keep in my house is 85% dark chocolate. I have one square every night and make it last. it's only 58 calories.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    I don't have a sweet tooth...I have sweet teeth...all of them I'm quite sure.

Dark chocolate/dates/figs/protein ice 'cream'/jello/banana/frozen berries...

My advice, just have what you desire - but portion it out and just tell yourself its enough. Don't 'worry', you can have more of it tomorrow. Treat your treats just as they are meant to be....a TREAT - not a meal lol!!