Help with Plant Based?????

Options
How do? I'm Don and have really been interested in the plant based lifestyle. Any help or advice to get started would be great.

Replies

• dpedersen27
    dpedersen27 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I forgot to mention that I'm 51 with about 100+ pounds to loose.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    What kind of help are you looking for? What is your goal for eating plant based?
  • dpedersen27
    Options
    I'm looking to strengthen my immune system first off. Within the past 2 years I have been in the hospital with blood infections twice.

I want to lose weight of course but most importantly I want to protect my body from stuff like diabetes, high cholesterol, heart disease or stroke.

I'm 390 lbs which is the highest I've ever been and my knees and hips really are taking a toll.
  • MacdaddyMama
    MacdaddyMama Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi! I can’t believe nobody here helped you. I’m in the same boat. Try a Facebook group called plant based and vegan recipe for beginners and another one called vegan social club with your nearest big city name.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    A great place to learn how to create a healthy way of eating is at https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/. Their information is science-based and kept up-to-date. There's no reason why what you learn there couldn't inform a smart plant-based eating plan that leads to good health and a strong immune system.
  • Geneveremfp
    Geneveremfp Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Try and find a good source of b vitamins. I love a bit of marmite (although I think that might be UK only) and mushrooms are great for this. I also think it's really useful to find a slightly junky alternative (I know people might disagree with this). Like I love quorn nuggets and when I've been tempted to pop to kfc and have a big cheat I can chuck a few in the oven and they might not be the healthiest but having that option stops me from doing the worse option.
  • melaniedscott
    melaniedscott Posts: 1,307 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I found Dean Ornish's book Eat More, Weigh Less to be interesting...his recipes are, to my mind a bit complex for every day, but good.

Try looking at vegetarian cookbooks in the library--this way you get to see what you like/don't like w/o spending a lot.

I'm a huge fan of Moosewood cookbooks. They're plant based but do include fish and eggs. They blog a lot of their recipes, too.

One cookbook I picked up at the library called for celery...in EVERY RECIPE. No joke. I like celery but not in everything.

Or there are so many great food blogs on plant based.

Start by figuring out what you like, how you like to cook and how much time you have. If you don't like soup or salad, like my husband, a cook book or blog that focuses on those won't be effective for you in the long term.

You'll find a lot more creativity in plant based with "ethnic" food...thai, indian, ethiopian, vietnamese, korean...so much flavor! Even authentic Italian/Mediterranian have richer flavor profiles. But some people prefer a blander diet. Know what you want.

Decide how much time you have to cook...I have recipes that take half the afternoon in chopping and sauteing, etc...and they're worth it and I like cooking. But if I don't have that kind of time, I'll reach for my 20 minute meatless or 4-ingredient vegetarian recipes...If you don't love cooking, you'll have to figure out what you're willing to do and how often.
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Dr. McDougall has plant based “diet” books.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    The site linked below has evidence-based information, curated by degreed Registered Dietitians, about plant-based eating. There's a good "Tips for New Vegans" link right at the top of the home page.

https://veganhealth.org/

Unfortunately, there are a number of vegan advocacy sites that . . . well, lets just say that they're willing to manipulate the truth to get people to adopt a vegan lifestyle. It's sad, because there's a fine case to be made for it without needing to resort to misinformation, and misinformation can actually turn off sensible people.

It's not essential to be fully plant-based (let alone vegan) to have a healthy way of eating, but many people would benefit from eating more plants, even in context of an omnivorous diet. I'm not sure how aggressive your personal goals are, in terms of being partly or fully plant-based, but even if you're considering just increasing the plant portion of your eating (while still eating some animal products) or making a gradual transition, the site I linked should still give you some useful starting info.

Truth in advertising: I'm not vegan or fully plant-based myself. I've been ovo-lacto vegetarian for 45+ years, from thin to fat to obese and back to thin again. I don't usually encourage people to go fully plant-based (or even vegetarian) unless they have ethical reasons to do so, because fully plant-based/vegan is a slight bit more socially complicated, and makes it just a tiny bit more difficult to get well-rounded nutrition. Those trade-offs are worth it, in an ethical context. For weight loss or health, I think a plant-rich omnivorous way of eating can be equally beneficial, for the majority of people, and maybe just that tiny bit easier.

Definitely your choice to make, though. Best wishes!
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    Options
    I agree, my sis & bil do Whole food plant based, no oil, & when I have been with them, it has seemed to be challenging at times. On a cruise with them last summer, tho, the chef was very accommodating & a lot of their food actually looked better than our regular dishes.
  • 66Pinkie
    66Pinkie Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi! I can’t believe nobody here helped you. I’m in the same boat. Try a Facebook group called plant based and vegan recipe for beginners and another one called vegan social club with your nearest big city name.

Thank you for this suggestion!
  • 66Pinkie
    66Pinkie Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    The site linked below has evidence-based information, curated by degreed Registered Dietitians, about plant-based eating. There's a good "Tips for New Vegans" link right at the top of the home page.

https://veganhealth.org/

Unfortunately, there are a number of vegan advocacy sites that . . . well, lets just say that they're willing to manipulate the truth to get people to adopt a vegan lifestyle. It's sad, because there's a fine case to be made for it without needing to resort to misinformation, and misinformation can actually turn off sensible people.

It's not essential to be fully plant-based (let alone vegan) to have a healthy way of eating, but many people would benefit from eating more plants, even in context of an omnivorous diet. I'm not sure how aggressive your personal goals are, in terms of being partly or fully plant-based, but even if you're considering just increasing the plant portion of your eating (while still eating some animal products) or making a gradual transition, the site I linked should still give you some useful starting info.

Truth in advertising: I'm not vegan or fully plant-based myself. I've been ovo-lacto vegetarian for 45+ years, from thin to fat to obese and back to thin again. I don't usually encourage people to go fully plant-based (or even vegetarian) unless they have ethical reasons to do so, because fully plant-based/vegan is a slight bit more socially complicated, and makes it just a tiny bit more difficult to get well-rounded nutrition. Those trade-offs are worth it, in an ethical context. For weight loss or health, I think a plant-rich omnivorous way of eating can be equally beneficial, for the majority of people, and maybe just that tiny bit easier.

Definitely your choice to make, though. Best wishes!

Thank you for the website link and your insights. My desire and efforts to become primarily a whole food plant based eater has been challenging and I'm just barely started! I greatly appreciate your common sense advice.
    : )
  • C4rb4t4ri4n
    C4rb4t4ri4n Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello, I must say I found the app daily dozen rather useful, it's free and it tells you all the food you need to rest daily to have a healthy plant based diet. More info about plantbased diet and why is good for you you'll find in how not to die, the cookbook from the same doctor however I find waaaay to complicated.
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,281 Member
    Options
    All good advice, good luck with your goal you could add friends too to keep you on track!
  • dpedersen27
    Options
    Dr. McDougall has plant based “diet” books.

He's also got a 10 day program you can go to in California at a resort. It's about $7000.00 a person.
  • dpedersen27
    Options

Thank you. I will look them up.
  • JK_BestLifeEver
    JK_BestLifeEver Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hello dpedersen27! Today is the first time I ever logged in to the "Community". I've been using MyFitnessPal for 3 weeks and I am a flexible-plant-based eater. (Flexible means I will eat an egg or a salmon fillet or tuna occasionally.) To get started I bought a book at Barnes and Noble called " The Plant-Based Diet Meal Plan". It is an easy easy read with alot of nutritional information AND recipes. Also, besides scouring the internet for recipes - I LIVE on You-Tube! The videos there about plant based eating are great. Keep in mind though, you don't have to make yourself nuts creating new recipes and wearing yourself out in the kitchen. There are alot of pre-made things I am utilizing - Costco has a great selection of vegetarian items and even Walmart. Lastly, I bought a WITHINGS scale that connects via WiFi to my fitness pal app. It's great. Good luck to you!

7zscd4xvpc8a.jpg
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    Options
    There is a Facebook group called “Esther’s Nutritional Journey “ that you can ask to join. She has lost over 100# doing Whole Food Plant Based No Oil, following Dr McDougalls Maximum weight loss. Each day she posts what she eats. Very interesting to see. She prefers just the food without a lot of recipes. She was in her 70’s when she lost the weight.