Loose Skin

Options
maisieraef
maisieraef Posts: 15 Member
edited June 2020 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi guys! I’m currently on my weight loss journey. I started in April and I’ve gone from 309 to 285 lbs! I’m 20 years old and I’m 5’8 so nobody believes I actually weighed that much because I carry it evenly. Recently I’ve been worrying about having loose skin. I know there’s surgery but I really don’t want to have to get that done. Losing weight is the main focus but it’s still been on my mind. Since I am young will this not be an issue? What I’ve been doing are going on walks/runs, lower body, upper body and HIIT workouts throughout the week. Any advice?

Replies

• Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Everyone is different and there’s no magic solution for 100% preventing loose skin. The best you can do to prevent it or have less loose skin is to lose weight slowly and strength train to retain muscle mass. Your age is a helpful factor. To be completely honest though, with that much weight loss some loose skin is probably inevitable.
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I agree with the advice given above. In addition I would advise moisturising daily to encourage skin elasticity - perhaps with something designed for pregnancy, since that stretches skin. Also remember that it can take the skin a bit of time to catch up with weight loss. So when you reach your goal, if you're unhappy with how your skin looks I'd advise you to wait for a year while continuing to exercise, to see how the skin settles over time.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,266 Member
    Options
    IMO, most people starting in on weight loss, and especially after losing some pounds as you have (congrats, by the way!), think their loose skin in the long run will be a much bigger deal than it turns out to be in practice for many people.

There are lots of before and after pictures over in the "Success Stories" part of the forum, including some in bathing suits after, so you can judge for yourself.

Skin is an organ. The things that keep any other organ healthy are going to keep skin healthy, too, so more likely to be elastic and shrink. That would be

* avoiding fast loss (because it's a physical stress to lose fast),
    * getting good well-rounded nutrition (macros and micros, especially but not exclusively protein),
    * getting regular exercise (both cardiovascular and strength),
    * managing all-source life stress,
    * hydrating adequately (not crazy much, but enough),
    * avoiding smoking and excessive alcohol,
    * specific to skin, also avoiding tanning.

Be aware that many people find their loose skin looks worse partway to goal weight than it will at goal weight (because it often isn't just loose skin yet, but rather a layer of subcutaneous squishy-fat conspiring with gravity keep skin stretched); and that it looks worse at goal weight than it will after a couple of years in maintenance at goal. (Mine kept shrinking well into year 2 of maintenance, maybe longer.)

I didn't lose as much weight as many do here, only around 50 pounds, but at age 59-60. I don't think I look dramatically worse now than most women my age (now 64) who've always been thin (even in sleeveless shirts or a swimsuit), though some body parts looked like a hound dog's droopy face when I first reached goal. :lol:

For sure, multiple people who met me after I was thin were suprised to learn I was obese until only a few years ago . . . and I don't mean just-being-polite surprised, I mean visibly startled when I showed them photos, after it came up in conversation. I hear the "someone like you who's always been thin . . ." line sometimes, which is often how it comes up.

I'd encourage you not to worry now. You may find that your long-term results are good, and all the current worry will have been unnecessary unpleasantness. Even if you do decide in the long run that surgery is essential for you, there's only so much you can do in the present to minimize the risk. Once you're doing those things, worry is also fruitless. The only other consideration might be to start putting some savings aside, if you're really concerned, as in most places that surgery would be self-pay. If you have the money set aside and don't need it for surgery, you can buy yourself some other nice reward instead.

Best wishes!
  • Jericha1992
    Jericha1992 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the first 25 pounds!

I've gone from 250ish to 140ish, 28, and definitely have enough loose skin that I'll either need to get surgery or learn to live with it. It's not all going to go away. I lost slowly (over a year and a half) and hydrated and moisturized... But it is what it is. I would rather have the body I have now than the one I used to have.

Personally, my skin was kind of loose and flappy even at my highest weight. I think it's because I gained a lot of weight as a child, so my skin stretched out while it was still growing. That's my hypothesis anyway.

So it may also depend on when you gained the weight to start with?

I guess be prepared for loose skin, but remember that if you have it, you are still healthier. And you can stuff it inside clothes lol. And although I'm still insecure while I'm naked, it is REALLY nice to be able to buy clothes in any store I want.
  • thelastnightingale
    thelastnightingale Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I guess be prepared for loose skin, but remember that if you have it, you are still healthier. And you can stuff it inside clothes lol. And although I'm still insecure while I'm naked, it is REALLY nice to be able to buy clothes in any store I want.

You look really pretty and no amount of loose skin will ever change that. Thank you for saying that you prefer the body you have now - I don't think there's anyone who has ever tried to lose a significant amount of weight who hasn't been worried about loose skin and where they're heading.

@maisieraef You do definitely have age on your side. I lost a lot of weight at your age (not as much as you, but still a fair amount) and my skin bounced back quite well. Now that I'm re-losing weight again a decade on, I'm not sure my skin will be as kind to me. But as @Jericha1992 says, whatever happens, you will be healthier and that's worth focusing on.