Please help me recover from TERRIBLE food weekend....

Options
Hi - I just joined this community a few days ago, and I had a really bad weekend. I live in Seattle, went to an annual arts/music festival, ate way too many calories, and now am feeling like i am going to eat like crap all week just because "what is the point..?...i already screwed up really bad over the weekend"....maybe some others have gone through this too..?

Also, for the first time ever, I almost didn't fit in the seat at the arena.....i literally had to push my hips down into the seat.....it was really embarrassing and humiliating.

I'm sure I will be fine, but could use some words of encouragement. I want to use this experience to make this a good, productive, exercise-heavy week - - not a 'eat everything in site because i feel sorry for myself' week!

Replies

• kwaz29
    kwaz29 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Just think, if you let yourself give up now, then you can only get worse. What if you quit now and then next time you can't fit into that arena seat at all? You have to start somewhere. We all make bad choices once in a while, but the point is to keep going. You can do it, just get right back on track and don't get discouraged!
  • cbmcphillips
    cbmcphillips Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    One bad weekend shouldn't kill the upcoming week
    Get back on track, eat right, exersise, drink lots of water
  • WestCoastMom
    WestCoastMom Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I totally indulged this week-end too....and although it was good going down, I feel more motivated than ever to get back on track. You'll be happy with yourself when it's Friday and you've put in some good eating days.....go for it...the hard work will pay off. :)
  • ckdub428
    ckdub428 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of us had horrible weekends. Just remember that the weekend does not define your week, unless you let it. It was 3 days. Not the rest of your life. Turn it around today. Stay in your calories, enjoy that fall weather and walk an extra mile. You can do this!!!!! One bad weekend does not define who you are, I know this because if it did, you wouldn't feel bad about it!
  • gtmama
    gtmama Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    well...I would say to restart a routine...don't try to go even harder then normal on exercise...that could lead you to further dissapointment. Stick to what you can do regularly! Just get back on track...a week of sitting on the couch eating and feeling sorry for yourself may lead to you NOT being able to fit in a stadium seat next time!!! We all have off times....just get back on!!!!!
    Good luck!
  • Imgoingdown
    Imgoingdown Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Don't dwell on it... Just start fresh today.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    The best way to "recover" is to accept the fact that you did it and start fresh today. You're making a lifestyle change, not doing a fad diet. Part of your lifestyle is accepting the fact that you won't perfectly follow your recommendation, or you won't always stay under your calorie goal or whatever. Just accept that and resolve to do better today, and to make the best choices you can, given the options you have.

Also, keep in mind that you also probably did a ton of walking, so you likely burned off a good amount of what you ate and didn't realize it.
  • lauraashley614
    Options
    Just call it a cheat weekend, and remember today is a new day and you can determine how you want. Don't let the past drag you down!
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I had a bad weekend too -- state fair and all -- but one day of crap isn't going to sabotage you forever. Let yourself have fun once in awhile without killing yourself with the guilt trip --- and just get back into it the next day :)
  • Sully16
    Sully16 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I just did the same thing this past weekend as well. My boyfriend's brother and his family were in town and we ate out all weekend pretty much and I didn't track my food until after the fact...bad mistake. I did gain some weight and it's frustrating but I only have myself to blame. I'm getting right back in the saddle again and eating and tracking as I normally do. It's ok to have slip ups like this because it reminds us that we aren't perfect and the weight loss plan isn't going to be smooth. There are going to be bumps along the way and we are going to learn from the bumps each time.
  • Nelly_J
    Options
    I know how you feel I also had a very bad weekend, but now that I'm back in the office I feel like I can get back on track this week with no problem. . This journey will not always go smoothly, but you have to keep going! You can get back on track; take it one day at a time. Best of luck to you! Feel free to add me.
  • shaj316
    shaj316 Posts: 161
    Options
    Just started up again after an initial attempt in April. I failed because I didn't get serious about logging the calories. This time around, I've been religious about it...it also helps that I have the iPhone now and can use the app. There has been 2 days in the last 7 where I would have blown my calorie count out the water if it hadn't been for the ready access to the app. Personally, for me, this would not work without that app.

One other thing. I went to a fantasy football draft/party last Saturday. Because I knew I would eat a bit more, I made sure I hit the gym that morning and did and extra 15 min on the bike. This helped in a big way.

Good luck.
  • StrengthIDidntKnow
    Options
    My weekend started on Thursday and calorie wise, it was bad. But I am using it as an incentive to do better this week. Good luck!!
  • mknied
    Options
    I had a bad food weekend as well. We had a barbecue, and I ate and drank waaaay too much of the wrong things. I had the urge to just give up, but I realized that I'm human and I'm going to have bad food days. I can't let them totally derail my efforts and you shouldn't either.

I'm sorry about your experience at the arena. Something similar happened to me last year. We were on vacation and planned on going horse back riding. When we got to the stables, there was a weight limit posted and they were weighing people before they could ride. I wasn't sure if I was under the limit, so we didn't ride. I use that as an additional form of motivation. Hang in there.
  • hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Don't let Bumbershoot take you down! You can recover, just pick up and keep going. :)
  • dmcgoon
    dmcgoon Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    We all have bad weekends, and everyonce in a while it is good to give in to cravings so you don't end up quiting or overdoing. Today start over. Every day is a new day and a new challenge when you batlle with being overweight and over eating. Yesterday was yesterday but today is a new day you stand up and get back on the wagon and know that you are still focused on losing weight and you wilil still loose weight and you will keep going.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I'm in a challenge group run by a guy, Gary6030. His blog has some good information: http://mfpchallenges.blogspot.com/2011/09/labor-day-blues.html

He says it better than I could.
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Have you ever been watching a movie and the people onscreen are walking into an ambush and you honestly just want to scream at them RUN AWAY! IT'S A TRAP!!!

That is what the thoughts of 'Well I blew it, now it's all over' - what's the point?" are. They are leading you into a trap - a trap of self-doubt and self-sabotage. You need to hear the people screaming at their monitors right now. We're saying "PULL YOURSELF TOGETHER AND GET BACK ON TRACK" It isn't the birthdays and holidays that make us fat, it's all the days in-between.

Instead of eating like crap this week, turn this into a positive and tell yourself you're going to undo the damage from the weekend by eating clean, exercising and treating your body right. Forget about the weekend and focus on today. You can do this!
  • morenita71
    morenita71 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    What's done is done you can't change that but you do have the power to watch what you eat over the next few days. Weekends like that happen and you feel awful - I had a whole week like that last week - a wedding, a carnival and then a three day city break where I certainly wasn't going to try and calorie count. Plus it was my 40th birthday so we went out for cocktails and a great meal out. Again this happens - but this week I 've made an effort to go the gym everyday and planned out all my meals. Once you get in to the swing of things you'll get better at planning and making healthier choices - not always by all means but better and one better choice is better than none! Keep the faith...
    This week - plan all your meals do a shop and timetable some exercise - whatever it is that you like doing and stick to it. A few calories here and there won't make too much of a difference but show yourself you can do it. Don't look back - look ahead! Set yourself some goals to keep you on track. Good luck!
  • TexasMamaTwo
    TexasMamaTwo Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    HI,

I had a bad food weekend too. But I realized what I had done and turned it around on Monday. I can't let one bad weekend ruin the changes I am making. WE are all going to have days when we don't make the best choices but we can turn it around and pick up where we left off with our healthy choices. Eating healthy is important but so is living and enjoying life. During your weight loss journey You will learn how to make better choices while out at events. Congratulate your self on small victories and successes so not everything feels so negative and hopeless. Have a great week!