Replies

• chaos416
    chaos416 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Bump -- to peruse later from time to time as I also am 5'
  • amlaha
    amlaha Posts: 1 Member
    Options

Thank you for saying this! I also have a large frame and as a short person it kind of sucks, but you just have to deal with it. I have very broad shoulders and an hourglass shape..most days I feel like a linebacker because I don't have a very "feminine" body type.

That is me you just described! The joke is that my dad is Dan Marino, since I always say I am built like a football player. I am 5'1" and like 119 right now. Ugh. It is a little big for my personal liking. 105-110 would be more ideal.
  • cindy26ae
    cindy26ae Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    It really depends on bone structure and body shape. For me until I had kids I was 98 lbs, I didn't look bad at that weight but everyone always told me i was so skinny. I have a medium bone structure my thumb and middle finger touch perfectly around my wrist. But now I am 118-120 depending on what scale i step on, and although I am not as toned a I would like, I definitely like my body better at this weight. My weight distributes evenly throughout my body and not just in one particular spot, so the body type definitely makes a huge impact on how you look and feel as well.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    <
    5'0", 107lbs
  • cindy26ae
    cindy26ae Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I forgot to say that I am 5'1 and although no to relevant to some ppl, my bmi is 22%, I would still be okay if it was more like 20%, guess I could let you know when or if I get there...
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1" and can't even think of a time when I was smaller than 115. Junior high maybe?? I was 115ish in high school and looked just fine but I still wore a junior's 7. If I got back there, great, but I can't possibly get any smaller. The ladies of my family are "sturdy" as some have put it. It is not in my destiny to be a super tiny person. My frame is large. My goal now is 120-125.

My bestie is an itty bitty tiny girl. She is also 5'1'" and weighs 105 pounds on a "fat" day; she usually maintains at 100. She wears a 0/XS. Her frame is itsy bitsy teeny weeny. I try not to compare myself because I can never and will never be as tiny as her.

Edit: my goal is actually a size rather than a weight because I love strength training and intend to do a lot of body recomp work so my weight will probably be higher. My goal right now is a 6 pant (just moved into an 8) but when I get to a 6 we will see if I can go further.
  • squishprincess
    squishprincess Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    i'm 5ft (maybe 5foot and a 1/2 inch? can't get my hopes up) and i'm around 102-103, and carry most of my weight on my lower half, so even though i wear a size 1 or 0 and extra smalls i look fine. it really does depend on your bone structure and where you carry your weight. personally i feel i could lose another 5 pounds and still look fine. really wouldn't mind gaining some either and building muscle. it just depends how you wanna look
  • ell_23
    ell_23 Posts: 103
    Options
    There's quite a big range for your height (or anyone's height). People look better at the bottom end of that range and people look better at the top end of that range. Anywhere between 100-130 lbs is probably a good ideal and healthy weight for your height.
  • Mr18wilson
    Mr18wilson Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    my friend is either 4'10 or 4"11. She does cross fit now. I think she last told me she was about 110 or 115. She looks pretty good now, although I think she looked better when she was in college as a cheer leader. She weighed 90 lbs then.

For real? 90 lbs for any adult over 4'9" seems ill looking to me. I'm 4'11 and 115 pounds and already wear a 0/2. If I got down to 90, id look sick
  • nfgchick1979
    nfgchick1979 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    bb1266 wrote: »
    Good conversations!

I'm 5'0", and the heaviest I ever was was about 115 lbs growing up. I have a small frame, so extra weight really doesn't sit well on me, as it all goes to my stomach. i'm aware that being apple shaped has increased risk of heart disease. Currently I'm at 102, but I'm still not satisfied as even with exercising and limiting my calories in a safe way, I still have pudge. My goals is 95.

America has grown used to being a bit fatter, but I live in Asia, and trust me, that shows you what short people who are skinny can really look like. I'm no longer satisfied with my pudge.

Standard BMI is very misleading for short people. According to a reformed calculation, shorties may be a whole point too low.

http://people.maths.ox.ac.uk/trefethen/bmi_calc.html This is the New BMI calculator. It's just a guiding number, but it gave me a better idea of where I can safely set my goals.

I'm interested in finding other people who are short and are working to lose or maintain.

Bump bump!

Okay, so I went to this calculator and it said I should be between 89-125 lbs. 89? No effing way. I'm 40 and currently weigh 129. When I was 18 I weighed about 100 and I was SO small. Both the old and the new calculator said I was overweight. Oh and I'm 5'0".
  • Mr18wilson
    Mr18wilson Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Sorry, 100 pounds is too small for even a 5 foot frame. Thats how much a 13 year old child should weigh at that height. An adult woman should be anywhere between 110-115 lbs at 5'0". Even if you're small framed, 105 would be the lowest I would go. Take it from someone who is well below 5 foot and above 100 pounds. I
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I’m 5’0” and felt and looked best between 120-125. Below that and I stop having periods. I was a size 4 there and wouldn’t want to be any smaller.
  • threewins
    threewins Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    I know that this is a zombie thread but there is no "ideal weight" for any gender's height. There are reasons like muscle proportion and shoulder width but also people have differing preferences. Then there is environment. If you want to see actual bodies there are websites such as my body gallery with photos of people with specified height and weight.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    Who knows what the ideal weight is. You might lose some weight and find your face looks sunken in an unhappy once you get closer to your goal weight. Or, if you happen to have wider bones that they stick out and look strange (both true for me. I prefer a somewhat higher weight). Or that you've not really lost any fat where you really wanted to lose. Bodies are not all the same, thus I would suggest start slowly, see if you like the change, and if not then stop.
  • jamespatten3576
    jamespatten3576 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    27lbs
  • Hanibanani2020
    Hanibanani2020 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Whatever is right and comfortable for each individual based only and solely on the wants and needs of that individual. Every body is unique. There is no ideal or magical number that every five foot female should aspire to be, unless it’s 10/10 for happiness and health. Do that if you can 😊