Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Dark chocolate question...

Lynn1987
Lynn1987 Posts: 54
edited September 19 in Food and Nutrition
How dark does dark chocolate have to be in order for it to be "good for you"??? I bought some Hershey Reserve chocolate squares today and it says they are 70% cacao...is that enough?? THey're very tasty!! :tongue:

Replies

• Lynn1987
    How dark does dark chocolate have to be in order for it to be "good for you"??? I bought some Hershey Reserve chocolate squares today and it says they are 70% cacao...is that enough?? THey're very tasty!! :tongue:
  • sunshine92
    sunshine92 Posts: 228 Member
    i've always heard to make sure it was at least 70%...so your good! dark chocolate is my fav sweet! :smile:
  • I've read that it's 60% and up that's good for you. I :heart: dark chocolate. Oh, but I tried a bar that was 87%...awful.
  • Huyvee999
    Huyvee999 Posts: 66 Member
    :bigsmile: Ok so after reading this I am so excited Dark choc. is really the only chocolate I eat.
    Thanks everyone
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    I bought a bag of Hershey's Special Dark candy the other day. They're the bite size candy bars and they're sugar free. I don't see where it says how much cacao is in them though. Are they good for you? They're only 30 calories per piece.
  • flinchyny
    flinchyny Posts: 106 Member
    I think Herhsey's Special Dark is actually semi-sweet, not dark.
  • Lynn1987
    Yahooo I'm good to go!! :laugh: Yeah Happenstance, I've tried some stuff with a high percentage of cacao, not knowing it was that dark, and ugh!! disgusting!! I would hardly call it chocolate!! haha
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member

So that's not the right kind of dark chocolate?
  • flinchyny
    flinchyny Posts: 106 Member

So that's not the right kind of dark chocolate?

Well, since it's sugar-free, it's low calorie -- which is good for watching one's weight -- but I am pretty sure it's not dark enough to get the health benefits of dark chocolate.
  • Can I ask what are the health benefits of dark chocolate?

I love dark chocolate, but I had always thought it was bad for you - I'm assuming it's still full of fats and sugars??? Unless it's a loCal version??

Sorry if I'm being dim :happy:
  • purrrr
    purrrr Posts: 1,073
    contrary to the popular belief that chocolate is bad for a diet... dark chocolate is actually good for a diet... it reduces the appetite, while keeping you energized! you can actually replace your morning cup of coffee with a piece of dark chocolate!

it also helps with lowering the blood pressure, as well as prevention against heart diseases and reduces the risk of a heart attack

that's what i have read about it... of course it doesn't mean you have to "energize" yourself with 2 huge bars a day - a small piece now and then is just fine!
This discussion has been closed.