UK - What is going to happen with gym access post lockdown??

Options
With the fact that gyms are looking like they will have to open at limited capacity with increased cleaning rota, what is likely to happen?
Queuing to get in? Less opportunities to train? While having to pay full membership?

We should be given an opportunity to cancel our memberships.

Replies

• magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I don't know the specifics of any given gym in the UK, but I've heard of various approaches here in the US for parts that have reopened with restrictions.
    I've seen images of gyms in California where the power racks / equipment is in a protective plastic bubble to isolate users.
    I've heard of people having to register for time slots for gyms to ensure they are running at lowered capacity. Apparently the time slots are fixed to one hour, so if you wanted to work out for more than an hour in a day, you'd need to book multiple non-contiguous slots, possibly at separate branches.
    I've heard that places are turning off half their cardio machines so there is six foot spacing.

The ability to cancel the membership would be a bit dependent on what kind of contract you have with the gym.
  • Judy2CA
    Judy2CA Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    The gym my husband uses requires you to make an appointment online. Your appt is for two hours. You check in when you enter the gym and check out when you go - that’s how they know how many are in the gym. Right now he is going only to swim laps. He likes it because you are assigned a lane - you have it for an hour.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Each gym will have to make the overall rules over distancing fit their individual circumstances - there isn't one solution for all gyms so you need to find out what your gym is doing.

Mine is fairly small, privately run and their solution(s) will be massively different to a huge corporate chain with warehouse sized floor space.

Sounds like you need to talk to your gym, mine has been sending out clear communications about their planning for reopening. Your options to cancel are laid out in your contract but again talking to your gym is the way forward.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Gyms were recently allowed to reopen in my state, with only 50% capacity allowed at any time. Interestingly, my gym said they did not plan to limit access initially since looking at their past numbers, the gym was rarely over 50% capacity. They are requiring reservations specifically for the pools and fitness classes since more people tend to congregate closely in those areas. I am a member of a very large gym right now though, I have previously been a member of a much smaller gym that did seem to fill all the way up: all cardio machines would be taken at one time and such.
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I could tell you what is happening with my gym in the UK, but of course that is probably different to what yours is doing.

Mine has been good at communicating what they know, with caveats. They have been operating outdoor classes with limited numbers for several weeks. They are working on the next phase of opening facilities.
    There are options for memberships.

Have you asked them what the plans are, or if you can cancel if you wish?