Cauliflower as a Pizza Crust

jdh419
jdh419 Posts: 65 Member
Has anyone tried one of the cauliflower pizza crust? I am not hip on the rice but I've never baked or roasted it. Thanks!

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    To make? Sounds like such a hassle. I just roll regular pizza dough really thin. Turkey pepperoni brings the calories down nicely.
  • jdh419
    No it's premade. You just put it in the oven. I am following Keto.
  • harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    jdh419 wrote: »
    No it's premade. You just put it in the oven. I am following Keto.

I've never tried the pizza, but I do like roasted cauliflower. Try it and update if you do.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,012 Member
    It's not a regular crust pleasure-wise**, but it's an OK substrate for pizza. I've tried a couple of different brands, and both were quite neutral in flavor, so not aggressively cauliflower-tasting. The texture is not chewy or crisp like common flour crusts, but more soft (but holds together) - it's basically a cauliflower-egg-cheese giant firm pancake, kind of.

It's also not low calorie at all, at least not the ones I've had. Since you're doing keto, I can see that might be fine for you, if the calories fit.

If it matters in comparing your tastes to mine: I like cauliflower a lot, prefereable roasted in small flowerette chunks, but steamed or raw is fine with me, too. I don't care for cauliflower rice, but mostly because it doesn't taste much like cauliflower (a demerit), and I'm not a big rice fan (it's meh, in my world) so not looking for a subsitute.

Why not try it? How bad could it be? Is there some specific worry you have about it? You can get sandwich thins that are similar, if you'd rather try something smaller first.

**Personally, I'd rather have a nice chewy regular flour crust, deep dish or Detroit type, but obviously that's not going to fit your dietary preferences.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    I made one once ages ago, it was pretty labour intensive and the recipe I used saved no calories and it was floppy. It didn't taste horrible but it was not bread-like at all.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    A restaurant here does a cauliflower crust option which I tried out of curiosity. It was pretty good (it was part of a lower cal pizza option but it's certainly common for cauliflower crusts to be as high cal as other crusts, I think that's true for the store-bought one). I saw one in this little meat and produce market I go to once and thought about getting it out of curiosity, again, but I didn't see it the next time I went.

Making one seems like a pain.
  • Sasa4u
    Sasa4u Posts: 13 Member
    A better tasting alternative if you’re sticking to Keto is the Fat Head Pizza dough recipe.
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    I have been gluten free for years so my memory of regular pizza dough is fading (*sniff*). Flavor wise it depends on the brand, but they are decent. It takes effort to get something that’s not soggy though, which is a huge downside for me. I buy frozen already made pizzas and will bake them in the oven then finish them in a cast iron skillet which helps.
  • jdh419
    Sasa4u wrote: »
    A better tasting alternative if you’re sticking to Keto is the Fat Head Pizza dough recipe.

I am going to check that out! Thanks!
  • jdh419
    I've tried it homemade. It's pretty darn good. Only thing is when you make it, you must really drain the cauliflower very well using a clean cloth or cheesecloth. If not, it will be soggy. It's super easy to make homemade, and it freezes well too.

I got a store bought one and it was tasty. I did freeze the portion that I didn't eat. Going to see how it works. I also doctor it up a bit.
  • jdh419
    I have been gluten free for years so my memory of regular pizza dough is fading (*sniff*). Flavor wise it depends on the brand, but they are decent. It takes effort to get something that’s not soggy though, which is a huge downside for me. I buy frozen already made pizzas and will bake them in the oven then finish them in a cast iron skillet which helps.

I finished mine off by turning up the broil for a few minutes. Worked out ok!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,893 Member
    I had a sample of cauliflower-crust pizza in a supermarket. No idea of the brand. Didn't care for it. If I were keto I would prefer steamed cauliflower with butter, and grilled ribeye steak.