Working out after poor sleep

I’ve had two night of very poor sleep and have a workout session scheduled for this evening. What are general opinions on working out while tired and lacking sleep? This one is mostly cardio. Thanks

Replies

• harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Do you think you might be having poor sleep from working out in the evenings?
  • Hanibanani2020
    Hanibanani2020 Posts: 523 Member
    No I usually workout mid morning. I have poor sleep due to myriad of other reasons.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,324 Member
    Personally I still go for it. Sometimes it makes me feel so much better (endorphins) and other times it feels like a grind, but it’s still good to get the exercise in. Just give yourself a bit of leeway if you find you can’t do as much 👍
  • Hanibanani2020
    I went but the gym was so uncomfortably packed that I left. Ran at the local sports field instead. Even more exhausted now but hopefully that will be conducive to good sleep
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I would say if you feel up for it.. just be mindful not to injure yourself or anything. I personally will still exercise (usually lift) although if it's really bad (less than 4 hrs of broken up sleep) I will do some extra warmup and stretching before my sessions and dial it back if the weight is too much. Oh and an extra preworkout shot of espresso helps. :) I haven't slept well in months so it's either that or not at all.
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 678 Member
    My sleep has been erratic at best for the last bunch of months; last night I got 4.5 hours total. I still get up and workout first thing in the morning, mostly cardio right now but if our gyms ever reopen I will be lifting 3 days a week as well. I always workout fasted; dark roast coffee helps after the workout is complete (or during if I'm lifting).
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    I just suck it up and go.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I just get it done.

After 1-2 nights of bad sleep, I already know I'm going to feel bad. I'm not going to feel *better* if I skip my workout too and it is possible that I'd feel worse. The only time I would skip it is if I was so sleep-deprived that I thought a workout would be dangerous.

• Hanibanani2020
    So turns out it was the start of the flu. I’m also limping for some reason. I’m silly.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    So turns out it was the start of the flu. I’m also limping for some reason. I’m silly.

Oh, no! I hope you feel better soon.
  • Urthepinetomyapple
    Urthepinetomyapple Posts: 18 Member
    I’m running off of 5 hours sleep the past 2 nights but also working 9 hour shifts, couldn’t face any form of exercise the night 🙈 seeing how u all still get it done makes me feel guilty so I should prob follow suit and just get it done 😂
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member

With that new information, definitely take time off from the workouts!!! ;)
  • Hanibanani2020
    I went for a short run today. Doing ok. It was a 24 hr thing it seems but staying away from the gym for a bit.
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    I’m dealing with the same today - Orangetheory tonight at 5:15 and I’m so tired. But I’m going to give it a go.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member
    Identify why you may not be sleeping and address it. As for workout, when I feel that way, I just lower the intensity. Not every workout has to be a ball buster.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,965 Member
    I hope OP, who was tired last July, has already found some kind of solution. Hasn't been here since August 2020, so may not benefit from additional replies?