Exercise and Sustainable Energy Levels

I had gastric bypass years ago and not only can I not lose anymore weight, but while biking long distances my energy level takes a dive and I can’t recover. Taking carbs and protein with me and eating every 5-7 miles, but still take a dive around mile 25. I ride the MS150 every year but since the surgery, I can not sustain my energy level to train like I need to. Very depressing!! I still want to lose 70 lbs. if anyone has gone through the same thing, I would greatly appreciate what you are doing to get through it. By the way, yes I have consulted my Dr and he said to keep the carbs coming and I do but it just is not doing the trick for the amount of energy I am using.

Deb

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited June 2020
    I wouldn't think the protein on your ride is the best choice, it's not really an energy source - IMHO you would be better prioritising carbs to make use of what must be limited rate of calorie uptake due to both your gastric bypass on top of the normal reduced uptake capacity when exercising.

Do you carb load in the days before attepting a long ride?
    Are you eating or drinking your carbs on a ride?
    What kinds of carbs are you fuelling with?

Ride slower in a zone where the proportion of fat/carbs used is more biased towards fat as fuel would be one solution (but a hard one to have to accept!).

ETA - some insight into how you are training may help too.
  • yogagirl1963
    yogagirl1963 Posts: 4 Member
    Thank you for your response!!!!

I have a huge mental wall when it comes to carb loading before a ride....huge!!!! I have always had trouble with losing weight and it soooo goes against the grain of losing weight in my mind but I’m sure I need to do it and break down the mental wall. That one I do know.

I make home made rice cakes from the book “The Planr-Based Cyclist.” I also make peanut butter protein balls. It has both protein and carbs. I alternate the rice cake and peanut butter balls every 5 or so miles. I guess I need to go straight carbs and see if that works. I am ready to try just about anything because I want to stop hitting this dog gone serious drop in energy. It is so dang frustrating.

Again, thanks for your insight!!!

Deb
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Just keep in mind that excess calories make you fat - not carbs.
    Think of those skinny Tour de France riders cramming down thousands of calories of carbs a day....

I really think those protein balls are a poor choice for you while riding, you need to maximise your limited capacity to intake calories and you don't want slow digesting food getting in the way. Could be part of post ride recovery though.
    (I've even refused a free bacon sandwich on a long distance event where I was trying to maximise my pace - perhaps the first and only time in my lifetime I've refused a bacon sandwich! :disappointed: )

Liquid carbs would seem to be a better choice, maybe a glucose/fructose mix in your drink so that you use the different digestive pathways that the two different sugars take (different receptors etc...). It's also easier to intake little and often.

Have you built a solid endurance base with lots of long slow miles/duration?

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Thank you for your response!!!!

I have a huge mental wall when it comes to carb loading before a ride....huge!!!! I have always had trouble with losing weight and it soooo goes against the grain of losing weight in my mind but I’m sure I need to do it and break down the mental wall. That one I do know.

I make home made rice cakes from the book “The Planr-Based Cyclist.” I also make peanut butter protein balls. It has both protein and carbs. I alternate the rice cake and peanut butter balls every 5 or so miles. I guess I need to go straight carbs and see if that works. I am ready to try just about anything because I want to stop hitting this dog gone serious drop in energy. It is so dang frustrating.

Again, thanks for your insight!!!

Deb

Typically what you want to fuel endurance activity is sugar. Carbohydrates are good, but the easier it is for your body to break it down into energy the better (because your body is busy doing lots of other stuff). I don't know if these are compatible with gastric bypass, but gel packs (like Gu) or drinks (like Tailwind) are my first choice when I'm running. I notice a dramatic difference in my energy level when I'm fueling appropriately during a run, so I hope you find something that works for you.
  • yogagirl1963
    yogagirl1963 Posts: 4 Member
    Good morning!

I have never heard of Tailwind. I will look into finding that. Thanks for the suggestion and insight!

I will be doing another long ride Saturday so I am going to do my best to try out these suggestions!

Thank you! I truly appreciate your perspectives and knowledge!

Deb