70 pounds down... No appetite anymore.

Female, 5'3". Petite build. Started at 265 and I'm down to 190 in 5 months. Completely changed my lifestyle. I'm active and always out now, eating better. The weight is just sliding off because I was so big. But I have no appetite anymore.

Right now I'm eating twice a day. Lunch and dinner. I can't eat in the morning. I eat so lean (chicken, pork, lean meats) that I'm trying to throw some higher calorie food in there just to make sure I hit my calorie goal for the day. I just have no interest in eating and I have to force myself.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    How much weight are you losing per week? How many calories do you estimate you're getting per day?

What kinds of foods are you eating besides lean meats?
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Appetite can be affected by a number of things. In my experience, there's habit (before I retired, I had my meals at set times due to work schedule and was always hungry at those times. I'm on a totally different schedule now and so is my appetite - twice daily meals work fine, and the first one is usually 3 or so hours after I get up for the day), heat/humidity (my appetite goes down predictably as heat and humidity rises), stress (if it's bad, my appetite goes), degree of fatigue (more fatigue = more appetite), amount of aerobic exercise (more of that = more appetite), the actual content of what I eat (more protein is satiating, stuff with a lot of natural fiber is more satiating than stuff without, etc), and mood (loss of appetite is very common with various types of depression).

If you feel well otherwise, and you are managing to get proper nutrition, I wouldn't sweat it. If not, then a consult with a primary care provider might be useful.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Female, 5'3". Petite build. Started at 265 and I'm down to 190 in 5 months. Completely changed my lifestyle. I'm active and always out now, eating better. The weight is just sliding off because I was so big. But I have no appetite anymore.

Right now I'm eating twice a day. Lunch and dinner. I can't eat in the morning. I eat so lean (chicken, pork, lean meats) that I'm trying to throw some higher calorie food in there just to make sure I hit my calorie goal for the day. I just have no interest in eating and I have to force myself.

open up your diary if you are counting, I have a theory. Ok, not my theory, but an experts possibly....
  • pippywhippypipps
    pippywhippypipps Posts: 7 Member
    How much weight are you losing per week? How many calories do you estimate you're getting per day?

Right now it's about 3.5 lbs a week. I went from pretty much being in front of my computer 24/7 to maybe 2-3 hours a day. Otherwise I'm out and about, chasing after the new puppy. He is keeping me so busy!

So I'm a pretty picky eater. I've always cut all the fat off my meat because I hate eating it. I usually stick with chicken (white meat, breast only), turkey and pork with the occasional beef. I've been trying to jazz up my boring meals by adding doing stuff like pizza chicken breasts... My lunch is usually a bit of leftovers from the night before, a yogurt, maybe a Popsicle if it's hot. Dinner is anything from Shepherd's Pie (turkey) to burgers (beef) to spaghetti... I eat high calorie foods, I just get full so fast and lose interest. Even pizza. Used to be able to polish off a Large... I ordered the other day, ate 2 medium pieces and I was good for the night (and I had only had one of those healthy choice steamers and yogurt for lunch that day).
  • pippywhippypipps
    pippywhippypipps Posts: 7 Member
    Maxxitt wrote: »
    Appetite can be affected by a number of things. In my experience, there's habit (before I retired, I had my meals at set times due to work schedule and was always hungry at those times. I'm on a totally different schedule now and so is my appetite - twice daily meals work fine, and the first one is usually 3 or so hours after I get up for the day), heat/humidity (my appetite goes down predictably as heat and humidity rises), stress (if it's bad, my appetite goes), degree of fatigue (more fatigue = more appetite), amount of aerobic exercise (more of that = more appetite), the actual content of what I eat (more protein is satiating, stuff with a lot of natural fiber is more satiating than stuff without, etc), and mood (loss of appetite is very common with various types of depression).

If you feel well otherwise, and you are managing to get proper nutrition, I wouldn't sweat it. If not, then a consult with a primary care provider might be useful.

It has been really hot and I've been under a LOT of stress. More than ever before. New puppy, stress at work, stress at home. That is probably what it is. It's just hard to relax when your bosses won't give you anytime off lol.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member

Right now it's about 3.5 lbs a week. I went from pretty much being in front of my computer 24/7 to maybe 2-3 hours a day. Otherwise I'm out and about, chasing after the new puppy. He is keeping me so busy!

So I'm a pretty picky eater. I've always cut all the fat off my meat because I hate eating it. I usually stick with chicken (white meat, breast only), turkey and pork with the occasional beef. I've been trying to jazz up my boring meals by adding doing stuff like pizza chicken breasts... My lunch is usually a bit of leftovers from the night before, a yogurt, maybe a Popsicle if it's hot. Dinner is anything from Shepherd's Pie (turkey) to burgers (beef) to spaghetti... I eat high calorie foods, I just get full so fast and lose interest. Even pizza. Used to be able to polish off a Large... I ordered the other day, ate 2 medium pieces and I was good for the night (and I had only had one of those healthy choice steamers and yogurt for lunch that day).

CRASH!<---- that was my theory going out the window....
  • 1BlueAurora
    1BlueAurora Posts: 439 Member
    Sorry about the stress you're under! I always eat less when it's hot outside or hot inside the house. If you're not losing any energy and you are able to enjoy your day, I wouldn't worry about it too much. You've lost about 14 pounds per month to get where you are, though. That's pretty darn fast. If you're okay with the idea of losing more slowly, maybe swap out the Popsicle once in awhile and have a milkshake. It's soothing, cooling, and while completely against everything you've learned so far, it sounds like a treat that fits within your calorie goals. It's up to you, but I think you can take a little break without worry.