Keto and exercise

I started keto almost 2 weeks ago..I had my first couple of gym sessions this week mostly strength training. I really struggled to cope. I have been working out for long and have a decent fitness level. Yes I had the corona break but the fatigue I felt was at another level. Not sure if this is normal. How are you coping with keto and work outs?

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    I started keto almost 2 weeks ago..I had my first couple of gym sessions this week mostly strength training. I really struggled to cope. I have been working out for long and have a decent fitness level. Yes I had the corona break but the fatigue I felt was at another level. Not sure if this is normal. How are you coping with keto and work outs?

What you are experiencing is pretty typical and has been indicated by some research. What some do is to upcycle carbs prior to workouts for performance and then return to keto or low carb on off days.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    When I was doing keto with a partner a while back I found that the only way I could manage my energy levels was to break my meals down into smaller meals and eat more often.

It was a bit more annoying, but I would "run out of gas" if I didn't do it that way. Nothing magical, just dispersing my calories over a larger time period to hopefully lead to a more uniform energy source. Otherwise, I'd run out of gas and be ravenous all the time.

For me, it became about managing my energy intake to be more appropriate for sustained energy output.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 38,933 Member
    I am Keto .. and I work out ......... I do the Tdee method which includes exercise ..... I went to a keto tdee calculator ...so instead of eating 1700 what MFP gave me +adding exercise ... I now eat 2246 calories and put 1 calorie burned... Wishing you the very best :)
  • medhakhanna471
    medhakhanna471 Posts: 46 Member
    DaddieCat wrote: »
    When I was doing keto with a partner a while back I found that the only way I could manage my energy levels was to break my meals down into smaller meals and eat more often.

It was a bit more annoying, but I would "run out of gas" if I didn't do it that way. Nothing magical, just dispersing my calories over a larger time period to hopefully lead to a more uniform energy source. Otherwise, I'd run out of gas and be ravenous all the time.

For me, it became about managing my energy intake to be more appropriate for sustained energy output.

I love this idea. I am doing keto and intermittent fasting. Instead of 2 big meals I will try and break it down and see if it works 😊
  • medhakhanna471
    medhakhanna471 Posts: 46 Member
    I am Keto .. and I work out ......... I do the Tdee method which includes exercise ..... I went to a keto tdee calculator ...so instead of eating 1700 what MFP gave me +adding exercise ... I now eat 2246 calories and put 1 calorie burned... Wishing you the very best :)

That's interesting. Are you still managing to lose weight? I am doing keto plus IF and trying to stay within my calorie allowance which is probably why I am finding myself running out of energy.