Asparagus storage

Options
So I bought 3lbs of asparagus last week (Thur) and left it out on my counter in fresh water. (I store each bundle in a small flower jar with water). The tips look fine, they don’t smell... and I had zero space in my fridge at the time and then forgot to put them back in.

are they bad? I can’t find anything to say that they are bad but that they’re supposed to be refrigerated. My logic is... our store sells them in the middle of the store without refrigeration.

Replies

• missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    When I purchase fresh asparagus, I always store it the same way you do, standing up in a container with a couple inches of water, unrefrigerated. I change the water daily, rinsing the stalks under running water. I usually use it within a few days of purchase.
  • fairestthings
    fairestthings Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Oh thank God! Thanks so much for your guys help!
  • KNoceros
    KNoceros Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    When I purchase fresh asparagus, I always store it the same way you do, standing up in a container with a couple inches of water, unrefrigerated. I change the water daily, rinsing the stalks under running water. I usually use it within a few days of purchase.

I’ve manage to get a week - 10 days out of it this way, but it has been fresh cut (from our garden) the day it went in the jar. Bought may already be a few days old...