New here

Super excited to start this - any suggestions - I work 3rd shift - I eat breakfast around 6pm and dinner around 6am- how would you log this since day change at midnight? I have issues with my step counter also but that usually works out on my work day to reach goal

Replies

• ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    It won't matter how you log it, either change the day at midnight or by your sleep schedule. Just be consistant with it and it will work out the same
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    I don't quite work 3rd shift, but I find it advantageous to consider 7:00 PM my own personal midnight for MFP. You can change the Time Zone Setting to whatever works best for you.

I find this helpful because Fitbit sees how active I am at 2:00 AM and awards me large numbers of "activity" calories. But then, after I go to bed (7:00PM) they subtract a significant number since I'm not nearly as active while I'm sleeping. THAT doesn't work for me.

What I did: Local Time is US Central Time (GMT-6:00). I reasoned that if I'm getting up 5 hours earlier than the Average Joe, I needed my daily accounting tool to reflect that, and set my Time Zone for GMT-1:00. Now I'm asleep when the page rolls over at "midnight" and my day can begin with a fresh slate when I wake up. The steps and activity all seem to accrue on appropriate days, and I only remember that I've done something unorthodox when I'm still awake and trying to log something after 7:00, which puts me on the next day's page.

Of course, I'm usually still sleeping, or at least not very active around midnight actual local time, so I don't know how it would work if local midnight corresponds to your personal noon. I can't tell Fitbit that midnight is actually 7:00PM without doing serious math to figure out when to set my alarm (unless I decide to wear a second watch, and stop using the alarm feature on the Fitbit...) So, of course, I'd be interested to hear how it works out for you, as an experiment.