Low Carb/High Protein ideas/Low Fat

sbradychamberlain
sbradychamberlain Posts: 7 Member
Does anybody have some Low Carb/High protein recipes that they use? Eating jerky and hard boiled eggs can get old when you are looking for a lot of protein and little else. And lunch meat tends to have a lot of sodium, which isn't good for anyone anyway. I know, I am asking for a lot! LOL

Replies

• nicolejo143
    nicolejo143 Posts: 214 Member
    You could cook any lean meat or a protein powder?

But why? Why would you only want to eat only lean proteins? You would burn out pretty quickly I would think. Low carb + High protein + Low fat don't usually go together. Fats are not bad for you. High fat + Low carb + Moderate protein would be a better option. Protein only is not sustainable, even carnivore diets are high in fat, not just lean meats with no fat.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Is there a particular medical reason you're looking to do low carbohydrate AND low fat? These eating styles aren't typically combined, so if you have a specific restriction you may want to ask your doctor for a referral to an RD to help you figure out how to make this work.
  • sbradychamberlain
    sbradychamberlain Posts: 7 Member

But why? Why would you only want to eat only lean proteins? You would burn out pretty quickly I would think. Low carb + High protein + Low fat don't usually go together. Fats are not bad for you. High fat + Low carb + Moderate protein would be a better option. Protein only is not sustainable, even carnivore diets are high in fat, not just lean meats with no fat.

My boyfriend is trying to eat Keto, hence the High Protein, low carb, and I am trying to eat a low fat diet, since fat has double the calories of Protein and Carbs. I was just trying to find things that would cover all the bases. No medical reason, just looking....
  • nicolejo143
    nicolejo143 Posts: 214 Member

My boyfriend is trying to eat Keto, hence the High Protein, low carb, and I am trying to eat a low fat diet, since fat has double the calories of Protein and Carbs. I was just trying to find things that would cover all the bases. No medical reason, just looking....

I see... Keto is low carb + high fat (not really "high protein"). I'm in the reverse situation where I'm doing keto and my boyfriend is not. You can still make the core part of the meal work for both of you, and then make minor accommodations for each of you. For example you could cook meatballs and then make pasta for yourself to serve it on, and zoodles for the bf. He could have extra cheese + less sauce. You could have less meatballs to reduce fat. Try to include a protein + a veggie in your core meal, then you can add your carbs and he can add more fats.

If your concern is mostly calories though, a lot of keto recipes replace carbs with veggies which actually cuts a ton lot of calories. So you may even want to try some recipes together with your bf, you might find some low carb recipes that you like and can both enjoy together.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member

Food is essentially made of protein, fat and carbs. Are you looking for an all protein diet?

A diet that is both low carb and low fat is not recommended because it's going to be tough getting enough calories and nutrients. Very low calorie diets mean faster weight loss....but more muscle loss too. High protein doesn't cover the muscle loss when you are consistently under eating.

Extreme diets often have a high burn out factor. Add to that, you likely haven't learned how to eat to manage your weight loss.
  • doc9371
    doc9371 Posts: 7 Member
    I don't post here much. But, I just posted a new creation I made tonight that might fit your bill. It's a post called 'Ron's Chicken Cordon Kiev' in the Recipe thread. If you try it, let me know. Personally, wife and I will put it in our regular meal rotation. We just ate it with some roasted potato chunks/brussel sprouts with no sodium seasoning. We're big roasted brussel sprout fans. LOL
  • dppicklc
    dppicklc Posts: 2 Member
    I cooked hamburger with a small amount of taco seasoning. Than made large salad added meat with salsa and a teaspoon of sour cream. No chips. It is 95 here and not cooking is nice. A taco salad is refreshing on a hot day.
  • KevinWH87
    KevinWH87 Posts: 74 Member
    edited July 2020
    Reheating leftovers with liquid egg whites pairs nicely with certain foods - I just did that with my veggie fried rice (delicious).

Also consider substituting your pasta with a bean-based pasta (edamame, black bean, lentil, etc).
  • BirdLady720
    BirdLady720 Posts: 7 Member
    I am having the exact same problem. I am on the cusp of being a full blown diabetic and was recently advised by my doctor to do low carb and sugar, moderate fat and high protein. I am monitoring my macros and I find it very difficult to achieve a calorie goal of 1300 and keep my carbs and sugar where they should be. I am always under my calorie goal. I do use protein shakes to help add the protein. I am going to cluck soon with all the chicken I eat.
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 978 Member
    Soya yoghurt with berries and seeds for breakfast along with a hard boiled egg. Or a cooked breakfast with bacon and/or sausages, poached eggs, mushrooms and tomatoes. Sometimes I'll have a slice of toast but not often.

Big salads with 100g of cooked chicken or a can of tuna/salmon/mackerel is fairly high protein lunch with minimal carbs. I don't usually add any dressings.

Big stirfries with chicken / beef / pork / prawns stirred in or a baked salmon fillet on top for dinner. I usually have such a large pile of veg that I don't need much rice or noodles, if any.

Roasted joints of meat with a large pile of veg and only one or two pieces of potato.

If I want more 'rice' on my plate, for a chilli for instance, I'll do half rice and half cauliflower rice.
    With pasta, I do half pasta and half courgetti. Using lower fat mince, bolognese is low carb and low fat.
    If I'm having potatoes, I find that one smallish potato, when sliced into 8 wedges, looks so much more on my plate than a pathetically small blob of mash.

I have been diagnosed as diabetic and these switches help me keep my carbs under 130g a day (often under 100) whilst eating 1340 cals in maintenance. I calculated what 0.8g of protein per lb of body weigh worked out to - and I never have any problem reaching it.
  • AshHeartsJesus
    AshHeartsJesus Posts: 460 Member
    Low carb and Low fat are just not friends. Have you looked at what macros mfp gives you for a day?
  • Clive_1963
    Clive_1963 Posts: 52 Member

I just finished my 4th week of a 4 step low carb/fat high protein diet and so far I lost 9.1kg so nearly at my weight goal. Went onto step 3 which normally lasts 2 weeks then step 4 another 2 weeks but I am dropping weight so will probably be at step 4 next Monday.

I am given a various amount of packages (powders mixed with water)/snack bars to eat or drink which are low carb/fat high protein.
    I am also aloud to eat unlimited veg and salads from a list.

Basically I have 5 meals a day Breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner.

Step 1 its all packs/bars from the diet with unlimited veg/salad out of the list.
    Step 2 I am aloud 100g meet/fish from the list for dinner so no diet packs or bars.
    Step 3 My breakfast changes 125g low fat yogurt, 100g fruit and 2 whole grain crackers with low fat cheese/meat or spread. (The crackers are to introduce a small portion of carbs to fill me)
    Step 4 Normal Breakfast, lunch and dinner with a pack/bar for the 2 snacks.

It's working well for my weight loss and I workout twice a week at the sport school and usually hike at the weekends. I have had a couple of dips after sport but was told I can eat an extra pack/bar if need be but usually home made tomato soup works a treat.

Some of the packs and bars I get are excellent like chocolate drink, toffee caramel cereal bars.
    Just finished lunch which consisted of a package of chicken curry soup which I added 200ml boiling water and I threw some Chinese stir fry veg in it.

t6g0o3ym79x4.jpg
  • jmberube1976
    jmberube1976 Posts: 1 Member
    Clive_1963 What diet is this? I'm interested i have to be on low carb low fat high protein due to medical issues this looks like something that would work for me.
  • Clive_1963
    Clive_1963 Posts: 52 Member
    Clive_1963 What diet is this? I'm interested i have to be on low carb low fat high protein due to medical issues this looks like something that would work for me.

Over here in the Netherlands its called Slimdiet.
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 978 Member
    @Clive_1963 Are you learning anything, diet-wise, from this? What will you eat once you reach your goal weight?
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,553 Member
    Take any asian meal where rice features as the starch and replace with cauliflower rice. That's raw cauliflower blitzed in the food processor to a rice like texture. I like it raw, but you can warm it up in the microwave. If that is too hardcore, try a half and half mixture of cooked regular rice and cauliflower rice.
  • cleopold4
    cleopold4 Posts: 16 Member
    Fish.. a fillet..seafood mix.
    Low 95% lean meat. I buy topside
    Chicken breast.

Or r u vegetarian perhaps?

If your not Keto, If you cook potatoes (say boil) then cool in the fridge overnight and reheat the next day..the bad carb drops significantly (I think negligible). (not protein , but we have eliminated the bad carbs)

Eat 6 Almonds for the day

Oats..

Lentils & beans , mix in with your mushroom & veg spinach curry.. with mashed potatoes on the side (instead of rice)

I discovered ..2 slices of toast, tomato, lettuce, 120g grilled tipside, egg...AND ketchup. I can have steak sandwiches using MFP..WooooHoooo