Amount of food consumed

Hi all
Now I have my daily food guides/goals and sticking to them to loose weight I am consuming a lot more food than before ok it is healthy my concern is if I'm eating more how will i loose weight obviously I understand better nutritional values just can't get around the amount I need to reach the goals . Help please explain and in hope this makes sence

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Do you mean you're consuming a higher volume of food or you're consuming more calories than you were before?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,907 Member
    Give us your stats.

Height, weight, calories

Are you logging food here? Are you using a food scale? (Just questions I know people will ask.)

How long have you been at the current calorie goal and has your weight changed at all in that time?
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,034 Member
    What do you mean by more food: are you eating more food as in food weight/volume, or more calories than before?
  • jenniferohara73
    jenniferohara73 Posts: 2 Member
    Can anyone tell me whether or not you are supposed to eat the extra calories earned through exercise? If you don't, will this speed up weight loss?
  • Zitzinzho
    Zitzinzho Posts: 3 Member
    Can anyone tell me whether or not you are supposed to eat the extra calories earned through exercise? If you don't, will this speed up weight loss?
    I’m not going to eat my exercise calories. I’d rather set my own goal and have the same calories everyday. Iv set mine for 1600 regardless if I do exercise or not.

• GeneralSTpower
    GeneralSTpower Posts: 25 Member
    Yeah, its just two different expressions of a way to get to the same place.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    Hi all
    Now I have my daily food guides/goals and sticking to them to loose weight I am consuming a lot more food than before ok it is healthy my concern is if I'm eating more how will i loose weight obviously I understand better nutritional values just can't get around the amount I need to reach the goals . Help please explain and in hope this makes sence

So...you're probably eating higher volume, lower calorie foods...losing weight isn't about food volume, it's about calories consumed vs what your body needs to maintain the status quo.
  • threewins
    threewins Posts: 1,455 Member
    Zitzinzho wrote: »
    I’m not going to eat my exercise calories. I’d rather set my own goal and have the same calories everyday. Iv set mine for 1600 regardless if I do exercise or not.

This is controversial here, no idea why. That's what I do too. 6,000 kj of food which is fixed.
  • Zitzinzho
    Zitzinzho Posts: 3 Member

If your goal of 1,600 is taking your exercise into account, this is just another form of "eating your exercise calories." Some people prefer to set a TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) that takes exercise into account and is averaged out so they're eating the same amount each day, but it's just another path to getting to the same place.
    That’s not necessarily true as before exercise my calorie goal was 1200 calories. I burn more than 400 calories through exercise on a daily basis. Therefore I’m still not eating all my exercise calories back.
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 978 Member

If your goal of 1,600 is taking your exercise into account, this is just another form of "eating your exercise calories." Some people prefer to set a TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) that takes exercise into account and is averaged out so they're eating the same amount each day, but it's just another path to getting to the same place.
    That’s not necessarily true as before exercise my calorie goal was 1200 calories. I burn more than 400 calories through exercise on a daily basis. Therefore I’m still not eating all my exercise calories back.

But you're eating 400 of them, not zero. The concern is with people who don't eat any of their exercise calories as that is adding to their deficit and, in many cases, is an unhealthy way of eating that can lead to serious problems over a longer period of time.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

That's why I specified IF your goal is taking your exercise into account. It sounds like you are adding some of them, as you're eating more than the 1,200 you'd be eating if you were sedentary. You said above "I'm not going to eat my exercise calories," but the truth is that you are eating some of them. You're just adding a flat amount of them each day, which is a legitimate way to do it (you're using TDEE, as opposed to MFP's NEAT method). Some people prefer to have the same amount each day. The important thing is that you factor in your exercise somehow.