What do I eat to stop my blood sugar from dropping?

he1717
he1717 Posts: 2 Member
edited July 2020 in Food and Nutrition
I don’t know what to do. This is what I ate for breakfast this morning

a8kbxffprnwt.jpg

First I ate the oatmeal made with the almond milk and the strawberries. I waited half an hour before I worked out. I did Zumba for an hour and drank plenty of water. After words I had the egg whites. Got ready for work and everything but an hour later I started to feel exhausted. This kept you for two an a half hours before I decided to eat something.

This is what I ate

1hlrf8w50mux.jpeg

Almost instantly the tiredness was gone. I don’t get why this happens today when I have been eating and working out like this for awhile.

Can anyone help me figure out what I’m doing wrong?

Replies

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,989 Member
    How do you know your blood sugar dropped? Are you diabetic and tested yourself?

If it just happened one day and every other day you've been fine, then maybe you were just tired today. Maybe it had nothing to do with your food. I don't think you need to change a routine that has been working for you just because you had some tiredness one time.

If it starts happening every day, then you can look into a number of possibilities, including food, sleep, exercise, general health, etc. But, for one day, I'd let this slide.
  • he1717
    he1717 Posts: 2 Member
    Throughout my life this has happened on and off, but the doctors have never found it serve enough to test me despite the fact my mother suffers from hypoglycemia. They always told me if it gets more consistent they would, but like I said it has never been an everyday thing for me.

Yesterday this was my protein intake:

6uu5gx6er4av.jpg

and my overall calorie intake for the day was

5k2byiggoy0r.jpg
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,314 Member
    How much weight do you need to lose to be in your Healthy BMI range?
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,542 Member
    I suffer from hypoglycaemia (not linked to diabetes but still an endocrine issue). Firstly, I eat my calories and if I need to lose weight I cut calories really slowly - so eat those 700 calories. Secondly it looks like your protein and fat are high enough but your carbs are low. You may need to adjust your carb intake; look for lower GL foods and / or eat protein with your carbs ie a bowl of fruit will make me crash a while later, so I load Greek yoghurt on it. Thirdly, I eat every 3 hrs so have regular snacks and small meals, and I always eat 1.5-2hrs before a lifting session.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    2 obvious things: 700 calories left on the table(large calorie deficit) and low carbs. Fix these 2 issues and see if you feel better.
  • chantelbrooks24
    chantelbrooks24 Posts: 5 Member
    Maybe try sticking with protein only in the mornings and see if that helps. Have you tried skipping breakfast all together? I have found that does wonders for me with keeping my blood sugar stable till lunch.
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Maybe try sticking with protein only in the mornings and see if that helps. Have you tried skipping breakfast all together? I have found that does wonders for me with keeping my blood sugar stable till lunch.
    Coming from someone with hypoglycemia that is the worst thing I could do. I remember, even as a child (my blood sugar issues started young, thankfully caught as a teen and managed well enough) I would get a glass of milk when I first woke up and would almost spill it I was shaking so bad at times.

To the original poster, definitely up the calories, and for me a banana and peanut butter, or PB toast will give me the boost I need if I drop suddenly. I also carry cliff mini bars in my bag for just in case. You can also buy your own glucose monitor relatively inexpensive at any pharmacy - Walmart has one that has refill strips for <$10 I believe? It’s like printers - the actual mechanical item can be cheap, but they get you on ink refills. Same with glucose monitors. Some have strips that avg out to around $1 each!!
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    he1717 wrote: »
    I don’t know what to do. This is what I ate for breakfast this morning

a8kbxffprnwt.jpg

First I ate the oatmeal made with the almond milk and the strawberries. I waited half an hour before I worked out. I did Zumba for an hour and drank plenty of water. After words I had the egg whites. Got ready for work and everything but an hour later I started to feel exhausted. This kept you for two an a half hours before I decided to eat something.

This is what I ate

1hlrf8w50mux.jpeg

Almost instantly the tiredness was gone. I don’t get why this happens today when I have been eating and working out like this for awhile.

Can anyone help me figure out what I’m doing wrong?

The title of this thread says your blood sugar dropped, but you didn't state any numbers. Have you been diagnosed as diabetic? Type 1 or Type 2? Are you on insulin or other medication? Some diabetics have to eat smaller meals more often instead of a few larger meals, in order to get their numbers under control.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,839 Member
    I always thought I had hypoglycaemia because it felt exactly like how people describe it. It just was never caught. Which is odd. Until I figured out one day that this nasty feeling is not a lack of sugar (yeah, getting the munchies and eating lots of sweet stuff never helped) but salt. It always came sometime in the late morning, especially when I could not have a second breakfast due to being stuck in a meeting or lecture, and vanished at dinner. Being central/northern European, my breakfast were slices of bread with for example a little bit of cheese, and yogurt, fruits. All very low in salt. And especially very low in salt when I lived in the UK, as salt is TEH EVIL there. Never had another bout of it as I just in case have a little pot with salt on my desk.