Steel cut oats

Options
I have heard of Steel Cut Oats.....Can someone please tell me what they are. Old Fashion Oats?

Replies

• NaomiLyn15
    NaomiLyn15 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    They are not processed. Regular quick oats are flat, and the normal oat that we are used to. Steel cut oats are what the oat looks like before they are processed. They are little chunks of oat (very hard). They take longer to cook, taste a million times better, and are much better for you!.
  • AddA2UDE
    Options
    Yep! Just ate another bowl of 'em a little bit ago. Excellent energy source in the mornings!
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    They will be clearly marked "Steel Cut Oats" in the store. You can make a big pot on Sunday and just heat up throughout the week.
  • BrianJLamb
    BrianJLamb Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Steel cuts look almost like little brown pencil leads. You should be able to find them in the grocery store, right next to regular oatmeal, depending on where you shop. I like to have quick, old fashioned, and steel cut in the house. They are good for different things.
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Steel cut and old fashioned rolled oats are definitely different. The steel cut oats are not flattened as the rolled oats are. I do like them, but they are different. Much chewier. My 17 yo daughter prefers them for her oatmeal, but I am usually cooking quickly to get back to my work-at-home job and don't want to take 40 minutes to cook my oatmeal. So we buy both.
  • wifeygettingfit
    Options
    They are very good for you-- way better that the other 'processed' oats. I plan ahead when I'm going to have them and just soak them over night, makes for faster cooking in the a.m. getting ready for work. enjoy!
  • brit49
    brit49 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    It the best to have, I don't eat it no more since I was kid in England we called it porridge
  • dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    They will be clearly marked "Steel Cut Oats" in the store. You can make a big pot on Sunday and just heat up throughout the week.

This is EXACTLY what I do! Love them ...
  • Cbecons
    Cbecons Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    They are! they are the whole oat and have a different flavor and texture than the quaker oats I was used to. They do take time to cook (about 30 minutes) so they can be time consuming, my trick is to make a large batch. I place sandwich bags in the mugs and portion out the oats into the cups. I freeze them and then remove the bag and the cups and place them in a large zip loc bag. It takes about 2 minutes to microwave these and I have a good and quick meal. I through in dried and fresh fruits, honey or maple syrup and it fills me for hours.
    Hope this helps,
    A
  • mea9
    mea9 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    They can also be labled scotch oats or Irish oats although irish are a little finer and not my fav. Try to get organic if you can. Brown them a little in the pot (should look browned and smell nutty) before adding water to soak overnight. Amazing. in the morning, before cooking, grate or chop an apple into it. My mom likes dried cranberries or rasins as well. You can add nuts after cooking. You can top with the usual stuff or applebutter, maple syrupe... So good.

Try buckweat the same way or rye flakes...

If calories aren't an issue a little dollop of butter is lovely (either before you brown or just before you serve). You can also drop an egg in for extra protein.
  • philOHIO
    philOHIO Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    the label will say "steel cut oats". Regular oats are fine, too.
  • RobynC79
    RobynC79 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Steel-cot oats are whole oat grains that have been sliced into pieces, rather than being steamed and rolled flat like most oatmeal oats. Different roll thicknesses give the old-fashioned (thick) up to instant (very thin) cooking varieties.

Steel-cut are slightly less processed than the rolled variety (no steaming involved), but they are still machined.

IMO, In the grand scheme of processed foods it's about as different as buying pre-sliced celery in water vs. the whole stalk - not very much. If you drink soda, eat white bread, frozen dinners or takeout food like pizza, quibbling over more or less processed oatmeals is really more trouble than its worth.

You can avoid the long cooking time by soaking them overnight in boiling water, after that cooking them the next morning takes only five minutes or so.
  • lucisept61
    Options
    Fascinating topic! I'm so glad you asked because I learned a lot just reading through the answers! :happy:
  • saintspoon
    saintspoon Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    LOL thanks for asking this! I'm always reading Kourtney Kardashian say "I start off every morning out with steel cut oats for breakfast, I always have it for breakfast" No clue what she was talking about but saw a huge box at costco & had visions of a skinny me in a Kardashian bikini, in the end though i did not buy them as i read the cooking instructions & did not want to cook oats every morning.

But thanks for the "make a batch on sunday" advice :)
  • blondski
    blondski Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks....I have tried to find these in the grocery store but only saw the old fashioned oats....I will look harder next time1
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I have the most amazing recipe for banana bread made w/ steel cut oats. Can't lie, they are delicious! I love the taste.
  • mea9
    mea9 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    They may be in with the grains or organic food. You should ask because they are there they may be just in place you wouldn't think to look.
  • blondski
    blondski Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Okay! Thanks, I will ask next time I am there! I love oatmeal....and can't wait to try the steel cut oats!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I have heard of Steel Cut Oats.....Can someone please tell me what they are. Old Fashion Oats?

Old fashioned oats are whole oats that have been rolled flat. Steel cut oats are whole oats that have been cut into small chunks by steel blades (about the size of polenta). Nutriionally they are about the same. The steel cut oats have a chewier texture and take longer to cook. They are also better to mix with other non-sticky grains such as brown rice because they don't get as soft and mushy as rolled oats.

Instant oatmeal is steel cut oats that have been rolled until thin so they cook quickly.
  • tangal88
    Options
    Not all areas carry them locally. In my location they are not in ANY grocery stores. A local vitamin store does carry them, but very pricey. I buy mine online.

http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/steelcutoatscan.aspx

Amazon.com also carries some, as do many other online sources

Their are many online recipes, and you can even do them over nite in a crockpot.

http://annkroeker.com/2008/03/25/overnight-crockpot-steel-cut-oatmeal/

http://www.food.com/recipe/steel-cut-oatmeal-for-the-crock-pot-101101

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/overnight-oatmeal-recipe/index.html

I cook mine in advance, and refrigerate them for quick reheating. I like the freeze and reheat tip above though! Thanks for that.