How to stop amount of weight loss from decreasing?

As you know, the amount of weight loss we have eventually slows down. Are there any helpful tips you guys have up your sleeves that can maximize the amount of weight lost even after like, four or five months of constant dieting? And please add any tips that you know fastens the metabolism permanently too if you have any?

Replies

• nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    The rate of loss slows down because a smaller body uses less energy. So in the long run, if you keep calories in the same and calories out goes down: your rate of loss slows.

SO your options include increasing your calories out (moving more, increasing intensity of your workouts) or decreasing your calories in (dropping from 1500 to 1300 for example).

You could exercise longer or harder or some combination of the two in order to increase calories out. You can look for active hobbies. You can look for ways to increase activity in your daily life. Such as using the stairs instead of the elevator or getting off the bus one stop early and walking the rest of the way.
    As you know, the amount of weight loss we have eventually slows down. Are there any helpful tips you guys have up your sleeves that can maximize the amount of weight lost even after like, four or five months of constant dieting? And please add any tips that you know fastens the metabolism permanently too if you have any?

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,935 Member
    What they said ^^

I would add though - good nutrition makes it easier. By that I mean if you get all your macros and micro-nutrition needs met, it's easier to withstand a deficit at the end.

It was hard for me to even maintain a 250 calorie per day deficit at the end. Really hard. The last 15 pounds took me nine months because I was seriously struggling to stay in that deficit. I can't imagine trying to eat less.

• GeneralSTpower
    GeneralSTpower Posts: 25 Member
    Theres actually no way to maintain the rate of weight loss, you had at the start. Its simple, at first your body had larger calorie requirements ,so it was easy to hit that deficit, but as you lose weight this requirement will get lower, and it will become hard to hit a deficit. So yeah, the latter will definitely take more time than the first. But do focus on good nutrition, that is what will prove most vital. And yes, add in more movements.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Also, the "first week whoosh" can make it look like you've slowed down a whole lot. That first week loss of an inordinate amount of pounds is usually due to water loss as most diets have us switch from a higher sodium consumption to a lower one. Replace, for example, a cup of mac'n'cheese with a cup of green beans and not only have you eliminated a few hundred calories but you've also eliminated several hundred mg of sodium from your diet.
  • meharmahshahid
    meharmahshahid Posts: 107 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    From your other thread, I think you told us that you were losing 2 pounds a week or more, at 5'5" and from something like 147 to 139 pounds, since June 1, with a goal of 117-120, so maybe another 20-ish pounds to lose (which would put you at the bottom of the BMI range for our height)?

I would not be trying to keep going at that weight loss rate, frankly.

Staying healthy and strong and energetic, while getting good nutrition, makes the metabolism as fast as its going to be, realistically. Maybe focus on that?

thank you so much! I'm trying to lose as much weight in this quarantine as my schedule otherwise is very packed, but maybe i should slow down a bit.
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 978 Member
    Also consider what and how much you're going to be eating after this quarantine period ends. Take the time to learn what's sustainable for the longer term otherwise, if you just go back to your old habits, you'll put the weight straight back on.

It doesn't work for everyone, but I'm eating the same stuff as I was before, but with smaller portions of the calorie-dense things like potatoes, rice and pasta. I still have them though. It means I haven't had to radically rethink my shopping or meals, I just cook smaller quantities or cook larger quantities and bag it in to smaller portions to put in the freezer.