Completed my FIRST 5K!

Options
I completed my first 5K yesterday. My time was 34.01 .... I don't know how "good" my time was but I was so grateful to have completed it. It's a mental thing for me. In the past I've tricked myself into believing I wouldn't be able to do it.. and now I know I can!!! If you've done a 5K what was your first time?

:)

Replies

• duqtape
    duqtape Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Heck yeah!

You know how good your time is? You set a PR! That's how good it was. Now you have a goal to strive for or go big and run a longer distance.

Good job!
  • thamre
    thamre Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    My first 5k I finished it in 37-38 minutes 1 year ago. The last 5k I ran at the beginning of the summer was 29.54!
  • ASPhantom
    ASPhantom Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    My first 5k I finished it in 37-38 minutes 1 year ago. The last 5k I ran at the beginning of the summer was 29.54!
    That's awesome!

I just finished my first one yesterday. It took me 38:40. I am in week 6 of C25K.

Have another one on Thanksgiving Day!
    Keep up the good work!
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    Nice job!!!

2+ years ago at 230 lbs I finished my first 5k in 49 mins. :(
    A few weeks ago I set a 5k race PR at 31:05. After losing 70 lbs this makes me happy! One day I will get under 30 for a 5k race. :)
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Your time? your time was great and now you have a PR which gives you a new goal!

Be careful.....races are addictive :wink: :laugh:
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    That is a great time for a first 5K! Heck, finishing a 5K is a great thing...most people never even make it that far! Congrats and kudos and God bless on bigger and better things!
  • linnea213
    linnea213 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    My first 5k was the Hot chocolate 5k race in Chicago over 30k people. I originally planned on walking but started running and besides for some areas that were so crowded you couldn't get thru I finished in 48 minutes. I was shocked but I ran the whole thing.

I just completed a 5k on 8/27 in 33:50...HUGE PR for me! Goal: to complete in under 30 minutes
  • Mama2memphis
    Mama2memphis Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I'm running my first 5km October 3rd! I'm nervous! Do you have any tips or advice for first time runners?
  • vmcbain
    vmcbain Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!

My first 5k was 34:44 back in April of 2003.
  • vmcbain
    vmcbain Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm running my first 5km October 3rd! I'm nervous! Do you have any tips or advice for first time runners?

1. Get there early, and warm up
    2. Wear nothing new...must be all tried out before the race.
    3. Have fun, no matter what, it will be a PR!
  • TORNATO1
    TORNATO1 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    That's a fantastic time. I am doing my first ever 5k at the end of the month. My goal is 29:59 :-)
  • vlc1979
    vlc1979 Posts: 227
    Options
    That is a great time!!!
  • HOSED49
    HOSED49 Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    congrats on your time and completing your first 5k!
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Awesome Job!!!
  • MeganSWoods
    MeganSWoods Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I ran my first 5K yesterday and I was shooting to break the 40 min mark because my training runs had been about 42 min. I knew I was really pushing myself during the race, but I didn't know the course so I didn't know if the pace was good or not. I finally saw the finish line and ran as hard as I could to the end-- imagine my surprise and pride when I crossed the finish line at 35:40! I don't care if it is a "good" time for most people because it was an AMAZING time for me!
  • amhamlin
    amhamlin Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thank you EVERYONE!!! I'm doing my second 5K the Sunday in Seattle. It's the Iron Girl 5K. I'm super excited/nervous/happy. :) My long term goal is to do the Rock & Roll half marathon in Portland in May 2012!!! Last year I couldn't run from my house to my car!!!
  • robmaguire1
    Options
    GREAT JOB! It's a great feeling to finish your first race. I did my first 5K on August 20th (34:09). Just did second one last Saturday (33:17). And they are VERY ADDICTIVE! I have signed up for 5 more between now and the end of October!!!
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Fabulous!!! that is actually a great time for your first 5K. I ran one this past Friday night, ended up wheezing so bad I had to walk for a while. Stilled ended in 40 minutes. Gotta get my exercise asthma under control!
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    AWESOME!!! I have my first 5k on October 2nd. I think your time is awesome!
  • mike20603
    mike20603 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Awesome job!

Nothing like that feeling :)

And, as far as your time goes...

1st one...just finish

2nd one...go faster

All the rest...kick your own *kitten* (and a few others along the way)!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!