Ankle injury will NOT stop me; upper body regimen?

Options
anj32694
anj32694 Posts: 35 Member
I stopped before I started a few weeks ago with an ankle injury. Damn walking boot! Definitely not my favorite summer accessory. BUT. I have decided to focus on nutrition and upper body. I would love to hear about your upper body work out routines, especially adaptable ones for beginners. 💪🏻

Replies

• Pool_Boy
    Pool_Boy Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Do you know how to use a chair or other unit to do tricep push ups?
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,387 Member
    Options
    when someone I know has a weight-bearing issue or injury, I always suggest "start with browsing Youtube chair-exercise variants". Lots of different "presenter styles", session duration, focus and intensity variants. Some actually get quite cardio-intense.

Find what suits/interests you that doesn't aggravate what's wrong, and use as a stop-gap while you heal.

But DO allow yourself to heal, AND DO do everything your dr / physiotherapist advises for proper rest-then-strengthen recovery from your injury. Not doing professionally-assigned physio can be as bad for you in the long run as over-doing too much before you are ready for it and re-injuring.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    What do you have available to use?

I had the gym and circuit machines years ago with triple ankle break. Shoot, upper and many lower ones could still be used, leg curls and extensions didn't involve the ankle at all.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Lots of options for strength training. Bands and dumbells. But for cardio, I struggled too, as I can't jump like I used to.

I often mimic using a punching bag, raise arms to eye level and go at it. Roll your fists quickly.

Arm circles in different positions: out at side, forward and back with your elbow up.. do them quickly with little rest. Or jumping jacks eithout the jump.

Also try some chair dancing - swing those arms around over your head.

Better than being idle.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    BMcC9 wrote: »
    when someone I know has a weight-bearing issue or injury, I always suggest "start with browsing Youtube chair-exercise variants". Lots of different "presenter styles", session duration, focus and intensity variants. Some actually get quite cardio-intense.

Find what suits/interests you that doesn't aggravate what's wrong, and use as a stop-gap while you heal.

But DO allow yourself to heal, AND DO do everything your dr / physiotherapist advises for proper rest-then-strengthen recovery from your injury. Not doing professionally-assigned physio can be as bad for you in the long run as over-doing too much before you are ready for it and re-injuring.

But this is more important. I've seen more friends and relatives who didn't follow Dr advice. And instead listened to someone without medical knowledge.

Good luck. Remember weight loss happens in the kitchen. Exercise helps us, but it's 90% food.. imho
  • anj32694
    Options

Great advice! I had PT today, and if went well.
  • anj32694
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    What do you have available to use?

I had the gym and circuit machines years ago with triple ankle break. Shoot, upper and many lower ones could still be used, leg curls and extensions didn't involve the ankle at all.

I found a routine on Pinterest that has those incorporated. Thank you!
  • anj32694
    Options
    bebeisfit wrote: »
    Lots of options for strength training. Bands and dumbells. But for cardio, I struggled too, as I can't jump like I used to.

I often mimic using a punching bag, raise arms to eye level and go at it. Roll your fists quickly.

Arm circles in different positions: out at side, forward and back with your elbow up.. do them quickly with little rest. Or jumping jacks eithout the jump.

Also try some chair dancing - swing those arms around over your head.

Better than being idle.

I love the boxing idea!! Perfect. Thank you!
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    anj32694 wrote: »

Great advice! I had PT today, and if went well.

You may consider asking your PT for suggestions as well. When I’ve had lower body injuries (ankle & Knee X2), my PT has suggested modifications to strength training routines and cardio/etc that was safe (and best) to do.

I’ve gotten through all of those injuries relatively unscathed and even made progress on some things-which would not have been the case had I listened to a lot of the random suggestions people made.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,509 Member
    Options
    I feel for you .... I fractured my foot last April in 2019 and again this year (I was in a boot for a long time ... I had surgery March of this year where there Dr put a screw in my foot that I have to live with the rest of my life ... I have been using my total gym and swimming ...I hope you find something you can do :)