side dishes

Options
c_ray0191
c_ray0191 Posts: 11 Member
I need new foods! I’m over salads, rice, & sweet potatoes. What kind of sides do you eat with your meals?

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Right now, asparagus. So yum!
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Less of a side and more of a base, I regularly have a large plate of stir-fried veg with either some diced chicken breast mixed in or a baked salmon fillet on top. I don't have rice or noodles with my stir-fry as there's so much veg.

Spicy cauliflower florets and red onion is a current favourite.

Otherwise, I have whatever I feel like. I'm having quite a few meals with potato wedges - two small potatoes cut into 8 segments each gives a lot of chips for not a lot of potato weight. I still eat rice, potatoes and pasta, but just have less than I used to pile onto my plate. If I want volume, I'll do courgetti with a small amount of tagliatelle or spaghetti for my bolognese to sit on or I'll have riced cauliflower to mix with my normal rice when I have a curry.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    c_ray0191 wrote: »
    I need new foods! I’m over salads, rice, & sweet potatoes. What kind of sides do you eat with your meals?

Onion rings, roasted potatoes or other vegetables, microwave vegetables like corn or broccoli
  • c_ray0191
    c_ray0191 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,701 Member
    Options
    Corn. Straight from the tin, warmed up from frozen or on the cob. I like to brush fresh corn on the cob with a little melted butter and roast in an air fryer or oven for 10-15 minutes at 200C

Tinned beans when I am pressed for time. Sautee some onions and tip a can of drained white beans in to warm through.

For sturdy fresh veg such as green beans, sugar snaps, broccoli or cauliflower i like to blanch a minute or two in the microwave. Easier than steaming. Do it in the packet they are sold in but cut off a corner or prick some holes into the cling film so steam can escape. Rinse after microwaving.
  • nikkigetsthinner
    nikkigetsthinner Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Shirataki noodle soup. Yummy, soupy, warm, and fulfilling ;)
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Many of us grew up thinking of supper as a meat and sides, more specifically a meat, a veg, and a starch. It would probably be better for us if we thought of our main meal as vegetables and grains with a side of meat. In fact, the "healthy eating plate" in its many forms shows half the plate filled with vegetables and fruit, a quarter or more with grains, and only a quarter or less with meat (lean protein).

Have I made this change in my brain? No. In fact, in this seniors community where we order our meals two weeks in advance during the pandemic and food is delivered to our doors, the order form only lists the meats and sides are a crap shoot, usually a veg and a starch -- some salads also come as sides but 1 out of three days it's a pasta or potato salad so basically another starch.

So, this certainly gives me something to ponder. How do I make vegetables the center of my meal and replace "starches" with whole grains? It's a mind set change that should affect my eating and therefore my long term health.
  • KevinWH87
    KevinWH87 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    * Soup made in advance
    * Roasted or grilled vegetables
    * Re-fried beans
    * Mexican bean salad
  • swirlybee
    swirlybee Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Many of us grew up thinking of supper as a meat and sides, more specifically a meat, a veg, and a starch. It would probably be better for us if we thought of our main meal as vegetables and grains with a side of meat. In fact, the "healthy eating plate" in its many forms shows half the plate filled with vegetables and fruit, a quarter or more with grains, and only a quarter or less with meat (lean protein).
    The bolded part is good advice. I've slowly started switching our meals to focus more on the veggies rather than the grains or meat. Veggies for me are more centered around leafy greens. And lately for me, my meals have been more of a singular dish, rather than an entree and sides. Whether it's a rice bowl, pasta dish, sandwich, or salad, it's been contained as one main.