One day of eating over calorie limit

I know many people say that it wont matter, but will one day of eating 500 calories over calorie limit effect weight loss?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Well, yeah . . . technically it counts to eat 500 calories more than you intended. Your body will process those calories. The extend to which it depends really depends on how large your deficit is. If your deficit is 500, that's one day of "progress."

It really isn't going to make a meaningful difference in the long run. You can't get fat or thin in a single day, it's more about the choices that you make day-in, day-out.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,839 Member
    As the poster above said, it does "matter" in that you ate 500 calories more than you intended to eat. Since it takes approximately 3500 calories to make up a pound, your 500 calories will slow your weight loss by 1/7th of a pound. Some folks try to "undereat" for a day or two to recoup those 500 calories. This can be problematic if it becomes a habit -- you will always be adding and subtracting. For many of us, a day like that is something to ponder upon to figure out how to avoid it in the future.

Some folks decide since they screwed up once they have totally failed and quit. Those people stay fat. Instead, forgive yourself and move on.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    I know many people say that it wont matter, but will one day of eating 500 calories over calorie limit effect weight loss?

In the grand scheme of things...the big picture...not really. I mean, it might just a bit for that particular week...like maybe you lose .75 Lbs instead of 1 Lb or something...but in the big picture, it's completely immaterial.
  • meharmahshahid
    meharmahshahid Posts: 107 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    If you've been losing a pound a week, you'd expect to reach your goal weight about one day later.

Since you've reporting on other threads that you've been losing at 2 pounds a week (maybe slightly more), and doing so at a weight already within the normal BMI zone (147-139 in a month at 5'5"), then:

1. You'd reach ultimate goal weight around 12 hours later than if you hadn't eat the 500 extra calories, and
    2. You should be eating more in general, for best odds of good strength/energy/health anyway, so eating 500 calories over your current calorie limit would probably be a good plan, maybe even every day.

Honestly, thank you so much once again. You are genuinely so caring <3
  • unstableunicorn
    unstableunicorn Posts: 216 Member

I ate about 3,000 cals yesterday at family bbq. Scale was up a lb this morning. Exercise last night, and bm & good dietary choices today put me exactly where I would expect to be on a typical day. An extra 500 will only slow things down if it’s happening frequently.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,847 Member
    I ate approximately 1200 calories over maintenance yesterday. I really wanted to have a snack and thought it was liquorice. After eating the bag I realized it was crisps I wanted. So waterweight and poop weight is up today. Does it matter? Nope, not in the grand scheme of things.
  • Hanibanani2020
    Hanibanani2020 Posts: 523 Member
    I am easily 500 over today but I don’t care. Really bad stress/anxiety day so I’m allowing myself release of pressure in one area which is eating. I expect the scales to go up tomorrow but I’m planning on a huge activity day so it’ll all be grand and short term. One day won’t hamper you much in the long run