Is Fitbit overestimating my exercise calories?

So this is my first ever Fitbit, previously I was just using the Pacer app. I know Pacer was probably underestimating because sometimes I'd walk without my phone with me. But these Fitbit exercise calories are WAY more than what I was seeing before. Does it also take into account my weight maybe? Like I'm 259lbs so I'm burning more than if I was 160lbs? Sorry if this is a dumb question. This is all new for me.

Replies

• harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    How many calories is it giving for what type of exercise?
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    It should take your weight into account (provided you entered your correct weight obviously) but there’s also a pretty decent chance it’s over estimating your calories. It really is just an estimate and that means it’s the wrong number for many people.
  • creesama
    creesama Posts: 125 Member
    Fitbit estimates your all day burn, based on your age, weight, etc. And your movement. It isn't just "exercise" calories.

I understand that, but the "exercise" calories on MFP is saying 618 when I've only done 4480 steps today and no deliberate exercise. I'm 5'6 259lbs and 30 years old. It just seemed like a lot for no deliberate exercise being done. This is a fairly typical day as far as movement goes. Idunno, I'm just used to seeing 200s in the "exercise" calories over the last couple weeks
  • harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    creesama wrote: »
    Fitbit estimates your all day burn, based on your age, weight, etc. And your movement. It isn't just "exercise" calories.

I understand that, but the "exercise" calories on MFP is saying 618 when I've only done 4480 steps today and no deliberate exercise. I'm 5'6 259lbs and 30 years old. It just seemed like a lot for no deliberate exercise being done. This is a fairly typical day as far as movement goes. Idunno, I'm just used to seeing 200s in the "exercise" calories over the last couple weeks

I agree it sounds like its overestimating. 618 calories for under 5,000 steps sounds like a lot.
  • creesama
    harper16 wrote: »

I agree it sounds like its overestimating. 618 calories for under 5,000 steps sounds like a lot.

Ok, thanks. Hopefully it'll level out as I wear it more? I don't eat back calories for the most part anyway right now, I'm just trying to find the spot where I lose weight but maintain supply for breastfeeding. But in the future that info would be useful. I was unsure how crazy it would be after exercising too.
  • creesama

Ok, thanks. Hopefully it'll level out as I wear it more? I don't eat back calories for the most part anyway right now, I'm just trying to find the spot where I lose weight but maintain supply for breastfeeding. But in the future that info would be useful. I was unsure how crazy it would be after exercising too.
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Did the Fitbit set up ask about breastfeeding? I wonder if it includes additional calories for that? (My breastfeeding years ended long before I started using Fitbit.)
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    So this is my first ever Fitbit, previously I was just using the Pacer app. I know Pacer was probably underestimating because sometimes I'd walk without my phone with me. But these Fitbit exercise calories are WAY more than what I was seeing before. Does it also take into account my weight maybe? Like I'm 259lbs so I'm burning more than if I was 160lbs? Sorry if this is a dumb question. This is all new for me.

You setup your calorie expenditure within MFP, so active lightly active etc. I wouldn't eat back the calories from any tracker as the site is already supposed to set your calories based on your activity level selected.
  • creesama
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Whoa, hold up! With the breastfeeding in the picture, I'd encourage an even more conservative approach than I would for an equally young (to me ;) ) woman in different circumstances. Until you get your 4-6 weeks worth of weight results, I'd strongly encourage you to eat back a big chunk of any exercise calories, even if worried they may be a little overstated.

On top of the breastfeeding, if you're quite recently post-partum, your body is healing, and your hormone rebalancing could lead to misleading gain/loss results (from water weight fluctuations) even over the 4-6 weeks.

If you eat a little too much to hit your weight loss goals, the worst that happens is slowed weight loss (you're unlikely to wipe out your whole calorie deficit and fail to lose fat at all, let alone gain weight - even if water retention weirdness obscures that fat loss for a while). If you eat too little, it's possible for your recovery or your milk supply to suffer. I'm not trying to be harsh or scary when I say this: Sincerely, I say it out of care and concern.

I've not tried to lose weight in your circumstances, but have seen other level-headed, experienced women of MFP who, while nursing, recommend eating at approximately your maintenance calories (the level that would be maintenance if not nursing), and let the breast-feeding create the calorie deficit for weight loss. That's at least an option to consider.

Best wishes!

I'm 5 months PP, so I'm pretty much healed, but yes that would have been a concern early on. I'm on week 3 of weight loss so I definitely need more time to figure out my balance, it just was an alarming difference in "exercise " calories to eat back from using Pacer to using Fitbit. I have been staying in the 1700-1800 calorie range (recommended for maintaining supply) so more than the projected 1400 but still a deficit. But when breastfeeding is done, I didn't want to be eating back too much if Fitbit was overestimating
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,031 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Whoa, hold up! With the breastfeeding in the picture, I'd encourage an even more conservative approach than I would for an equally young (to me ;) ) woman in different circumstances. Until you get your 4-6 weeks worth of weight results, I'd strongly encourage you to eat back a big chunk of any exercise calories, even if worried they may be a little overstated.

On top of the breastfeeding, if you're quite recently post-partum, your body is healing, and your hormone rebalancing could lead to misleading gain/loss results (from water weight fluctuations) even over the 4-6 weeks.

If you eat a little too much to hit your weight loss goals, the worst that happens is slowed weight loss (you're unlikely to wipe out your whole calorie deficit and fail to lose fat at all, let alone gain weight - even if water retention weirdness obscures that fat loss for a while). If you eat too little, it's possible for your recovery or your milk supply to suffer. I'm not trying to be harsh or scary when I say this: Sincerely, I say it out of care and concern.

I've not tried to lose weight in your circumstances, but have seen other level-headed, experienced women of MFP who, while nursing, recommend eating at approximately your maintenance calories (the level that would be maintenance if not nursing), and let the breast-feeding create the calorie deficit for weight loss. That's at least an option to consider.

Best wishes!

I'm 5 months PP, so I'm pretty much healed, but yes that would have been a concern early on. I'm on week 3 of weight loss so I definitely need more time to figure out my balance, it just was an alarming difference in "exercise " calories to eat back from using Pacer to using Fitbit. I have been staying in the 1700-1800 calorie range (recommended for maintaining supply) so more than the projected 1400 but still a deficit. But when breastfeeding is done, I didn't want to be eating back too much if Fitbit was overestimating

Good show!

Keep in mind, though, that any non-personalized calorie recommendation is typically gauged to "average" body size, activity level, etc., and may assume less-than-optimally-accurate calorie tracking on the part of the recommendee. (I'm not sure if the 1700-1800 is personalized or not, but you probably know.)

Glad to hear you're keeping your eyes on staying strong and healthy: We see sadly many women arrive here who are bent to lose weight fast, and nearly any cost, and that's not necessarily a great plan, for either health or sustainability.

Best wishes!