Goal weight range?

Do you have a range or a concrete number you try to stick to? I’m 10-15 pounds from my goal weight, so I’d just like to learn from y’all to know what to expect. I’m 5’1” and currently 130 lbs.

Replies

• brittneyalley
    brittneyalley Posts: 274 Member
    I mean as in 5 pound range, 10 pound range, 2 pound range, etc. How do you keep yourself on track? Do you set your goal as the upper, mid, or low number in the range?
  • Hanibanani2020
    Hanibanani2020 Posts: 523 Member
    I’d be happy with 10-12kg loss ideally
  • harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    edited July 2020
    Once I get to my goal weight range. My plan is I'd like to not weigh less than 130 or more than 140. That for me is the mid point for a healthy BMI.

My goal currently is to get to 135.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited July 2020
    Do you mean for maintaining? Right now I have been maintaining since February around 135lbs. I try to stay between 130-140lbs. If my goals change then I don't mind going out of that range.

Oh in terms of picking a goal weight, I usually stay around the same range my whole life, between 125-140lbs so it all depends on my body composition and how much muscle I have.
  • brittneyalley
    brittlb07 wrote: »
    I am 31 years old and 5’4’’. Although I’ve been as low as 110 around age 22, post babies, I know that I feel best around 118-120. Despite a period of depression in 2018 when I got up to 146, I have flirted with 130 at times. Once I get to 130 I panic a bit and recalibrate, if you will.

To be honest, I need to track my calories at all times, even in maintenance. Without fail, as soon as I get to 120, I seem to slowly creep up to 130 after about a year.

Not really sure of your question, or if I’m answering it, but my goal weight is 120. If I stay at about 125 around the holidays (or 5 pounds over) I don’t worry too much, but at 130 (or 10 pounds over) I worry and do a major paradigm shift!

Thank you! That does help. Sorry the way I worded it was confusing. My original goal was 120, but I think that’ll have to be my top range. I’m not sure if I’ll look much different than I do now so it’s hard for me to try to “pick” a Goal weight range.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    My range over the course of the year is roughly 7lbs (half a stone).
    In winter nearer the top end, in summer nearer the bottom end.

I weigh myself daily to monitor my weight trend and make small adjustments to my calorie balance if required but also have an upper "red line" that triggers more serious intervention. At maintenance keeping an eye on my weight trend is the main thing to keep me on track but staying on MFP also helps keep my focus.

I do track my exercise as that has a big bearing on my very variable calorie budget. I don't track my food but do eat mindfully according to my budget and goals.
  • meharmahshahid
    meharmahshahid Posts: 107 Member
    My goal weight loss right now is 10 kg
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    I’m 5”2, my low end is 118. High is 125. Bc we are short, a few pounds can make a big difference. With shutdown & wine consumption on the rise, I’ve gone up back up to 120. Not much difference for me from 118 to 120. But above 120-122, I start to see it in my lower abdomen.
  • StargazerB
    StargazerB Posts: 425 Member
    I try to have a 5 pound range that allows for normal weight fluctuations.
  • ChickenKillerPuppy
    ChickenKillerPuppy Posts: 297 Member
    I am in maintenance and it’s about a 4-5 pound range. I am 48 years old, 5’4”, and my range is 118-123, but I try to really keep it btwn 119-122. My goal range was 125-130 and that has always been my thinnest when I’ve hit goal in the past but during Covid I started to drift downwards bc no restaurants so now I’ve been keeping it in this range.

You need a range bc that’s just how life works - it’s not natural to weigh the same every day. I tend to consume more calories on the weekend (1950-2500) and fewer during the week (1700-2000) and I’ll be up a little on Monday and Tuesday and then go down after a few days in a deficit. You learn to understand how your body will react to what you eat. But the range makes me feel successful and to allow for more indulgent days and less indulgent days.
  • ChickenKillerPuppy
    ChickenKillerPuppy Posts: 297 Member
    Sorry - one more thing. I do get a little concerned if I am staying in the higher end of my range for several days, but not if I just hit a high number after an indulgent day. I still track everything and I weigh myself every day and record my weight on Happy Scale.
  • Alisonzina
    Alisonzina Posts: 3 Member
    So for woman the calculation is 100lbs at 5 feet even then add 5lbs for every inch and the range is give or take 10% either way. So if you are 5’1” your healthy weight would be 105 give or take 10% so 94.5-115.5 (I’m a nutritionist this is the clinical way it’s calculated) anywhere in this range would be considered healthy it depends on your body comp muscle mass etc where you feel most comfortable. 🙂
  • brittneyalley
    Alisonzina wrote: »
    So for woman the calculation is 100lbs at 5 feet even then add 5lbs for every inch and the range is give or take 10% either way. So if you are 5’1” your healthy weight would be 105 give or take 10% so 94.5-115.5 (I’m a nutritionist this is the clinical way it’s calculated) anywhere in this range would be considered healthy it depends on your body comp muscle mass etc where you feel most comfortable. 🙂

Yeah I’m kind of thinking my goal 115-120 won’t be low enough. I feel like I have a decent amount of fat left to shed. It sucks being short.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,493 Member
    I'm 5'3" and my goal range is 112-118, but I like to maintain a lean physique. I still look good and healthy up to about 125, but I lose definition in my abs.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,668 Member
    edited July 2020
    When I hit my goal and started maintaining I discovered that I burn more calories than is usual for a mostly sedentary woman of my age. I continued to lose weight as I dialed in the calories I needed to maintain. I ended up 10 lbs under my goal. Once at my high school weight, I decided to see if that was maintainable. Since I usually run about 35-40 miles a week, so burn a lot of extra calories, I was able to stay within 5 lbs. of my new weight for the past 6 years. I eat about 300 calories more than the number that MFP gave me for maintenance. When we travel and I'm eating more and exercising less, my weight may go up but I can always lose it pretty quickly once I'm home and back to normal food and exercise.
  • lucidchroma
    lucidchroma Posts: 57 Member
    edited July 2020
    I am 5'2'', had a goal ranging from 100-105 lbs. I used to live in Miami. Beach and bar workouts were my go to. It is easier to pull yourself up a bar when you are less heavier. Now I live in Pokhara, Nepal. Its hilly, I drink tons, and at present trying to lose the foreigner gains of 5 lbs. by working in a farm on weekend. I am 109-110 now. Also, pull ups are harder now.
  • Geneveremfp
    Geneveremfp Posts: 504 Member
    I have a goal weight number which is the number at which I'll switch from losing to maintaining. When I'm at goal I'll have a range though.