Mini Challenge: starting July 1st --> drop 5 pounds by July 30th!

etolv
etolv Posts: 48 Member
Hi all, happy summer! I'm planning to challenge myself to lose 5 pounds by the end of July. I plan to check into this thread weekly (or daily?) with my progress for this month. Anyone interested in losing at least 1 pound over this next month can join in! It will be like an accountability thread. Feel free to chat about weight, what you're eating, activities, or general life happenings. No limits here. Looking forward to making some more MFP "friends." :smile:

At the recommendation of my doctor, I started losing weight in March 2019. I'm 5'3" and was approximately 190 lbs (86kg). My cholesterol was high, my blood pressure was elevated, and I had other borderline issues in my blood work. I began losing weight by calorie counting alone and eventually added activity into my routine in the form of walking and bicycling. Over the winter I had gained back some of the weight, but since being home during quarantine, I've been able to refocus on things I am able to control in my life and got back to tracking again. I've lost 25 pounds & my current weight is 158 lbs (71.5kg).

Replies

• AleLue_1
    AleLue_1 Posts: 113 Member
    edited July 2020
    I’m in!! I lost about 5lbs in June! Looking to lose 5lbs again in July!
    I’m 5’1” 171lbs. I have 2 kiddos and try to walk or bicycle daily. I work full time and attend college full time and it’s been hard adjusting to so much sitting and desk work for school.
  • PDXrobinbirdd
    PDXrobinbirdd Posts: 1 Member
    Hi! I’d love to join the 5 pound challenge! That’d be half of my quarantine 10 😬😂
  • Rosered3333
    Rosered3333 Posts: 171 Member
    I’m in! This seems realistic and I’m in desperate need for motivation and accountability. I started Hello Fresh today and I’m hoping that will take the guess work out and the temptations will be lessened.
  • peg2016
    peg2016 Posts: 12 Member
    I am too.
  • skbrodie
    skbrodie Posts: 81 Member
    Count me in! I agree this seems realistic and I love reading everyone's posts. I recently restarted and have 100 lbs to lose. Down three in the past week!
  • JK_BestLifeEver
    JK_BestLifeEver Posts: 9 Member
    Count me in too. I started flexibly plant based eating on June 8. According to my new Withings scale that I started using on June 15, I have lost 6.1 pounds in two weeks. I am really strict with myself, NOT hungry at all and sometimes have “calories” left at the end of the day. Many smoothies for BF and I even have a glass or two of wine. After watching Forks Over Knives (a couple times) and a plethora of YouTube videos about plant based eating I’ve thrown in the towel. No more chicken or beef for me. I’m good with that. Fish, on the other hand - well, I struggle with giving up tuna and salmon. My goal: lose 100 pounds in the next year.
  • etolv
    etolv Posts: 48 Member
    Around mid-day when I start to get peckish I've been making these homemade snack plates. I just chop up whatever veggies I have on hand and eat with a Tbsp or 2 of dip, and a handful of olives. I've also been enjoying these 30 calorie Laughing Cow cheese wedges. They are really tasty. Do any of you have a favorite go-to snack? I also like chips and stuff like that, but I try to only eat a handful and then close the bag back up. Last month I managed to make a pack of Oreo's last the whole month! I'd eat one or two a day (instead of half the package. LOL)
    4k46kdeutu9y.png
  • ZombieKillaPrincess
    ZombieKillaPrincess Posts: 404 Member
    etolv wrote: »
    Around mid-day when I start to get peckish I've been making these homemade snack plates. I just chop up whatever veggies I have on hand and eat with a Tbsp or 2 of dip, and a handful of olives. I've also been enjoying these 30 calorie Laughing Cow cheese wedges. They are really tasty. Do any of you have a favorite go-to snack? I also like chips and stuff like that, but I try to only eat a handful and then close the bag back up. Last month I managed to make a pack of Oreo's last the whole month! I'd eat one or two a day (instead of half the package. LOL)
    4k46kdeutu9y.png

This looks amazing! Mmmm
  • ZombieKillaPrincess
    ZombieKillaPrincess Posts: 404 Member
    I'm in! Not new to MFP but just starting again... I've been switching to eating healthier and I know I need to count my calories again because it just works! It makes me aware of what's going into my body. I used to be a frequest crossfitter for many years but after having my 3rd and final baby a year ago, I just didn't have the schedule to allow for me to go anymore. I have starting going on more walks and hikes, yoga at home, recently discovered Ring Fit Adventure at home and also just got a cycling bike for home. I am determined!
  • helikumar2019
    helikumar2019 Posts: 10 Member
    I'm in!
    June was a very difficult month for my life and my health.
    I'm very serious about my diet and glucose levels. Definitely I will lose weight this month!

We can do this 👍💪💪
  • helikumar2019
    helikumar2019 Posts: 10 Member
    Count me in too. I started flexibly plant based eating on June 8. According to my new Withings scale that I started using on June 15, I have lost 6.1 pounds in two weeks. I am really strict with myself, NOT hungry at all and sometimes have “calories” left at the end of the day. Many smoothies for BF and I even have a glass or two of wine. After watching Forks Over Knives (a couple times) and a plethora of YouTube videos about plant based eating I’ve thrown in the towel. No more chicken or beef for me. I’m good with that. Fish, on the other hand - well, I struggle with giving up tuna and salmon. My goal: lose 100 pounds in the next year.

All the best!
  • JK_BestLifeEver
    JK_BestLifeEver Posts: 9 Member
    I am/was a snacker. ( AAARGH! ) Glass of wine with a few hunks of cheese, pepperoni, pretzels - - used to love that! I haven’t given up my wine yet. But I have replaced the other things with the lowest in calories of crackers - and some hummus. (I am not a huge hummus fan BUT I found one at Trader Joe’s that I love- Dill pickle hummus! ) I bought the crackers - big box - at Costco. (Crunchmaster Multigrain Baked) Then repackage them in snack size Ziploc bags.
  • Hursty20
    Hursty20 Posts: 8 Member
    I’m in! This is exactly what I need. Hopefully can meet some new people along the way (:
  • freshstart180213
    freshstart180213 Posts: 170 Member
    yeah im in i need someone to be accountable to when i dont push or eat junk as i keep dancing around gaining and losing the same two or three pounds i want to push myself i have 16lbs to lose and i started fresh and back on here today i have completed day 7 of chloe tings two week work out so have another seven days left
  • vivmiller08
    vivmiller08 Posts: 37 Member
    Count me in! 5lbs is a great monthly goal.
    5'8
    CW 189lbs

Keto-ing my way to goal weight (3 months in). Still got 30lbs to lose. Not doing too bad this time round but need to up my exercise - if Scottish weather improves 🤣. Aiming for 3 cycles a week and 2 SUPs. Favourite snack is celery - raw not cooked!
  • donidaily
    donidaily Posts: 825 Member
    A day late but 5lb is my goal for July! @etolv your loss so far is fantastic 🤗 Health is a great motivator.

I'm 5'9, start weight in May was 184.6. I had gained 12lb in the first two months of the pandemic! (I got stranded abroad and was totally stressed out, home now.) Yesterday started the month on 169.8. My ultimate goal is 159. Look forward to chatting with you all this month, let's go!
  • chupacabragumbo
    chupacabragumbo Posts: 31 Member
    Yeah, I'm in!
    Start weight for the beginning of July is 227. Stretch goal for the July 30th is 220
  • donidaily
    donidaily Posts: 825 Member
    I weigh in on Fridays and am 2.2lbs down from July 1 so I must have been a bit bloated on that day. More importantly though, my BMI is in the healthy weight range for the first time since November 2019 (and even then I hit it for one week before the holidays got me). Now to keep going 🚂
  • AleLue_1
    AleLue_1 Posts: 113 Member
    7/3/20: I’m down to 168.6lbs! Hoping I don’t gain holiday weight!
    AleLue_1 wrote: »
    I’m in!! I lost about 5lbs in June! Looking to lose 5lbs again in July!
    I’m 5’1” 171lbs. I have 2 kiddos and try to walk or bicycle daily. I work full time and attend college full time and it’s been hard adjusting to so much sitting and desk work for school.