recipe ideas that use yogurt?

Options
amandaeve
amandaeve Posts: 723 Member
So, I got a giant tub of yogurt that's a different brand than my usual and I don't care for the flavor. I'm thinking I could make some muffins or something with it. I looked up a few healthy recipes, and most of them use 1/3 C or less of yogurt. I would be making mountains of muffins to use up my giant tub. I would want to be SURE I'm making something delicious. Anyone have any suggestions?

Replies

• harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    What flavor is the yogurt?
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,086 Member
    Options
    Baking is a good idea, but the extra carbs might not be in your best interest, lol. I use yogurt in marinades for chicken (various flavor profiles - even as simple as a quick mix of yogurt with curry powder), salad dressings (both as the intended ingredient and as a swap for sour cream or even mayo), and more. If your tub is of greek yogurt, you can "dilute" it a bit with milk or water to make a thinner product; conversely, if your tub is of regular yogurt, you can strain out the excess liquid (whey) and create your own "greek" yogurt. Oh, and it goes - in all forms - good in smoothies of various kinds.
  • amandaeve
    Options
    harper16 wrote: »

It’s plain.

• amandaeve
    Options
    I’m gonna do all the things!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,625 Member
    Options
    I don't bake much but I use yoghurt based sauces for grilled meat such as kebab. Tzaziki recipe and maybe add mint and a little mango chutney if your meat is Indian subcontinent oriented or garlic and lemon if your BBQ flavour is more Turkish/Middle Eastern.

I also use no fat yoghurt to make ranch dressing.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Get jelly, the kind you make with boiling water. Use half the water, replace the remaining water with yoghurt and use egg beaters to make sure there are no yoghurt lumps in the mixture. It looks like white-ish jelly when it sets, flavour is more or less something between custard and the jelly you used and it lasts for several days.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    This is also easy to make, full of protein and uses a lot of yoghurt. It is something between a custard and a crustless cheesecake: beat 4 eggs, add 50 grams of honey, 250 grams of plain yoghurt, 10 grams of cornstarch. Mix well, place in a baking dish and bake for about 20 mins in medium heat, warm oven. The custard should be set and just starting to turn golden. Best served cold, with a bit of maple syrup, jam or honey.
  • amandaeve
    Options
    OMG, now I have to get more yogurt to try this custard, that sounds good! I made a curry sauce and mixed in crumbled tempeh, red onion. It was really good. I made a lime garlic yogurt chicken marinade, and it was so-so. I think the issue was I grilled the chicken before it thawed fully. Whoops. I made some banana cocoa yogurt muffins that were delicious after sitting a day, but too bitter warm (only sweetener was a bit of honey). I want to try this custard now....
  • fstrickl
    fstrickl Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    amandaeve wrote: »
    harper16 wrote: »

It’s plain.

Plain yogurt is great because it's a good base and you can add any flavour to it! Is it greek yogurt?
    Basically anywhere you'd use mayo or sour cream you can use plain yogurt. Mix it with hardboiled eggs or tuna for a sandwich. Use it in smoothies, overnight oats, eat it plain with loads of fruit and some vanilla extract mixed in. Mix plain yogurt, peanut butter, and honey for delicious fruit dip.

Here's a Greek chicken marinade, (tip: thaw chicken fully :wink: )
    https://www.budgetbytes.com/greek-marinated-chicken/

Make an alfredo sauce (this recipe uses butter FYI)
    https://www.lecremedelacrumb.com/greek-yogurt-alfredo-sauce/

And agreed, that custard sounds amazing!
  • mjbnj0001
    edited July 2020
    Options
    So, @amandaeve , I thought of you today when prepping food earlier today to tide us over in case Tropical Storm Fay caused us to lose power here in NJ. The original plan was to grill, yesterday, some boneless/skinless chicken breasts. I had pulled the chicken out of the freezer yesterday before heading out on a long bike ride; the "chicken brick" (LOL) hadn't thawed fully when I returned to do dinner, so it rolled over to today, and got the "tropical citrus-y flavoring for a tropical storm prep" treatment. My "plan B" was to do a greek yogurt/lemon juice marinade and bake them. Pictures enclosed.

1. Chicken has been marinading for about 90 minutes, about ready to be baked.
    2. Baking arrangement. Topped with some paprika and parsley.
    3. Done. About 48 minutes at 400F.
    4. Served. With mashed potatoes (skins included) and Carolina-style red cabbage vinegar slaw.

ahl7frs3pdyg.jpg

p6korugc86ex.jpg

l710exiq1pg7.jpg

1mrdb30ib2bh.jpg

Marinade: about 1C yogurt, juice of 2 lemons, granulated garlic and granulated onion to taste, "Mrs. Dash" Lemon-Pepper seasoning, dried parsley and dried oregano to taste. Mix well and pour over chicken, ensuring all parts coated.

• mjbnj0001
    Options
    fstrickl wrote: »

Here's a Greek chicken marinade, (tip: thaw chicken fully :wink: )
    https://www.budgetbytes.com/greek-marinated-chicken/

I just checked this recipe you posted. It's a lot like the one I used, above. Great minds think alike, LOL!