When the nutrition info changes [rant/vent]

Options
zyxst
zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
I looked at the back of the smoked mussels I've been eating for the iron. Yeah, everything changed. *sigh* At least I caught it after eating only one can. Idk where the mussels came from before, but the new ones are 'responsibly farmed', which is great. I'm just annoyed about losing 61% iron per serving. Y'all know the feeling, I'm sure.

Also, I don't need advice on how to increase my iron intake. Don't even talk to me about cooking in a cast iron skillet.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,957 Member
    Options
    ...Or they made a mistake. The iron doesn't just disappear from shellfish.
  • zyxst
    Options
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    There is no way this happened. I will believe this when you post the same product but different nutrition info. Basically pics or it did not happen.

Hey, thanks for calling me a liar. Appreciate it!
  • zyxst
    Options
    ...Or they made a mistake. The iron doesn't just disappear from shellfish.

Yes? I understand both points?
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    There are lots of times the nutritional information on seemingly identical products is different. Manufacturers may change the formula/recipe or the measurement in a package without warning or the same product may differ regionally depending on which manufacturing plant is used. If the change is too radical to seem plausible, I'd contact the manufacturer and see if the label is in error.
  • sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,720 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Also double-check if they changed serving size or package size. Many manufacturers are changing both to save money, and if you've noticed the iron is different then odds are something else is too, such as calories.
  • ebrookes73
    ebrookes73 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Could they have changed what feed the mussels are given?
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,454 Member
    Options
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    ebrookes73 wrote: »
    Could they have changed what feed the mussels are given?

You serious with this post???

They drink mussel milk, don’t they?
  • anj32694
    anj32694 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    I looked at the back of the smoked mussels I've been eating for the iron. Yeah, everything changed. *sigh* At least I caught it after eating only one can. Idk where the mussels came from before, but the new ones are 'responsibly farmed', which is great. I'm just annoyed about losing 61% iron per serving. Y'all know the feeling, I'm sure.

Also, I don't need advice on how to increase my iron intake. Don't even talk to me about cooking in a cast iron skillet.
    zyxst wrote: »

*kitten*!
    Also, you’re allowed to rant. It’s my preferred reaction.
  • anj32694
    anj32694 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hahahaha it changed my curse to kitten. Nice.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    I'm anemic and never want to hear about using cast iron pans either.

A picture would indeed be helpful. Maybe they started listing the iron in grams and used to do percentages? Or, more likely, maybe they changed the serving size? Who knows? Hence, a picture.

Let's say for example you use Cole's Smoked Mussels. Currently, one tin, 69 g (drained) provides 12%. Maybe the tin used to be bigger.

https://www.radiantlifecatalog.com/product/1523/nutrient-dense-foods?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0Kf4pqm56gIVCY6zCh3Q1QtJEAQYAyABEgKBSvD_BwE