Struggling With Binge Eating After Losing Weight

Options
ZeeLed
ZeeLed Posts: 15 Member
edited June 2020 in Motivation and Support
Hi. This is my first time posting in the community. I hope this post is in the correct place. I started my weight loss journey back in March of this year. I’ve done great and I’ve even lost 44 pounds. I still have 35 pounds to go before I reach my goal weight. I have been struggling these last two weeks. My daughters birthday, Father’s Day, and my wedding anniversary were all in the same week. That meant eating a lot of foods that weren’t good for me. I did good at portioning and trying my best to stay within my calorie budget. I did good for the most part. The problem that I’m having is now that I’ve had those foods (cake, etc) I am craving them badly and I’ve noticed that I have a need to eat more. I don’t know if it’s just that I’m scared of binging and gaining back all of the weight or that I’m just thinking about it too much. I’ve recently started drinking Coke Zero after these events, and that has been a struggle for me as well. Soda in general was a big factor in my weight gain to begin with. I’m torn under the guise that Coke Zero is 0 calories so it’s not actually all that bad for me. However, part of my brain is telling me otherwise and that if I don’t stop drinking them I’m going to gain all of the weight back. Anyway, I have noticed that I am binging foods now. This has been happening for the last two weeks. I can’t seem to get a handle on it.

I stepped on the scale for my weigh in last week and noticed I had lost weight, even after all of those events. But I stepped on the scale this week and I’ve gained a pound. I’m terrified that I won’t be able to get back on track and I won’t reach my ultimate goal.

Any kind words of support or, honestly, some harsh reality would be welcomed.

Thank you!

Replies

• wendygotthis
    wendygotthis Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Sorry that you had a rough time. I definitely understand the feeling. I’m starting to learn Home none to best myself up or lost myself down the rabbit hole of thinking on what I’ve done since I can’t undo. It’s definitely been helpful. And as far as soda, if you feel it’s not good for you then why do it? I recently started drinking soda for energy, again. I realized I liked the trade and am probably addicted. A part of me is punishing myself. Do you struggle with this and why? I’d lost weight last year and have gained that back plus an extra 60 or so pounds. Much of the issue is due to worsening injury but definitely due to “stuffing” & emotional eating after trauma as well as not using my coping skills & MFP. Eating whether we deprive or starve ourselves, as I used to, or overeat, as I do now, is a symptom of the issue. Like a fever with illness. What is your root cause and how can you help yourself address it vs controlling symptoms? I’m going to start with journaling (even when I don’t think have anything to write or fee silenced), breathing every hour (setting my alarm) back on schedule /on point w/ sleep hygiene and logging food :). Above all that I’m doing , I’m gong to remind myself that I’m beautiful and worthy as I am ❤️
  • meredithsloane
    meredithsloane Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hi, I totally understand that fear. I lost 60 pounds 5 years ago (fluctuating between 60-70 pounds total weight loss) and I have had 3 “binge” periods. The first 2 I really panicked and beat up on myself. I wound up gaining about 8 pounds during each episode but always managed to lose it again by just tightening up on eating. The third binge episode is now, during the pandemic. I have gained 8 pounds and am now on top of it and getting under control but this time I am not as anxious about it. 3 slip ups in 5 years is just part of the up and down rollercoaster of life. Hopefully you enjoyed the festivities of Fathers Day and the anniversary and now just take a breather and get back to what you were doing that gave you success with your initial weight loss. You can do it!
  • starfruit132
    starfruit132 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Zeeled, first congrats on the great success that you have had already. The fear of gaining is real. I've been there, and it was a self-fulfilling prophecy when I gave up every time I didn't have a "good" week or month. My binges have gotten much less frequent when I faced "the dragon". Do the math of how many calories it takes to gain a pound and how long it would take to gain it all back. It helps put a stressful or celebratory day or two or five in perspective. I sometimes am thankful that it takes a few weeks to lose a pound because the alternative would be even worse during a gaining cycle. And, yes, diet coke is a weakness here too, lol. Stay strong!
  • joshchapo
    joshchapo Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    ZeeLed wrote: »
    Hi. This is my first time posting in the community. I hope this post is in the correct place. I started my weight loss journey back in March of this year. I’ve done great and I’ve even lost 44 pounds. I still have 35 pounds to go before I reach my goal weight. I have been struggling these last two weeks. My daughters birthday, Father’s Day, and my wedding anniversary were all in the same week. That meant eating a lot of foods that weren’t good for me. I did good at portioning and trying my best to stay within my calorie budget. I did good for the most part. The problem that I’m having is now that I’ve had those foods (cake, etc) I am craving them badly and I’ve noticed that I have a need to eat more. I don’t know if it’s just that I’m scared of binging and gaining back all of the weight or that I’m just thinking about it too much. I’ve recently started drinking Coke Zero after these events, and that has been a struggle for me as well. Soda in general was a big factor in my weight gain to begin with. I’m torn under the guise that Coke Zero is 0 calories so it’s not actually all that bad for me. However, part of my brain is telling me otherwise and that if I don’t stop drinking them I’m going to gain all of the weight back. Anyway, I have noticed that I am binging foods now. This has been happening for the last two weeks. I can’t seem to get a handle on it.

I stepped on the scale for my weigh in last week and noticed I had lost weight, even after all of those events. But I stepped on the scale this week and I’ve gained a pound. I’m terrified that I won’t be able to get back on track and I won’t reach my ultimate goal.

Any kind words of support or, honestly, some harsh reality would be welcomed.

Thank you!

Hi there
    I’m still new to working out/ getting in shape I started in sept 2019 I then had a major slip up in may due to turkey hunting season which is my favorite thing to do
    I went back to the Hershey’s syrup which I had a problem with in the past sounds strange but I was addicted to it I would have a 48oz bottle of syrup and get maybe 6 16oz cups out of it my wife kept tally for one year and I had went through over 250 bottles of Hershey syrup OMG right??? Lol
    And in may I went back to the syrup after I got from 212 to 180 then after may back to 189-190 (also eating boxed Mac+cheese and pizza rolls) I lived off Mac cheese ,pizza rolls and chocolate milk for 10+ years)

But then I realized vacation is over time to get back to reality ( and diabetes runs in my family and I’m afraid to get that)
    I also wanted to be in better shape for my daughter who is almost 2. I wanna be able to run+play with her not just watch her.

Just saying what can help is think of your future, your kid(s) , health and the confidence you give yourself when you can have a slight mistake and get right back on track!!
    It’s ok to have small mistake we all have them. I also liked soda til I realized its not good for me again comes back to diabetes thing for me
    You can do it!!
    Sounds like you made huge improvements before this (mini vacation we will call it) so you can definitely get those improvements right back!!
    Put it behind you and look forward 😎
    Keep all updated
  • anj32694
    anj32694 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I hope you’ve had a better few days since you posted. I completely understand the struggle! When those old trigger foods, patterns, or emotions sneak up on you, the resolution wanes. 1 lb is not a back slide! You got this. Let’s get this *kitten* done.
  • ZeeLed
    ZeeLed Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi, everyone.

First, I just wanted to thank you all for your kind words and support. They mean a lot.

I had to get myself back into the mentality necessary to achieve my goal. I think I just lost sight of it after indulging. I have stopped drinking diet soda and realized that it was causing me to crave sugar. I've readjusted my goals in MFP and realized I was eating too many calories. I will need to keep in mind that I have to adjust the goals after a month or so.

Since my original post, I've lost 4.4 pounds. I hope you all are well.