Can you lose fat and gain muscle at the same time?

If hypothetically my maintenance is 1350 calories and I want to lose 11 lbs, I can not eat 850 calories to make a 500 calorie deficit, not even 1100 calories to make 250 calories deficit. I can make around 150 calories deficit to and eat 1200 and aim to lose the 11 lbs in about 9 months. And if I follow the reddit body weight routine this 9 months, can I build muscle even with the calorie deficit? Is there anything I have to do with macros? Or I can stick to MFP macros of 150g carb, 40g fat and 60g protein.

I am a very short sedentary woman. Aiming to lose the last 10-12 pound and get to 100 pound mark. I barely take 5000 non intentional steps, I live in a 550 sq ft apartment in Toronto.

I know a few things about progressive overload (too much fitness youtube scouring these days), and since I am quite weak, the body weight exercises will be a progressive overload for me with progressions. Another issue, that workout is 3 times a week, will take around 45 minutes. So those 3 days, should I eat back the exercise calories. It won't be much I assume. Something ranging from 50-100 calories given it takes 11 minutes for me to jump rope 1000 jumps with 10-20 second rest in between each 100 jumps and it burns somewhere around 40-50 calories for me.

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    So yes, its possible for people to gain muscle and lose fat, especially when they were previously very sedentary, new to exercise or overfat. Of course this is based on an adequate resistance stimulus and adequate protein.

How short are you? Also, the issue with bodyweight training is the limitations of being able to continuously being able to achieve progressive overload. So it might be ok to start with but at some point its going to be difficult to increase overall volume.

If your goal is to build muscle, you want protein closer to 1g/lb so around 100-110g.
  • threeyears2024
    threeyears2024 Posts: 52 Member
    edited July 2020
    psuLemon wrote: »
    So yes, its possible for people to gain muscle and lose fat, especially when they were previously very sedentary, new to exercise or overfat. Of course this is based on an adequate resistance stimulus and adequate protein.

How short are you? Also, the issue with bodyweight training is the limitations of being able to continuously being able to achieve progressive overload. So it might be ok to start with but at some point its going to be difficult to increase overall volume.

If your goal is to build muscle, you want protein closer to 1g/lb so around 100-110g.

I am 4ft 10.5/11'' and 111-112 lbs. The body weight drill has decent progressions which will take me months to achieve, some may take years. Like pull ups, handstand. I can barely do a push up.

So if I increase my protein from 60g to 100g, there's a 40g switch I need to make in carbs and fats, right?

To be very honest, I want to not look tubby and my theory (which can totally be wrong) is with hypertrophy there will be a bit of muscle definition which will pop if I simultaneously lose some fat. Pretty petty I know. But I also want to be stronger, not just look stronger after this time.
  • psuLemon

I am 4ft 10.5/11'' and 111-112 lbs. The body weight drill has decent progressions which will take me months to achieve, some may take years. Like pull ups, handstand. I can barely do a push up.

So if I increase my protein from 60g to 100g, there's a 40g switch I need to make in carbs and fats, right?

To be very honest, I want to not look tubby and my theory (which can totally be wrong) is with hypertrophy there will be a bit of muscle definition which will pop if I simultaneously lose some fat. Pretty petty I know. But I also want to be stronger, not just look stronger after this time.

Given your fat is already on the lower end, i would take it from carbs. I would also start calories a bit higher (~1100-1200) and not worry about eating back exercise calories. Also, given you aren't very heavy, you should use a food scale. Those last 10 lbs require more precision.
  • threeyears2024

Given your fat is already on the lower end, i would take it from carbs. I would also start calories a bit higher (~1100-1200) and not worry about eating back exercise calories. Also, given you aren't very heavy, you should use a food scale. Those last 10 lbs require more precision.

Sorry for asking too many questions. I am trying to make a food menu based on 100g protein. Meeting 100g of protein is pretty difficult in 1200 calorie budget. I have been tweaking for hours and can not exceed 75g of protein.

• tequierosince06
    tequierosince06 Posts: 101 Member
    Heres an example of a roughly 1200 cal day with 119g protein. This was 1264
    Breakfast 2 eggs & 1oz of deli turkey scrambled together

Morning snack 1/2cup watermelon

Before lunch snack 30 pistachios

Lunch 5oz carne asada With 3.8oz black beans

Snack Can of light tuna with light mayo & half boiled egg. Eaten w whole grain crackers.

Dinner 2 chicken drumsticks with broccoli and 1/4cup of mexican rice.
  • lucidchroma
    lucidchroma Posts: 57 Member
    edited July 2020
    Heres an example of a roughly 1200 cal day with 119g protein. This was 1264
    Breakfast 2 eggs & 1oz of deli turkey scrambled together

Morning snack 1/2cup watermelon

Before lunch snack 30 pistachios

Lunch 5oz carne asada With 3.8oz black beans

Snack Can of light tuna with light mayo & half boiled egg. Eaten w whole grain crackers.

Dinner 2 chicken drumsticks with broccoli and 1/4cup of mexican rice.

This gave me some insight. Thanks
  • tequierosince06
    tequierosince06 Posts: 101 Member
    Yw. Remember to weigh ur meat raw. It will make a huge difference in calories & protein if you dont. Which can either be good or bad. Good because its more protein raw vs cooked and bad because its more calories raw vs cooked. So if ur logging 3oz of cooked meat chances are the raw weight can be 2oz more which means a big diff in calories depending on the type of meat.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited July 2020
    The biggest key for protein, when it seems hard to reach, is to concentrate more on lean sources. Tuna, chicken, other fish are good. Pork tenderloin has a lot of protein bang per gram - just finished about 6 oz for lunch. Egg whites are good too. If you do ground beef, go lean. There is also ground bison, which is leaner naturally, and ground turkey too. Depends what you like.

When you are using meat sources, the biggest variant is fat content. Lower is better if you want high protein w/o a lot of calories. (1 gram protein = ~4 kcal; 1 gram of fat = ~ 9 kcal)

I'm not vegetarian or vegan obviously, so not really up on other sources.
  • psuLemon
    First, never feel bad about asking questions. That is why there is a forum. Second, to add to what others are saying, you can also add in some whey protein to increase your protein intake. I often add it to plain greek yogurt (about 1/2 a scoop) to hit 30 grams with about 200 calories. Shrimp, white fish, Ahi Tuna, lean beef, chicken (even thighs), are all pretty low calories. You can add egg white with 2 eggs with a cheese.

Also, recognize it doesn't have to be perfect. If you are hitting 80-110g, you are in a good range. I have found prelogging calories is a great way to get protein high.
  • threeyears2024
    First, never feel bad about asking questions. That is why there is a forum. Second, to add to what others are saying, you can also add in some whey protein to increase your protein intake. I often add it to plain greek yogurt (about 1/2 a scoop) to hit 30 grams with about 200 calories. Shrimp, white fish, Ahi Tuna, lean beef, chicken (even thighs), are all pretty low calories. You can add egg white with 2 eggs with a cheese.

Also, recognize it doesn't have to be perfect. If you are hitting 80-110g, you are in a good range. I have found prelogging calories is a great way to get protein high.

Thank you. I was getting overwhelmed. I don't eat red meat and don't like fish that much. I also don't buy processed meat. And there's two things I honestly can not get rid of my diet. Coffee with milk powder (Liquid milk upsets my stomach) and milk rusk. I think if I keep these two things I won't feel like I am suffering. I don't want to feel like I am punishing myself.

Simplified the diet this way.

Breakfast : 2 eggs poached, coffee with milk powder and 2 britannia milk rusk (19g weight)

Lunch : 200g of some kind of veggies with 200g of chicken (any part), boneless, skinless cooked in either soy sauce and black pepper or indian spices {I don't use oil in any of my cooking. It has been many years}

Snack : Coffee with milk powder and 2 britannia milk rusk (19g) and 100-150 g of some kind of fruits

Dinner : 2 eggs scrambled/100g of tuna/tilapia/salmon/shrimp with 100-150g of veggies

Post dinner : Casein protein powder 15g (half a scoop) with water.

This gives me about 105g of protein, 45g of fat and 82g of carbs. Will bank the 50-ish calories everyday for pasta/pizza slices/ice cream/Chinese take out/cinnamon bun/bread and peanut butter on the 7th day.