• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,376 Member
    kaylakim18 wrote: »
    I am quite petite so I thought I should consumer lesser calories moreover, I used tdee calculator to calculate how much I should be consuming and I do not workout that intensely that's one of the reasons.

I would be skeptical about a TDEE calculator that gave you a goal of 1,050 as someone who is working out regularly. Generally, 1,200 is the lowest that a woman should go (and most women who are exercising shouldn't even go that low).

Usually for my workouts I only do 20mins of HIIT and that's about it, and I thought this amount of weight loss is not much, hence I lowered my calorie consumption.

I think the issue is that your goals aren't realistic. Since you don't weight much, you won't lose much each week. Trying to cut your calories further to reach a higher rate of loss is just going to result in undereating.

So would increasing my calorie intake to about 1200calories help me to further lose more weight ??

Most people would find that they would lose weight at 1,200 calories, but I'm curious about why you would choose that as your goal? It feels like you're randomly picking numbers. What you want to do is figure out what a reasonable deficit is for you and then consistently hit that. The issue here is that your expectations don't seem to be realistic. 1 kg a month is a good rate of loss for someone at your weight.

How can I figure out a reasonable deficit for me? Do I use the calorie calculators online?

There are tons of calorie calculators online. Some are great, some are okay, some are terrible. The one you already found recommending under 1,200, I wouldn't use that one. Have you tried entering your goals and stats into MFP? That will give you a calorie goal (make sure you choose a reasonable rate of loss).

Yeap I trief entering my goals and stats into MFP, and the calorie intake they recommended for me is 1200kcal

What rate of loss are you choosing?

I chose 0.5kg/week and they recommended me 1200kcal, I tried clicking on 0.75kg&1kg/week and they also recommended me 1200kcal which is weird...

No, it's not weird. MFP will never give you less than 1200 calories as it's unhealthy for a woman. Thus if you're given 1200 calories you can be sure that your weekly weightloss goal is too big. Try 0.25kg per week, and I'm sure you'll get more calories.
  • kaylakim18
    kaylakim18 Posts: 15 Member
    yirara wrote: »
    I am quite petite so I thought I should consumer lesser calories moreover, I used tdee calculator to calculate how much I should be consuming and I do not workout that intensely that's one of the reasons.

I would be skeptical about a TDEE calculator that gave you a goal of 1,050 as someone who is working out regularly. Generally, 1,200 is the lowest that a woman should go (and most women who are exercising shouldn't even go that low).

Usually for my workouts I only do 20mins of HIIT and that's about it, and I thought this amount of weight loss is not much, hence I lowered my calorie consumption.

I think the issue is that your goals aren't realistic. Since you don't weight much, you won't lose much each week. Trying to cut your calories further to reach a higher rate of loss is just going to result in undereating.

So would increasing my calorie intake to about 1200calories help me to further lose more weight ??

Most people would find that they would lose weight at 1,200 calories, but I'm curious about why you would choose that as your goal? It feels like you're randomly picking numbers. What you want to do is figure out what a reasonable deficit is for you and then consistently hit that. The issue here is that your expectations don't seem to be realistic. 1 kg a month is a good rate of loss for someone at your weight.

How can I figure out a reasonable deficit for me? Do I use the calorie calculators online?

There are tons of calorie calculators online. Some are great, some are okay, some are terrible. The one you already found recommending under 1,200, I wouldn't use that one. Have you tried entering your goals and stats into MFP? That will give you a calorie goal (make sure you choose a reasonable rate of loss).

Yeap I trief entering my goals and stats into MFP, and the calorie intake they recommended for me is 1200kcal

I chose 0.5kg/week and they recommended me 1200kcal, I tried clicking on 0.75kg&1kg/week and they also recommended me 1200kcal which is weird...

No, it's not weird. MFP will never give you less than 1200 calories as it's unhealthy for a woman. Thus if you're given 1200 calories you can be sure that your weekly weightloss goal is too big. Try 0.25kg per week, and I'm sure you'll get more calories.

Okay sure thankyou! I would like to clarify, if I increase my calorie intake would I gain water weight or is that like a temporary thing and it would go away after a few days? Because I am afraid that once I increase my calorie intake I am gonna gain weight... and also would increasing my calorie intake aid my weight loss journey?
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    edited July 2020
    Honestly, I think you are right on track. 1kg/mo loss is appropriate for your size. Your calories are low, but most people undercount (even most diaticians), so maybe (hopefully) you're actually consuming around what RelCanonical consumes.

The reason MFP gives you 1200cal/day is you requested a rate of loss that is too aggressive and 1200 is the lowest MFP will go. 1kg is for people who have 100 lb to lose. That is not appropriate for you.

The only thing that you need to adjust is your expectation.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member

1200 calories is the lowest MFP will go for a female.
  • tequierosince06
    tequierosince06 Posts: 101 Member
    k8ztkuut6o5b.png
    utx1jridzxbf.png

So for the example in the picture, if mildred doesn’t eat back her calories she burned from exercising her calories for the day would be 1392-550 from exercise = 842 which is way too low correct? If she did eat back her calories it would be 1942.
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 978 Member
    This is a variation of what I typed for someone on another thread yesterday. It's just as applicable to you.

If you want to understand how this works, change your MFP setting to Maintain Current Weight and see what it gives you. It's going to be about 1450, possibly under. To lose 0.25kg a week, MFP takes 250 cals off your maintenance number. To lose the 0.5kg you've selected, it would try to take 500 cals off. As it's not safe to eat less than 1200 it will not ever give anyone less than 1200 calories to eat. That means your deficit will be a maximum of 250 and, as you lose weight and need fewer calories to fuel your new weight, your deficit will gradually get even smaller.

I'm pretty much the same height as you. So, as a working example, at the weight I am now, my maintenance cals are 1340. If I wanted to lose weight (which I don't, as my BMI is in the middle of Normal), deducting 250 cals would give me 1090 a day, but MFP would give me 1200. It wouldn't matter what rate of weight loss I select, that's what I'd get because 1200 is the minimum anyone should be eating. BUT, my deficit would only be 140 cals. So, whilst eating 1200 a day, I couldn't possibly lose at a rate of 0.25kg a week. If my logging was 100% accurate both for what I eat and what I expend on exercise, the best I could hope for would be 0.125kg a week but, even then, as my weight went down further, my maintenance calories would get lower and my deficit would get even smaller so my rate of weight loss would decrease further.

To lose my last few kg, before I switched to maintenance earlier this year, took almost a year of very accurate logging.

Right now, you are under-eating. Eating the minimum of 1200 cals a day will ensure that you remain healthy and alive with your hair, nails and muscles intact.
  • kaylakim18
    k8ztkuut6o5b.png
    utx1jridzxbf.png

So for the example in the picture, if mildred doesn’t eat back her calories she burned from exercising her calories for the day would be 1392-550 from exercise = 842 which is way too low correct? If she did eat back her calories it would be 1942.

Would I gain weight if I increase my calorie intake to the one recommended by MFP??
  • yirara

Okay sure thankyou! I would like to clarify, if I increase my calorie intake would I gain water weight or is that like a temporary thing and it would go away after a few days? Because I am afraid that once I increase my calorie intake I am gonna gain weight... and also would increasing my calorie intake aid my weight loss journey?

I hear you! Water weight fluctuations are not fat gain though. Try to remember that. Water weight fluctuates for any reason you can think of, really. Hormonal fluctuations like ovulation or menstruation usually lead to a bit more water weight, travel, and especially air travel, sitting at a desk, stress (very important!, thus stressing out might be a self fulfilling prophecy), a bit more salt, if you're eating low carb then a bit more carbs, hot weather, freezing for some, being tired, and pretty much everything else. And on top of that water weight seems to fluctuate on a monthly cycle and there's nothing you can do about it (think of it as ebb and flood at the sea. It just happens). And on top of that you have varying amounts of waste in your intestines, which of course also have a weight.
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    k8ztkuut6o5b.png
    utx1jridzxbf.png

Would I gain weight if I increase my calorie intake to the one recommended by MFP??

Why do you think you would gain weight eating what MFP tells you to eat in order to lose weight???
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    k8ztkuut6o5b.png
    utx1jridzxbf.png

Why do you think you would gain weight eating what MFP tells you to eat in order to lose weight???

I told her that she'll gain water weight. It'll slowly shed after a sudden jump.
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    k8ztkuut6o5b.png
    utx1jridzxbf.png

I told her that she'll gain water weight. It'll slowly shed after a sudden jump.

Missed that!
  • Strudders67
    Yes, you have correctly understood the example re Mildred.

No, you would not gain weight if you are tracking accurately and are genuinely in a (very small) calorie deficit. Read my response above.

I'm 5'1 and a half. I don't know exactly what that is in cm but it's about how tall you are. I lost 17 kg by eating 1200 cals a day. But, it took a long time because, at almost no point, was my deficit greater than 250 cals.

Weigh yourself tomorrow morning and note that weight; ideally log it here in MFP under Check-In. Measure every liquid that you drink or use to prepare food and weigh everything else that you consume or use to prepare food. Log your exercise cals and eat those too - that's how MFP is designed to work. Weigh yourself again in 6 weeks time. See how it compares to tomorrow's weight and calculate what rate you have been losing weight at. Ignore any and every fluctuation of your bathroom scales in between those two points in time as you need a baseline.
  • tequierosince06
    tequierosince06 Posts: 101 Member
    edited July 2020
    k8ztkuut6o5b.png
    utx1jridzxbf.png

Im in a place in my weight loss journey where Im trying to figure what Im doing wrong so I had posted a question yesterday and my answer was that I am under eating. I am about 5’7 and 175lb. To lose 1lb per week im supposed to eat 1660cal. I thought well less is more right? So ive been eating around 1200-1400 per day. But burning 300-350cal when I workout without eating those calories back. I think means im eating 900-1100cal a day Which my body must not like because Im not losing weight.

The only way to know if ur going to gain weight is to try increasing your calories for a month and see if your overall trend goes down or go up. U and me both are under eating and not seeing results we want. Im increasing my calories as of today.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member

Would I gain weight if I increase my calorie intake to the one recommended by MFP??[/quote]

Im in a place in my weight loss journey where Im trying to figure what Im doing wrong so I had posted a question yesterday and my answer was that I am under eating. I am about 5’7 and 175lb. To lose 1lb per week im supposed to eat 1660cal. I thought well less is more right? So ive been eating around 1200-1400 per day. But burning 300-350cal when I workout without eating those calories back. I think means im eating 900-1100cal a day Which my body must not like because Im not losing weight.

The only way to know if ur going to gain weight is to try increasing your calories for a month and see if your overall trend goes down or go up. U and me both are under eating and not seeing results we want. Im increasing my calories as of today. [/quote]

It can seem a little weird, but think of your current weight while undereating as a "shriveled" weight. When you give something that's shriveled a little bit, it's going to suddenly sprout, but that doesn't mean you've overfed it. You'll gain a little, but you'll probably feel better and have more energy. Sometimes, people who undereat stall because they become more sedentary from being fatigued, but they think they're more active because exercise is so difficult in a fatigued state. In reality, the exercise is probably not enough to make up for a lower NEAT, which is basically all the activity you do that isn't intentional exercise (like sweeping, or going shopping, or similar).
  • Strudders67
    The concern, for both of you, is that by continuing to under-eat you'd feel feel fine, feel fine ...not feel fine. No warning. And the 'not feel fine' bit won't be pretty. Search for the thread about eating under 1200 calories a day. There are plenty of people on here who have posted feedback about what happened to them, and it's not something you want to go through.
  • kaylakim18

So lets say I worked out today and I burned 100 calories from it, so I am suppose to consume back the 100 calories i burned am I right?? (according to MFP)
  • yirara

So lets say I worked out today and I burned 100 calories from it, so I am suppose to consume back the 100 calories i burned am I right?? (according to MFP)

Yes. But you've still not answered how you measure your food intake. Are you using a foodscale for everything that has calories and are you making sure the database entries you select are correct? Considering you lost 1kg in a month it sounds like you're actually logging too little and hence you're eating more than you think - which is good news as it means you're not undereating.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

Also note, the intention with that is that you'd be logging your exercise separately and eating back those calories -- so on the days that you exercise, you'd be having more than 1,200.