Calories burned treadmill vs Apple watch

So I’m 5’2 and 127. I run on my treadmill everyday it’s a nordictrack and I do my fitness through their trainers through IFIT. Now here’s the tricky part, my calories burned on there is completely different then the ones on my watch (usually burn more on my watch). My watch actually says I ran a lot more than treadmill does (which is why more calorie burn) I’m pretty short so is it saying I used my legs more than the treadmill gives me credit for? But on my watch, it doesn’t count for the incline (more calories could be burned) but the treadmill does. So which do I follow? My Apple Watch that measures through my heartbeat and that says I burn my calories then my treadmill? Or follow the treadmill Which tracks how fast I go and can measure incline?

Replies

• Jacq_qui
    Jacq_qui Posts: 429 Member
    What data is your treadmill using to estimate cals?
    Surely your apple watch monitors your HR, which definitely will take into account the incline :)
  • rickifaidley
    rickifaidley Posts: 129 Member
    jacqQ2017 wrote: »
    What data is your treadmill using to estimate cals?
    Surely your apple watch monitors your HR, which definitely will take into account the incline :)

I’m not sure, it goes by my height and weight but my watch always says I ran like a mile more than my treadmill after I’m done.
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    I’m 5”2 and I have an Apple Watch as well. During quarantine I was running 4 miles almost daily outside. Now with the July heat and gyms back open, I’m running on the treadmill. My watch underestimates my miles on a treadmill. The treadmill will say three miles, but I actually will go to 3.15, for my watch to clock in the 3 miles.
    When I first got my watch early March, I was running on the treadmill and it matched the treadmill mileage. The watch may take the incline into account. When I ran outside, the chart showed elevation of the route. How different are the calories from each other? Does nordictrack have you use your arms? Like the elliptical?

• nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    If the Apple watch has a place to enter stride length: that being set incorrectly would give you a wrong total distance.

In general, I'd take the lower of the two estimates and judge results over time.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,091 Member
    Do you use a heavy incline? An incline might cause a different (shorter?) stride length than your usual stride length, resulting in a different distance on your Apple watch. Just a hypothesis though.
  • rickifaidley
    Talan79 wrote: »
    I’m 5”2 and I have an Apple Watch as well. During quarantine I was running 4 miles almost daily outside. Now with the July heat and gyms back open, I’m running on the treadmill. My watch underestimates my miles on a treadmill. The treadmill will say three miles, but I actually will go to 3.15, for my watch to clock in the 3 miles.
    When I first got my watch early March, I was running on the treadmill and it matched the treadmill mileage. The watch may take the incline into account. When I ran outside, the chart showed elevation of the route. How different are the calories from each other? Does nordictrack have you use your arms? Like the elliptical?

My watch estimates much higher calorie burn, maybe like 200 more. And I’m running on my treadmill about 5-7 miles a day depending on how I’m feeling but my watch estimates like a mile more than my treadmill at the end of the workout. Like it’ll say 6.15 miles and my treadmill will say like 5.30. It has handlebars to measure your heart rate but it’s always off and incorrect so I don’t hold on to the handles.
  • rickifaidley
    Lietchi wrote: »
    Do you use a heavy incline? An incline might cause a different (shorter?) stride length than your usual stride length, resulting in a different distance on your Apple watch. Just a hypothesis though.

Sometimes no, and sometimes yes but no matter what the calorie burn and the miles ran are always higher than the treadmills count.
  • Talan79
    Apple Watch has a calibrate feature. Maybe try to calibrate and see if that changes things for you.
  • rickifaidley
    Talan79 wrote: »
    Apple Watch has a calibrate feature. Maybe try to calibrate and see if that changes things for you.

May I ask how I get to that feature? I literally know nothing about my watch except how to turn on the workout and activity app lmao
  • Talan79
    Here is a link with step by step directions:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204516
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,673 Member
    Watches are notoriously poor at gauging distance indoors or on tracks. Go by the distance given by the TM. As to calorie burn, I have a NordicTrack that seems to think I weigh 200 lbs. rather than 120. It is completely off in calorie burn (i.e. running 6 mph it says I burn 1000 calories per hour rather than the 500 or so I actually do). I just put the distance in MFP and use those numbers. I consider any extra calories I burn with incline as a bonus, and don't include that.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    You set this up in MFP when you choose your activity level and time spent working out it makes calorie adjustments for you to accommodate the data entered. Trackers are more for fun and to meet markers, I would just choose one to follow, wouldn't eat back the calories also.
  • panda4153
    panda4153 Posts: 417 Member
    You set this up in MFP when you choose your activity level and time spent working out it makes calorie adjustments for you to accommodate the data entered. Trackers are more for fun and to meet markers, I would just choose one to follow, wouldn't eat back the calories also.

Actually MFP does not factor in the intentional exercise you do, even if you entered it in your profile. Depending on how you have set up your goals it could result in under eating by quite a bit, if you are not adding your exercise into your day and eating back some of those calories. Not I. All cases of course, but if someone set an aggressive goal in MFP and was already eating at a large deficit then it would be more likely
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Watches are notoriously poor at gauging distance indoors or on tracks. Go by the distance given by the TM. As to calorie burn, I have a NordicTrack that seems to think I weigh 200 lbs. rather than 120. It is completely off in calorie burn (i.e. running 6 mph it says I burn 1000 calories per hour rather than the 500 or so I actually do). I just put the distance in MFP and use those numbers. I consider any extra calories I burn with incline as a bonus, and don't include that.

The machines (treadmill, elliptical, rowing) always give me a higher burn than either of my fitness trackers. (Yes, I’m the nerd who wears two.) A lot higher, like 300-500 calories higher—double what the watches say I earned.
  • Tedebearduff
    panda4153 wrote: »

Actually MFP does not factor in the intentional exercise you do, even if you entered it in your profile. Depending on how you have set up your goals it could result in under eating by quite a bit, if you are not adding your exercise into your day and eating back some of those calories. Not I. All cases of course, but if someone set an aggressive goal in MFP and was already eating at a large deficit then it would be more likely

Change your activity level in your settings from Sedentary to Active and let me know if your calories don't adjust for the changes. There are threats on this at least there was years and years ago.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,091 Member

Change your activity level in your settings from Sedentary to Active and let me know if your calories don't adjust for the changes. There are threats on this at least there was years and years ago.

You are talking about something else.

In the goal setup (on the website, not app) MFP asks you how much you intend to exercise. What you enter there doesn't do anything for the calorie goal you are given.

Activity level obviously does influence the calorie goal (but when using MFP as intended, exercise should not be taken into account for choosing the activity level, it should be logged separately).
  • Tedebearduff
    Lietchi wrote: »

You are talking about something else.

In the goal setup (on the website, not app) MFP asks you how much you intend to exercise. What you enter there doesn't do anything for the calorie goal you are given.

Activity level obviously does influence the calorie goal (but when using MFP as intended, exercise should not be taken into account for choosing the activity level, it should be logged separately).

I guess I was mistaken, thanks for the information and letting me know.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    edited July 2020
    The watch calculates burn by including heart rate into the equation. It might be pretty on the nose, but it might not. Case in point - I walk the same route and pretty much the same pace every day. On a really hot day, my watch calculates I have gotten more exercise (significantly) and burned more calories because my HR is higher.

ETA: I kept pretty decent data for several months, with rigorous food logging and regular scale trending, and ended up making an adjustment in my "watch" calories so that it recorded 75% of what its otherwise would give me for burn. Doing that made the data conclusions make sense.