Stretch marks

Options
So when you gain weight you get all the stretchmarks...I'm wondering will they disappear over time as you lose the weight? Or do you need to use treatment of some sort to get 'em gone?

My grandma recommended taking a vitamin e liquid gel and squeezing it over scarring to help reduce it, has anyone tried that before for stretch marks?

Replies

• Dtrmnd86
    Dtrmnd86 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I have a bunch from having twins, and a few from weight gain.. they don't go away, but they will lighten a lot. Some people say tanning hides them, but I think it makes them stand out more. And I think there are some procedures (expensive) that you can get done to help. I'm slowly accepting mine, and I hope they aren't as noticeable when I lose more weight. If I do anything, I may try a firming lotion or Avon cream for them.
  • red_hatorade
    Options
    They are there for life. They may fade, but the damage to the skin stays. I am just going to embrace mine as battle wounds that represent where I started to remind myself never to go back. I got most of mine from gaining weight, and only a couple from being pregnant.
  • cjasins
    Options
    ***bump***
  • shrek1970uk
    shrek1970uk Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    A lot of people swear by cocoa butter to get rid of stretch marks - plus you get to smell yummy too ! :bigsmile:
  • emmaNEEDSskinny
    Options
    stretch marks are not only caused by weight gain but by losing to and theres prob other reasons for them
    they do fade over time into white ones which means they will be less visible
    also cocoa butter really helps with stretch marks and a firming moisturiser
    xxx
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    hydration can prevent them (as in coco butter during pregnancy) but once they are there, there is very little you can do for them without some sort of cosmetic procedure.......I had a tummy tuck so all of mine were effectively "cut off" and I had laser resurfacing done for the stretch marks on my thighs (there since I was a teenager)
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    I still got some. I heard at one point Cocoa Butter works well, but never got around to trying it.
  • TluvK
    TluvK Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I went to a plastic surgeon once to get a large mole removed. She told me that nothing works (she was Harvard educated, so I've really just always believe what she said). The creams, the oils, all of that - all it does is moisturize...nothing wrong with moisturizing, but it's not going to get rid of your stretch marks. I've found they've gotten much better over time. My youngest is 4 years old and the difference from 4 years ago to now is night and day, but they are still obviously there. As for the tanning - I also think tanning makes them worse! Mine just get red and pop out more. Stupid stretch marks. Grrrr.
  • TluvK
    TluvK Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    hydration can prevent them (as in coco butter during pregnancy) but once they are there, there is very little you can do for them without some sort of cosmetic procedure.......I had a tummy tuck so all of mine were effectively "cut off" and I had laser resurfacing done for the stretch marks on my thighs (there since I was a teenager)

You actually can't prevent stretch marks. They're genetic and will appear when your skin is stretched regardless of what you do. It has everything to do with the elasticity of your skin and nothing to do with the moisture added topically to your skin.
  • HeartLunger
    Options
    I plan on a getting cover tattoos for mine... :)
  • LMP1979
    LMP1979 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I've read if the stretch marks are still red there's still hope to heal them considerably. Once they turn white/grey - laser treatment is about the only thing that will get rid of them.

Has anyone tried Tamanu Oil? I've considered trying some for stretch marks. If anyone's tried it I'd love to hear about any results.
  • vellacraptor
    Options
    Hrm I've heard the cocoa butter thing too.
    I've got some on my thighs/stomach but they're all red? They've been like that for a year or two. ' ~'
    Also I've tried using nutmeg + honey for acne scarring, and that actually did help, so it might work for stretch marks.
    I mean, there's no harm in trying so I might just to see what/if anything happens.