Protein immediately after workout?

If I eat a sufficient amount of protein throughout the day, is it still necessary to consume protein immediately after working out in the evening? Are my muscles getting the protein just the same or is it important to have the protein right after working out?

Replies

• trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Your question gets into effeciency of synthesis and muscle recovery. I can't quote you the science from the top of my head, but the short answer is, consuming high quality protein immediately after a strenuous workout improves synthesis and recovery.

I did notice a reduction in post workout soreness and improved recovery when I consume whey protein within 30 minutes of workout compared to when I skipped it.
  • zta1989
    zta1989 Posts: 36 Member
    I read an interesting study that chocolate milk after a workout is "the ideal post-workout recovery drink".
    http://www.utexas.edu/news/2011/06/22/milk_studies/
  • whouwannab
    whouwannab Posts: 350 Member
    Your question gets into effeciency of synthesis and muscle recovery. I can't quote you the science from the top of my head, but the short answer is, consuming high quality protein immediately after a strenuous workout improves synthesis and recovery.

I did notice a reduction in post workout soreness and improved recovery when I consume whey protein within 30 minutes of workout compared to when I skipped it.

Thank you. This makes sense.
  • whouwannab
    whouwannab Posts: 350 Member
    I read an interesting study that chocolate milk after a workout is "the ideal post-workout recovery drink".
    http://www.utexas.edu/news/2011/06/22/milk_studies/

This was an interesting read. I also read through the Q&A after the article and Dr. Ivy who lead the study provided more detail regarding quantity and type of choc milk used. I might have to give it a try. Thanks
  • ericthred
    ericthred Posts: 9 Member
    They actually market a chocolate milk with 20g protein. Something like Rocket Fuel or Rocket Milk. I find it at the Ralphs (southern California.) But it also has about 40 or so grams of sugar, which isn't terrible post workout, but since the WHO suggests around that amount *daily* its a bit of a concern.

However, I look forward to this chocolate milk after every spin class!