Should I buy an elliptical?

Options
So I am recently thinking about buying an elliptical machine, as I am getting tired of doing the same YouTube workouts everyday. I'm not sure how effective it is in terms of fat loss, and if it is worth buying. I really need advice regarding this, so if you guys could help and tell your experiences with it, I would be forever grateful <3

Replies

• ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    This above. Make sure you actually like doing the elliptical first. (you might not find it any less boring than those you tube videos). If you really want some type of indoor cardio machine thingy at home, I'd suggest getting a short term gym membership and trying out their selection for a few weeks first - (do you find the elliptical painfully boring? Do you find you maybe like the spin bikes, or rowing machines, or stair machine things, or... more than the elliptical. Are they all monotonously boring?,.....?)
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    And.. (I find that it needs to be pointed out to people much more frequently than might be expected).. Cardio doesn't need to be a chore where you force yourself to do x minutes per day of something just to get it done... It's so much better to find something you actually love to do and look forward to doing.

(mentioning this because that is so often the case for people considering buying things like treadmills and ellipticals)
  • dawnkirkwood18
    dawnkirkwood18 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I agree with all of the above. It is a personal choice. I enjoy the elliptical, really liked it at the gym and was lucky enough to score a great deal on one just at the beginning of the pandemic stay at home orders so I could continue at home. I was lucky as I managed to grab a great deal on a high quality one that I would not have otherwise been able to afford had someone not bought it and decided they hated it and were out of the return window and looking to sell quickly so they could have room for the bike they decided they wanted to try next. That said- it is large and I don’t really have the room for it- I made room because I needed to be able to continue some part of my routine during this time. I use it regularly- even now that our gyms have reopened- I cardio at home and just use the strength equipment at the gym that I don’t have at home. Good luck in your decision!
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    BEFORE you buy any piece of equipment: can you go to sporting goods/equipment stores and try them out? Different models by different companies, with different features: will feel different to you. I bought a used eliptical from Craigs List and HATED it. Found someone to give it to after that. Since then I've tried some at the gym and they are better, but still not something I particularly enjoy.

When it comes to any form of activity, different people will have different opinions.
  • meharmahshahid
    meharmahshahid Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    BEFORE you buy any piece of equipment: can you go to sporting goods/equipment stores and try them out? Different models by different companies, with different features: will feel different to you. I bought a used eliptical from Craigs List and HATED it. Found someone to give it to after that. Since then I've tried some at the gym and they are better, but still not something I particularly enjoy.

When it comes to any form of activity, different people will have different opinions.

Yes, but I prefer not to go out at all at these times, as at a gym especially, we will have to make contact with objects
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    That makes perfect sense - but if you buy a large, awkward, expensive piece of equipment without trying it out: will you be able to return it if you don't like it???
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options

Yes, but I prefer not to go out at all at these times, as at a gym especially, we will have to make contact with objects

Unless you are willing to spend in the $2-$4k range (new) the elliptical you get at a store or online be nothing like what is at a commercial gym in any case
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    A suggestion:
    We just bought a rowing machine at the start of this pandemic and the isolating.
    My wife rows on a team and wanted it so she could work out while the team was barred from the water.
    I had never really done rowing on an ergometer before and assumed I would find it really boring.
    I don't! I like the workouts I get on it.
    Advantages: The rowing machine is a full-body workout, not just lower body.
    Rowing is a cardio workout, as you can see. But what I did not understand is that it is a strength workout as well, because the harder you row, the further you get with each stroke. So, when you row, you try to row hard.
    A Concept 2 rowing machine is much cheaper than an elliptical (ours cost $900; they've gone up a bit since then), it is easier to move around because it is light weight and it tips up so it stores in a smaller space.
    You might consider it....
  • Ikeeptrying2
    Ikeeptrying2 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    In terms of 'fat loss' - an elliptical nor any other machine or program will provide this. It will help to burn calories - but at the end of the day - loss comes from calorie reduction long term. An hour on an elliptical may burn calories, but it's no match at all for a higher calorie intake.

Consider how it will be moved when you get it and while you have it. Also give though to when it breaks, how it will be moved out. We had a rather large treadmill and it wasn't light to move inside the house when we decided we wanted to relocate it. It was a rather huge pain in the *kitten* to get rid of it when it died. It was our second treadmill actually. There will never be a third.

Just be sure you will be excited about it 5 years from now as you may currently be.

I would give serious thought to all the exercise options that exist before you decide on anything.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    GiddyupTim wrote: »
    A suggestion:
    We just bought a rowing machine at the start of this pandemic and the isolating.
    My wife rows on a team and wanted it so she could work out while the team was barred from the water.
    I had never really done rowing on an ergometer before and assumed I would find it really boring.
    I don't! I like the workouts I get on it.
    Advantages: The rowing machine is a full-body workout, not just lower body.
    Rowing is a cardio workout, as you can see. But what I did not understand is that it is a strength workout as well, because the harder you row, the further you get with each stroke. So, when you row, you try to row hard.
    A Concept 2 rowing machine is much cheaper than an elliptical (ours cost $900; they've gone up a bit since then), it is easier to move around because it is light weight and it tips up so it stores in a smaller space.
    You might consider it....

I have a Concept2 rower and it's also my favorite piece of equipment. But it's not for everyone. My wife, adult son and adult daughter love the AD Pro (Assault Bike) we have much more. Rogue Echo is a fantastic "assault" style bike that's like $799. If I had to pick one piece of cardio equipment, it would be that.

I also just bought a LateralX, so I just did buy an elliptical. I like it, it's different because it moves side to side, not just up and down. But like others have said -- it's expensive (like $2300) and if it breaks, which it will, it will be a pain to fix it.

Personally, I like the C2 Rower, a "Smart" bike trainer and bike, a Rogue Echo or a SkiErg (also a C2 product) better. All of those share the same thing in common -- no "motor" to break and limited electronics to go wrong. Plus, they are all very reasonable in price and hold up for resale value. All are under $1000 (except the bike and smart trainer) and all but the bike/smart trainer work your entire body as well.

I got the LateralX because my wife wanted it. Now I can come back and get a SkiErg next year :wink:
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,416 Member
    Options
    What others have said: a good elliptical is expensive and likely still not what you're used from a gym. Also, numb feet are very common. Do you see yourself using one in the long run? Could you do the same outside, by walking or running around the bloc, going to a park or other things? That might be a bit less dull.
  • GeneralSTpower
    GeneralSTpower Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Suggest taking a look at this elliptical buying guide Might help with some of your questions.
  • minibagz1203
    minibagz1203 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I love my elliptical, its a progear one from Walmart for around $150 and you can feel the workout. On most ellipticals I don't and don't like them. But this cheap one is super awesome
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Do you regularly use the elliptical in the gym? I hate it with a passion, so for me, it would be a piece of equipment I would not use even if someone gifted it to me. On the other hand, I used to be a runner and also enjoy walking, so I have invested in a treadmill, for when outdoors is not fun (heat, rain etc). If it is something you can see yourself using several times per week, go for it. If not, find new videos or simply go for a walk :)
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I have a commercial arc trainer, treadmill, and bike. I use the treadmill and the bike way more than the arc trainer. My treadmill and bike are both life fitness. I find the arc trainer to be easier on the knees than an elliptical. My arc trainer is a cybex.

I got great deals on all 3 pieces. I just started using a home gym that I’ve been building for the past year and it takes up approximately 450 sq ft. The main reason I don’t use the arc trainer much is because it kicks my butt even on the easiest settings.

Elliptical and arc trainers both take up a TON of space. If you are bored with videos, you won’t be any less bored an ANY piece of cardio equipment. I listen to my music and I’m fine, but I wouldn’t call cardio equipment of any kind a good choice if it’s to end boredom. Exercise outside, go hiking, go to a local park, etc.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I would highly recommend using one regularly before deciding to buy one (I know, not really practical advice for this particular moment!). I am someone who likes cardio, but I find the elliptical to be pretty tedious (and it does make my feet fall asleep). It would be a shame to be stuck with a expensive piece of heavy equipment that you didn't like using.
  • BreeBeas
    BreeBeas Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I get a great workout on my elliptical, and I can watch tv while doing it and distract myself from the monotony. I've read that going backwards for a bit every 20 minutes will help with the foot numbness problem, going to try that today.
  • tmbg1
    tmbg1 Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    I regret getting an elliptical simply because I don't use it even though it is a top of the line model. Turns out I just don't enjoy elliptical so now it's just taking up space and I've tried to sell it but no buyers yet. Just make sure you really enjoy ellipticals and I personally wouldn't recommend getting a really expensive one like I did. 🙄
  • katarina005
    katarina005 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I personally hate ellipticals and think they're stupid. Do a jumping jack same full body effort!