Cheat day

So I aim for 1200-1500 calories a day. With 1 cheat day a week. That day is friday or Saturday this week. I just added up what I'm having and it's around 3300. Will that mess up my whole week???

Replies

• harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    edited July 2020
    How much weight are you trying to lose? What is your weekly weight loss goal set at?

And, why a cheat day instead of a cheat meal? Can you lower your calories during the week if you're going to have a cheat day every week.

Eating 1800 calories over once a week is 7200 calories extra a month. That 2 lbs extra in calories.
  • netitheyeti
    netitheyeti Posts: 539 Member
    what's the deficit you're aiming for and what's your maintenance kcal? Cuz for some people it would be ok, but - say - someone like me who *maintains* on 1500ish without exercise (hi, short woman here) and aims for a small deficit, that kinda day *would* wipe out pretty much all the work I'd done the rest of the week
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    As others have pointed out, we don't have enough information to fully answer. We'd need to know how large your deficit is. If it's 250 calories a day, you'd be completely cancelling it out with a 3,300 calorie day. It'd be like you weren't cutting calories at all (because you aren't, you've just decided to consume a big chunk of your weekly calories in a single day). With a deficit of 500 a day, you'd be cutting your weight loss in half. There's nothing wrong with going slower if that is what you prefer, but I personally would be very unhappy with eating just 1,200 the majority of days and still losing weight slowly. I'd rather spread my calories out throughout the week, but you may have a different preference.
  • 1BlueAurora
    1BlueAurora Posts: 439 Member
    Definitely will slow your progress if you're doing this every week. You can always do this and see whether your scale starts showing that you've backslid on your goals.
  • Fitforevermore
    Fitforevermore Posts: 399 Member
    My maintanence is about 2000. I eat 2500 on Saturday and Sunday then 1000 on Monday and 1500 Tues to Fri. I consistently lose 1lb per week doing this and it keeps me from giving up or binging. It's all about your numbers and what works for you
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    lgfrie wrote: »
    You already know the answer. Your body doesn't care about the word "cheat". It's going to tack on a brand new 1/3 to 1/2 pound of fat if you eat 3300 calories. If you're happy gaining some weight to have a big off day, then go for it. If you'd rather not give back any of your progress, then avoid.

Unless I missed it I don't think we have enough information to say they will gain fat from eating 3300 cals one day. For example if it were me and I was eating 1200 cals 6 days and 3300 cals for one I would lose well over 2lbs per week since the average would be 1500 cals. Obviously if they maintain on 1500 that would be a different story.

OP if you provide more information about your deficit, stats that would be helpful
  • GreenValli
    GreenValli Posts: 1,054 Member
    I do not do cheat days. I do occasionally go over my allotted calories but I just include them in my MFP diary. When I do go over I just go over maybe about 100 calories or less. Cheat days for me are only days like Christmas and Thanksgiving.
  • Hanibanani2020
    Hanibanani2020 Posts: 523 Member
    I prefer cheat meals. Cheat days can get out of control very quickly and easily undo so much work.
  • Jacq_qui
    Jacq_qui Posts: 429 Member
    Personally I wouldn't want to eat like a saint 6 days out of 7, and then undo that work on one day. I'd rather have a little bit of something nice each day and not blow the budget, so to speak
  • age_is_just_a_number
    age_is_just_a_number Posts: 630 Member
    I suggest a mindset change.
    Deciding (did you notice that word? Remember your path is your choice.) to be a healthier you is your decision. Being on a calorie deficit to lose weight is not a punishment. Rather it is a gift you are giving yourself. A gift that you want to have. A choice you’ve made. Treating your body well is a form of self respect.

This is a lifestyle change to a healthier you.

So, track your daily calories in. Target 1200 - 1500 calories per day.
    Include healthy and delicious food choices in your calories.
    Once in awhile add a treat. Enjoy your treat. Do not feel guilty about your treat.

One last thought : Food is not a reward or a penalty.
    There are also other ways to reward yourself and to celebrate.

Take care