Steel cut oats

Options
2»

Replies

• TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    IMO, In the grand scheme of processed foods it's about as different as buying pre-sliced celery in water vs. the whole stalk - not very much. If you drink soda, eat white bread, frozen dinners or takeout food like pizza, quibbling over more or less processed oatmeals is really more trouble than its worth.

Yes, I agree. Good analogy, as I wasn't so sure about all the 'so much better for you than regular oats' responses. Steel cuts have an amazing texture, taste great, but both types of oats are very good for you.

BTW, your avatar makes me want to hit the links!
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    WOW! The crockpot recipe is fantastic ;) love it!
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Steel-cot oats are whole oat grains that have been sliced into pieces, rather than being steamed and rolled flat like most oatmeal oats. Different roll thicknesses give the old-fashioned (thick) up to instant (very thin) cooking varieties.

Steel-cut are slightly less processed than the rolled variety (no steaming involved), but they are still machined.

IMO, In the grand scheme of processed foods it's about as different as buying pre-sliced celery in water vs. the whole stalk - not very much. If you drink soda, eat white bread, frozen dinners or takeout food like pizza, quibbling over more or less processed oatmeals is really more trouble than its worth.

You can avoid the long cooking time by soaking them overnight in boiling water, after that cooking them the next morning takes only five minutes or so.

It's true since there is hardly a difference in how they are processed. I just like the texture better :)
  • liza001
    Options
    Learn something new everyday.. Thanks..

Can you soak them overnight and cook them then normally (a few minutes rather than 40minutes) for breakfast?
  • RobynC79
    RobynC79 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Can you soak them overnight and cook them then normally (a few minutes rather than 40minutes) for breakfast?

Yes, that's what I do every morning. They take about 5 minutes to heat and thicken.
  • RobynC79
    RobynC79 Posts: 331 Member
    Options

Yes, I agree. Good analogy, as I wasn't so sure about all the 'so much better for you than regular oats' responses. Steel cuts have an amazing texture, taste great, but both types of oats are very good for you.

BTW, your avatar makes me want to hit the links!

Do it! According to MFP, golf burns a LOT of calories... I always go for a giant steak afterwards since I have so many calories left over after we walk 18.

And the cursing and smacking the clubs into the ground after every bad shot burns even more, I like to think.
  • alisonwww
    Options
    I love them SO MUCH! However, I can NEVER find them. I live in the Chicagoland area, any suggestions where? Every once in awhile, but not often, Aldi has Quick Steel Cut Oats that cook up in a couple of minutes.
  • lukesmama
    lukesmama Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I get Bob's Red Mill and love them. I have them about 3x/week for breakfast. taste great and fill you up all morning. I like them with a tsp. of brown sugar and some milk. They do take a bit to make so I make 1 batch for the week. A lot of fiber and great iron.
  • dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Thanks....I have tried to find these in the grocery store but only saw the old fashioned oats....I will look harder next time1

I get them in the bulk section, so if your store has one, be sure to check there!
  • laurabcarey20
    laurabcarey20 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Trader Joes has frozen packages of Steel Cut Oats! They come individually packaged and all you do this throw them in a bowl and microwave! Super easy and delicious! Much more satisfying and filling than regular packaged oatmeal!
  • jjs22
    jjs22 Posts: 156
    Options
    Apart from taste preference, I think the big difference is how easy it is for your body to absorb the carbs.

Any time you process carb-rich foods by grinding them into dust or squashing them into paper-thin flakes, you make it that much easier for the carbs to be dissolved and pass into your bloodstream all at once. Which means less time until you start feeling hungry again.

By keeping the oat kernels (grains ?) more or less intact, it takes your body that much longer to break them down and absorb the carbs.
  • dietpop
    dietpop Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I like steel cut oats, but I've switched to Better Oats "Raw Bare and Simple" in the morning. http://www.betteroats.com/oats/raw/bare/

It cooks much faster. The Chai Tea flavor is great too!
  • jjs22
    jjs22 Posts: 156
    Options
    This thread made me run out and buy a bunch. They are extremely cheap in bulk at the local health food store : $1.49/pound.

Had some Saturday AM. Yuuums.
  • BrewerGeorge
    BrewerGeorge Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I agree that they're nutritionally pretty similar to the others, but they likely DO have a lower glycemic index because they're slower to digest, mechanically. The steaming process for rolled oats pre-gelates the starches and releases more of the beta glucans (stuff that makes quick oats gummy) as well.

Walmarts here in Indianapolis have been carrying both Quaker and Bob's Red Mill brands steel cut recently, so maybe they have the same in Chicagoland. I've also seen the white tin of Irish oats at Walmart, but they're a lot more expensive than the Quaker.

Cooking is no big deal with the overnight method. Get some of the wide-mouth pint canning jars with lids. The night before add 1/4 cup of steel cut oats to the jar and add 1 cup of boiling water. Put the lid on and leave it until morning. I generally wrap a towel around it to keep it warm. In the morning, take the lid off and microwave for about 5 minutes. You'll have about a cup of VERY filling oatmeal for 140 Calories. I actually like the texture a bit better this way vs the 45 minute simmer.