Resting heart rate

2»

Replies

• richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    To those that track RHR, like with a Fitbit, what do you consider a deviation from norm which might trigger you to say "hey, I need a rest day" or "maybe I'm not getting enough sleep" mine has ranged from 45-47 for 3 months and recently jumped to and held 50 for several days.
  • Hanibanani2020
    Hanibanani2020 Posts: 523 Member
    My RHR fluctuates from 47-55 and I’ve never been concerned. It jumped to 89 one day and that afternoon I came down with bad flu that lasted nine weeks so that was a good indication. If you’re worried I would seek medical advice though.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,030 Member
    To those that track RHR, like with a Fitbit, what do you consider a deviation from norm which might trigger you to say "hey, I need a rest day" or "maybe I'm not getting enough sleep" mine has ranged from 45-47 for 3 months and recently jumped to and held 50 for several days.

To me, it's more like one of the gauges on the multi-gauge dashboard.

If I notice my RHR is up, I'd think about what else is going on, and consider why. If it makes me realize my workout performance is sputtering a little, for no other obvious reason, or something like that, then I might take a rest day. Looking at the sleep data (even though my tracker does a stupid-ridiculous job tracking that) would give me hints about whether the issue is sleep rather than training overload, or, frankly, just thinking about what sleep has been like the past few days. Other considerations: Did I overeat (or over-drink) recently? Could I be coming down with something (stuffed up or other symptoms)? Am I a little puffy (water retention)? Etc.

That's making me sound like a hypochondriac, but I swear I'm not. My point is that RHR is just one indicator, and other factors are involved in evaluating it.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    My RHR fluctuates from 47-55 and I’ve never been concerned. It jumped to 89 one day and that afternoon I came down with bad flu that lasted nine weeks so that was a good indication. If you’re worried I would seek medical advice though.

Wasnt worried so much as trying to figure out how large "normal" variations can be.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,030 Member

Wasnt worried so much as trying to figure out how large "normal" variations can be.

Lately - with a little lower consistent activity/exercise during shelter-at-home, mine's mostly been hanging out in the low to mid 50s, say 52-56, usually. For a day or two here or there, for various reasons, it'll hop up to mid-60s, say 64-66. (Usually, I have some inkling why, but not always.)

If you're not noticing anything else weird when yours jumps to 50 for a few days, from the mid to high 40s, I personally wouldn't see any big reason to worry. But I have no expertise whatsoever, just experience. :lol:
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    I don't look at it too much, but oddly I more monitor against it going too low rather than looking for it to get lower.
    When I initially dieted to my lowest weight, I had issues with hunger and energy that were at least in part because I was leaner than I thought I was, and a DEXA scan showed me that.
    When I looked back retrospectively at my RHR, I saw that it was incredibly low. I had mornings with an RHR in the 30s.
    I've never had my RHR that low since, even when I've been in better aerobic fitness.
  • flagrantavidity
    flagrantavidity Posts: 217 Member
    I would be curious if my heart rate is one of the reasons I used to sweat all the time.

So, through my teens and through my twenty's I sweat through shirts, it was quite normal for me to sweat through multiple shirts in a day even though I was inactive. I bought special undershirts with a pad in the armpit to save my nicer collard dress shirts. I could be driving in a car with the AC on MAX and sweat through a shirt, annoying. I started exercising and paying attention to my health in my 30's, I noticed when I stopped exercising for a year is when I started sweating like mad again, when I regularly exercise I don't sweat when i'm inactive.