Oats don't fill me up at all

Options
13»

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Aren't they supposed to be slow energy releasing carbs? That satiate? They do nothing for me but taste good. I'm famished under 2 hours later. That's will a banana mashed in, raisins, skimmed milk and a tsp peanut butter. Come to think of it, the only thing that fills me at breakfast time is toast(s) and eggs.

Anyone else find that oatmeal/porridge doesn't fill them up?

This is exactly me. The only breakfast food that fills me up for four/five hours is scrambled eggs on toast. Oats especially, I am consistently hungry two hours later. It's so frustrating because scrambled eggs on toast are well over a third of my daily calories and probably not good for me - but it's all that fills me up. I even tried bulking up my oats with nuts and seeds and fruit, to try and up the protein count, thinking maybe it was the protein. Nope; still hungry two hours later, like clockwork. I have to reserve oats for my days off, because if I eat them on work days I literally get to the point where I almost pass out from hunger. I get dizzy. It's like the stuff goes straight through me.

Nuts and seeds are actually a better source of fat than protein. Eggs and toast is likely a higher protein breakfast. Unless you have a problem with gluten, why wouldn't it be good for you?

Two large eggs cooked in zero calorie spray plus one piece of 70 cal bread and 5 g of butter is only 249 calories. (Which wouldn't be enough calories for me for breakfast.)

If your eggs and toast equal 1/3 of your calorie goal, you are probably using more fat and/or bread than you need to, and/or have a lower calorie goal than necessary.

75034b77c1b1753d9df525765cac9ce7.png

9kjwnia17qv9.jpg

https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/1200-calorie-diet/
  • tequierosince06
    tequierosince06 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I dont like oatmeal. As a kid I was forced to eat oatmeal daily and I never eat it again until I became an adult. I can only have a small bowl (less than half of a cereal bowl) and I have to eat it with toast. I cant eat it by itself. Oatmeal makes me hungry. Way more hungry than eggs & toast & more hungry than my protein cereal (which I cant eat eggs by istelf either, I really dont enjoy breakfast in case u cant tell).

One day I bought protein powder & thought it was a great idea to add a whole scoop to my small bowl of oatmeal. It was so terrible. So much powder. So much! I couldn’t get it all to dissolve. Kept adding more milk. The taste of straight up vanilla protein powder along with the already meh taste of oatmeal. I almost gagged the whole time but I ate the whole thing, got all my protein in. I havent had oatmeal since then, like 2mo ago.
  • age_is_just_a_number
    age_is_just_a_number Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Consider adding protein like an egg or yogurt.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    Aren't they supposed to be slow energy releasing carbs? That satiate? They do nothing for me but taste good. I'm famished under 2 hours later. That's will a banana mashed in, raisins, skimmed milk and a tsp peanut butter. Come to think of it, the only thing that fills me at breakfast time is toast(s) and eggs.

Anyone else find that oatmeal/porridge doesn't fill them up?

Carbs in general don’t fill me up much. I enjoy them and find them better as a fast energy source before a workout or right after if I’m famished. Of the macros fat sources like avocado or nuts tend to fill me up the longest
  • flagrantavidity
    flagrantavidity Posts: 218 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Oats as part of a broader breakfast that includes fats and protein - usually in the form of a breakfast shake. My go to is oats, greek yogurt, kale, avocado, chia seeds, banana, peanut butter powder, mixed fruit fresh or frozen - if frozen 8 - 16 drops of liquid stevia, on a unsweetened almond milk base liquid. I make two shakes for two breakfasts and it keeps me satiated for 4 hours, until lunch. I keep my breakfasts light about 250 calories, 5-700 lunch, and the rest for dinner. I am in maintenance which is 2100 without exercise - I eat my exercise calories back. I am trying to recomp, and while bio-electrical scales are notoriously inaccurate, it is showing trends overtime that I am gaining muscle and loosing fat overtime as I workout. I like large dinners - dinner and evening is when I am the most hungry even before watching my health and paying attention to my diet and exercise.

Everyone is different, find what works for you! :)

Edit: Didn't realize how old this thread was - just adding my two cents for whomever is reading..
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    When mixing your oatmeal mix in bit by bit a whisked up egg. Tastes really good - and you can have it savory or sweet (toppings).

Just oatmeal doesn't do it for me either - I need protein and fat too

***Ha...I didn't realize this post was 4 years old either!
  • Kupla71
    Kupla71 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I also don’t find oatmeal filling. I prefer eggs and toast. You are not alone.
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Interesting thread.

I find steel cut oats the most filling food out there, bar none. One bowl of steel cut oats and I'm good to go without hunger pangs allllll the way to my next meal, however long it takes. The problem is I just don't love them. Faced with a choice between oatmeal or eggs/bacon/omelette/hash browns, etc., I find it super hard to actually choose the oats LOL
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    I know this is an old thread but I'm here to throw shade at oats too. Had some for lunch and all downhill from there 🤣 I've been at this long enough to know not to do it but sometimes I live recklessly.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    For what it’s worth steel cut oats barely raise my blood glucose and it drops just as quickly. Compared to other foods with the number of net carbs and amount of fiber on paper, they hardly seem to act as carbs to my body at all.

If you find oats flavorless, my favorite trick is vanilla extract plus a teaspoon of cacao powder, after cooking them with Granny Smith Apples, cinnamon, and orange zest. The zest and extract hardly have any calories and really pump up the flavor. Cranberries are another low-sugar fruit with a lot of flavor punch for the calories.
  • FossilFusion
    FossilFusion Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I mix oats with Almond Milk, Nuke in Microwave for 2 mins on high heat, then 2 mins on a lower heat. Then, add a Whey Protein, mix in with some more Almond Milk. Microwave for min on low heat. Then top with fruit/nuts and peanut butter. Yummy!